Page 22 of 45 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

The claim WB wasn’t chasing or didn’t need to chase the MCU is kind of irrelevant. Regardless of whether one thinks it’s warranted, it happened. It’s not a coincidence that there’d been DC movies for decades, and yet they only decide to create a shared movie universe with crossovers after Iron Man came out and was a huge hit.

That’s not an inherently bad thing; Marvel and DC have been copying the other’s trends from the beginning. But pretending it flat out didn’t happen or that it wasn’t what WB was doing is laughable. I even remember there being interviews around 2009 or so where they flat out said Iron Man convinced them to try to do something similar with Green Lantern.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    The claim WB wasn’t chasing or didn’t need to chase the MCU is kind of irrelevant. Regardless of whether one thinks it’s warranted, it happened. It’s not a coincidence that there’d been DC movies for decades, and yet they only decide to create a shared movie universe with crossovers after Iron Man came out and was a huge hit.

That’s not an inherently bad thing; Marvel and DC have been copying the other’s trends from the beginning. But pretending it flat out didn’t happen or that it wasn’t what WB was doing is laughable. I even remember there being interviews around 2009 or so where they flat out said Iron Man convinced them to try to do something similar with Green Lantern.
    True. And not to forget only after the first Guardians movie made a lot of money Warner started looking into making movies not about Batman or Superman. If not they would have made a lot of Batman movies and a Superman one ever so often.

BANNED

It was not necessary for DC to do a shared universe. they felt they had to have one because that was the new thing in Hollywood.

However, DC never needed one. One reason why the shared universe worked well in the MCU was because MCU did not have most of their A list characters. they sold them, they had characters no one cared about originally, so giving them movies and linking them struck an appeal that was quite original but DC never needed to have Superman, Wonder Woman or Batman be in a single movie. it was just not necessary.

I think one user said it best, feature film movies just have a higher calling. MCU needed the MCU for Thor, GOTG, Avengers, Iron Man, Ant Man, Black Panther, Shang CHI

You don't need a DCEU for many DC characters and even all DC characters because WB can artistically do more than Marvel and step out of a safe zone by not having anything connect together.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    It was not necessary for DC to do a shared universe. they felt they had to have one because that was the new thing in Hollywood.

However, DC never needed one. One reason why the shared universe worked well in the MCU was because MCU did not have most of their A list characters. they sold them, they had characters no one cared about originally, so giving them movies and linking them struck an appeal that was quite original but DC never needed to have Superman, Wonder Woman or Batman be in a single movie. it was just not necessary.

I think one user said it best, feature film movies just have a higher calling. MCU needed the MCU for Thor, GOTG, Avengers, Iron Man, Ant Man, Black Panther, Shang CHI

You don't need a DCEU for many DC characters and even all DC characters because WB can artistically do more than Marvel and step out of a safe zone by not having anything connect together.
    DC didn’t need to do a shared universe but that doesn’t change the fact that they attempted it and are still doing it.

The billions that Marvel made pretty much had Hollywood scrambling to put together shared universes. Sony is trying to put together one.

The only difference is that Marvel did it successfully and got critical acclaim along the line.

I just love revisionist history

Ultimate Member

Yeah, Marvel couldn't rest on it's laurels. They had to make popular characters, and actors, no one had ever heard of. When I watched the first Iron Man, one of my friends turned to me and asked "Isn't Robert Downy Junior black?"

Tell me, what characters has Snyder uplifted?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    DC didnÂ’t need to do a shared universe but that doesnÂ’t change the fact that they attempted it and are still doing it.

The billions that Marvel made pretty much had Hollywood scrambling to put together shared universes. Sony is trying to put together one.

The only difference is that Marvel did it successfully and got critical acclaim along the line.
    DC in the MCU era has Man of Steel, TDK and Joker and also you can add Wonder Woman, still the only quality female comic book film in recent years.

TDK was the first film to make over a billion for a comic film, with no crossover like Avengers 2012.

Also when you look back, Man of Steel could have just been its own stand alone series, without needing Batman for a sequel.

yeah, I am going to stand by what I said, DC does not need a shared universe.

Please read my last post when I explained why shared universes only worked for Marvel C-List characters like GOTG, Antman, Thor, Black Panther, Iron Man, Eternals and the rest. Spiderman in a shared universe is laughable to watch and cringe worthy because us his fans, don't buy he is that into Tony Stark or the Avengers. The world of Spiderverse or the Spiderman PS4 game is genuinely more interesting for Spiderman to be in than the MCU.

X-MEN does not need a shared universe either, and neither does the fantastic 4.

Shared universes are truly more suited for C list characters that barely have any substantial stand alone universe that makes them uniquely interesting. So sharing and connecting works best for them.

Lastly Sony studios does not need a shared universe, Spiderverse is okay for now. Hands down objectively the best Spiderman related film since Spiderman 2 and sure, I have considered Spiderman Homecoming, Far from home, Endgame, Civil War, Infinity Wars , Venom and any other live action Spiderman related movie including Spiderman 3, Amazing Spiderman 1 and 2.
    Last edited by Castle; 06-24-2021 at 03:10 PM.

Ultimate Member

DC in the MCU era has Man of Steel, TDK and Joker and also you can add Wonder Woman, still the only quality female comic book film in recent years.

TDK was the first film to make over a billion for a comic film, with no crossover like Avengers 2012.

