All-New Member

Default Moira true motive might not be noble

You can say the protection and the survival of mutants kind but what if there were more Moira is not telling. i read dawn of x again and i began to have doubt of her story while i believe her on protection and the survival of mutants. And while her fear any precognitive mutant could be justified but it would make more sense telling the x-men (she know for years) about what to come rather than let them believe mutants kind is safe. I speculate the reason moira fear of precognitive mutants that they could see something that she didnt want xavier and magneto to know. i also speculate that moira allow Xavier these lives' memories to further her goal.

Quote Originally Posted by MagyesV View Post
    You can say the protection and the survival of mutants kind but what if there were more Moira is not telling. i read dawn of x again and i began to have doubt of her story while i believe her on protection and the survival of mutants. And while her fear any precognitive mutant could be justified but it would make more sense telling the x-men (she know for years) about what to come rather than let them believe mutants kind is safe. I speculate the reason moira fear of precognitive mutants that they could see something that she didnt want xavier and magneto to know. i also speculate that moira allow Xavier these lives' memories to further her goal.
    I’ve thought this as a possibility since day 1. Still do.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by MagyesV View Post
    But they showed 9 lives of Moira where she first understand and then incessantly work to ensure mutant survival in any way she can conceive. Why do you think it would make more sense to reveal to anyone she experienced the doom of the mutant race no matter what? It would demoralise a lot of people therefore sabotaging hampering their attempt to unite them and make them with Krakoa: a lot of people could start thinking that's a useless task, that is doomed to fail, that if she tried several times and failed she is not the right person to follow and so on; that's also the reason precogs are not allowed, they could see her plan and expose her, see a future that may happen or not where Krakoa falls and use it against her, especially if these precogs are not on the good side, they could also be used by enemies or anti mutant countries to sabotage Krakoa.

We also saw her diary, where it doesn't make sense she would lie (it's her diary) and nothing there suggests something nefarious or particularly different. Is she hiding something from Xavier and Magneto too? Probably, the same way Xavier and Magneto hide some things from her, everyone think they know better. But she is also the first to admit that the mission is "making her a worse person", because she has to lie and manipulate people, something that suggest her intentions are not bad, if they were she would not care.

Finally, what these ulterior motives would be? I find hard to come around the idea one thinks she has ulterior motives without being able to say what these motives could be, or at least being able to give reasons why she should have them, what makes him think so and so on.

There is an important difference that you are not taking into account. Characters like Cable, Bishop or Rachel come from possible futures. In fact, some like Rachel's are already impossible. They speak of "a future". Precognitives speak specifically of the timeline they are on.

Considering Hickman's stated love of Dune, a book where the God-Emperor becomes a tyrant so that after his rule humanity will break up into thousands of smaller states so that they'll never actually die out, I can't help but think that's Moira's ultimate goal.

Very X-cited Member TheMutantTheorist's Avatar

I honestly don't understand the precog ban. With the help of their powers, they cant detect a threat before it even strikes. Destiny told Mystique to burn down Krakoa if they don't resurrect her making me think that Moira isn't all as good as we think she is. I'm sure Destiny isn't selfish enough to tell her wife to burn down a mutant paradise for no reason, she even killed Moira in one of her previous lives because she developed a mutant cure.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheMutantTheorist View Post
    I honestly don't understand the precog ban. With the help of their powers, they cant detect a threat before it even strikes. Destiny told Mystique to burn down Krakoa if they don't resurrect her making me think that Moira isn't all as good as we think she is. I'm sure Destiny isn't selfish enough to tell her wife to burn down a mutant paradise for no reason, she even killed Moira in one of her previous lives because she developed a mutant cure.
    The nature of moira's powers inevitably mean that she would develop a God/savior complex. Her death literally resets the universe and Destiny herself prophesized that she would get 10 maybe 11 lives. Basically Moira likes to be in control of things and she sees Destiny as well as other precogs as a threat to that control. Combine that with the thinking that this may be the last life she lives I'm sure that breeds a certain desperation.

Honestly I find the fact that Xavier and Magneto both agree with the ban even more interesting.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    The nature of moira's powers inevitably mean that she would develop a God/savior complex. Her death literally resets the universe and Destiny herself prophesized that she would get 10 maybe 11 lives. Basically Moira likes to be in control of things and she sees Destiny as well as other precogs as a threat to that control. Combine that with the thinking that this may be the last life she lives I'm sure that breeds a certain desperation.

Honestly I find the fact that Xavier and Magneto both agree with the ban even more interesting.
    Moira, Magneto, and Xavier should assess that. I mean by Moira faking her death and hiding in no space they have somewhat. But would resurrection her help? We also don’t know for sure if those other universes really got reset when Moira died. Neither does Moira. They may very well have continued.

Ultimate Member

I'm interested in how Moira has gone from a world where her son is raised in a cage, unable to live a life of any sort, because he has to flat out murder people just to survive, to a carefully-curated world where he is an integral part of 'the Five,' the linchpin of this new mutant society, and with a built in group of friends that are kind of inseparable from him.

Whatever else Moira has done, she seems to have baked in a far better life for her son than any she could previously give him.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I'm interested in how Moira has gone from a world where her son is raised in a cage, unable to live a life of any sort, because he has to flat out murder people just to survive, to a carefully-curated world where he is an integral part of 'the Five,' the linchpin of this new mutant society, and with a built in group of friends that are kind of inseparable from him.

Whatever else Moira has done, she seems to have baked in a far better life for her son than any she could previously give him.
    Just started reading the Claremont issues for the first time. Just got to say knowing the Moira retcon that Hickman introduced these issues are kind of funny. Haven't heard be casually introduced as Xavier as housekeeper and then a few issues later casually revealing that she has this gigantic mutant a research facility. I love it.