Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default How Many People Know Batman's Identity?

Pre Crisis, Post Crisis, Post Flashpoint, Elsworlds, etc.

I posted a thread similar to this one months back but this thread is more general and encompassing.

Currently:

- The Big Seven of the Justice League (switching in either Cyborg or Martian Manhunter where appropriate)

- Lucius Fox

- The entire Batfamily (including Huntress?)

- Zatanna

- The Joker

- Leslie Thompkins

- Jim Gordon (depending on who you ask)

- Bane

- Catwoman

- Gotham Girl

- Jacob Kane

- Hush (natch)

The main villains that know Batman's Secret identity have traditionally been Ra's Al Ghul, Talia Al Ghul, Hush, and Hugo Strange.

What I don't get is why they don't leak the information that Bruce Wayne is Batman. I understand that Ra's and Talia have a grudging respect for Batman but what do Hush and Hugo Strange have to lose?

Pre-COIE, Superman, of course, but so did the a good number of the JLA as time passed (there's an early bronze age story where they recount what prompted them to share their secret identities with each other). Silver St. Cloud learned in the bronze age. Jimmy Olsen (since World's Finest #144).

I think Titans who know Dick's identity have to know Bruce's.

Lois, in more recent times (not really sure when she found out, publish-date-wise).

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    The main villains that know Batman's Secret identity have traditionally been Ra's Al Ghul, Talia Al Ghul, Hush, and Hugo Strange.

What I don't get is why they don't leak the information that Bruce Wayne is Batman. I understand that Ra's and Talia have a grudging respect for Batman but what do Hush and Hugo Strange have to lose?
    Hush is obsessed with Bruce Wayne
    Hugo Strange considers Batman/Bruce an interesting subject of mental illness and want to analyze him himself.

On top of everyone already mentioned:

Two-Face

Amanda Waller

The top people at Spyral

The whole dang Court and Parliament of Owls.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    The top people at Spyral
    Which would mean Huntress knows, Frontier, as she used to be Spyral's Matron.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Which would mean Huntress knows, Frontier, as she used to be Spyral's Matron.
    Who's Frontier and when was she Matron?

I'm Frontier and she was Matron of Spyral during Dick's time there.

Oh I thought there's a character named Frontier and she was Matron
    Yeah Huntress knows

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Thanx for making me laugh. Well done, sir/madam

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post

Hugo Strange doesn't have confirmation that Bruce is Batman and Hush hates Bruce.

Plus, if you take Bruce Wayne out of Batman, you're left with a highly trained, highly motivated individual who is devoted to nothing else but kicking your @$$. Who would want that?

You're looking at maybe more than 3 dozen people if you tally up the Satellite Era Justice League, the original Outsiders, the New Teen Titans and the rest of the Bat-Family.

BANNED

Its surprising how too many villains know his identity but somehow its not exposed to the public. Ra's, Bane, Hush, Hugo Strange in all continuities, Killer Moth in Silver Age, Riddler in post crisis, Two-Face in new 52, Joker in rebirth. I think even Ivy knows who Batman is after "Everybody loves Ivy".
    Last edited by prepmaster; 12-30-2020 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    Its surprising how too many villains know his identity but somehow its not exposed to the public. Ra's, Bane, Hush, Hugo Strange in all continuities, Killer Moth in Silver Age, Riddler in post crisis, Two-Face in new 52, Joker in rebirth. I think even Ivy knows who Batman is after "Everybody loves Ivy".
    Supposedly the first arc in the Rebirth Trinity run was going to end with Ivy knowing their identities, but that was editorially vetoed.

I think it was implied she figured out Batgirl's identity in a Rebirth issue (and in Birds of Prey?), but that never went anywhere.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Supposedly the first arc in the Rebirth Trinity run was going to end with Ivy knowing their identities, but that was editorially vetoed.

I think it was implied she figured out Batgirl's identity in a Rebirth issue (and in Birds of Prey?), but that never went anywhere.
    Batman's dual identity has never been written to his advantage but more like something to be figured out by his villains. With Ivy, i believe that Bruce Wayne actually helps her more, acts more like a sympathetic friend to her than as Batman. The same could be said for Two Face.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 12-30-2020 at 05:22 PM.