Also when you look back, Man of Steel could have just been its own stand alone series, without needing Batman for a sequel.

yeah, I am going to stand by what I said, DC does not need a shared universe.

Please read my last post when I explained why shared universes only worked for Marvel C-List characters like GOTG, Antman, Thor, Black Panther, Iron Man, Eternals and the rest. Spiderman in a shared universe is laughable to watch and cringe worthy because us his fans, don't buy he is that into Tony Stark or the Avengers. The world of Spiderverse or the Spiderman PS4 game is genuinely more interesting for Spiderman to be in than the MCU.

X-MEN does not need a shared universe either, and neither does the fantastic 4.

Shared universes are truly more suited for C list characters that barely have any substantial stand alone universe that makes them uniquely interesting. So sharing and connecting works best for them.

Lastly Sony studios does not need a shared universe, Spiderverse is okay for now. Hands down objectively the best Spiderman related film since Spiderman 2 and sure, I have considered Spiderman Homecoming, Far from home, Endgame, Civil War, Infinity Wars , Venom and any other live action Spiderman related movie including Spiderman 3, Amazing Spiderman 1 and 2.
    I'm not talking about what they need. Im talking about what they are actually doing.

The X-men movies are irrelevant because that's on hiatus until Feige and co decide what to do with them.

The studios are all rushing in to do the shared universe because Marvel made billions and got a ton of critical acclaim in the process.

I know that you hate the MCU eclipsed the Fox X-men (I mean, I dont recall any X-men movies making billions and or winning Oscars) but facts are facts.
    Last edited by Username taken; 06-24-2021 at 03:35 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I'm not talking about what they need. Im talking about what they are actually doing.
    Last I remember, DC or WB has said they won't be that keen on doing a primary shared universe anymore. Also if I was MCU, I think I will also slow down on the concept. the Avengers joke at the end of Eternals trailer after all the did not land and also, they have X-MEN now. the one marvel series , where even in the comics, the shared universe concept is almost next to irrelevant.

At this point I think only a few fans will be sad if Sony removes Spiderman from the MCU.

The shared universe concept is barely fresh anymore. all that can be done with it has been done after Endgame.

Ultimate Member

Exactly.

We all know that WB didn't need a shared universe. But the fact is they attempted it AFTER Marvel cleaned out.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Yeah, Marvel couldn't rest on it's laurels. They had to make popular characters, and actors, no one had ever heard of. When I watched the first Iron Man, one of my friends turned to me and asked "Isn't Robert Downy Junior black?"
    And I believe it was good for characters like Iron Man no one has ever heard off. MCU suited him.

Spiderman or Batman is a different case.

Superman

Cyborg

BANNED

The shared universe concept is barely fresh anymore. all that can be done with it has been done after Endgame.
    Somebody needs to get that memo to the comics. I'm not a fan of referencing the comics as relevant to the movies, but I do seem to recall the comic X-Men being pretty significant to the shared universe. The only reason, the only reason, they haven't been significant in the movies is because it was not actually possible. Fantastic Four never took off sufficiently well to make a crossover practical.

In any case, it's pretty lucky for Marvel that they took so much time doing the first shared universe that an entirely new generation is waiting for their own version of it, with stories written for them. There's a new target audience, and WB still hasn't figured that out.
    Last edited by green_garnish; 06-24-2021 at 03:57 PM.

Ultimate Member

Last I remember, DC or WB has said they won't be that keen on doing a primary shared universe anymore. Also if I was MCU, I think I will also slow down on the concept. the Avengers joke at the end of Eternals trailer after all the did not land and also, they have X-MEN now. the one marvel series , where even in the comics, the shared universe concept is almost next to irrelevant.

At this point I think only a few fans will be sad if Sony removes Spiderman from the MCU.

WB is still doing a shared universe. Flash, WW and Aquaman are still very much a part of it. You're right that they said they will make movies outside of it but they haven't abandoned it entirely. The Snyderverse part of it is dead though.

Marvel helped Sony resuscitate Spider-man after the Amazing Spiderman series underperformed. They can pull the character out of the MCU but im sure they'll grateful to Feige after Sony screwed up their last three Spiderman movies.

Marvel is a cultural machine now and they can now try new stuff. Its just time for them to experiment with different characters and concepts.

And the X-men were very relevant to the shared universe in comics particularly in the 80s. A lot of their stories from Asgardian Wars to Fall of the Mutants to Onslaught (in the 90s) crossed over into the main universe. Onslaught in particular led to Heroes Reborn.
    Last edited by Username taken; 06-24-2021 at 04:08 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Superman

Cyborg
    Sooo, I am pretty sure you just made the opposite case you intended to

BANNED

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Somebody needs to get that memo to the comics. I'm not a fan of referencing the comics as relevant to the movies, but I do seem to recall the comic X-Men being pretty significant to the shared universe. The only reason,
    No it does not at least Not really in the external concept. lol.

The movies rights may have been owned by Fox, but marvel still has the rights to their animations and games and the two main xmen cartoons made vague references to the larger marvel universe. they were mostly not relevant. X-MEN is maybe one of the only franchise apart from Spiderman where you get many fans who are just fans of that one series, and don't care about the rest of the marvel universe.

Actually F4 took of well, much better than all the MCU characters. reason marvel also sold the film rights. additionally F4 is known for their very impressive mostly exclusive rogues gallery and very close intimate family unit feel. they don't need a shared universe due to that.
    Last edited by Castle; 06-24-2021 at 04:23 PM.