Page 29 of 45 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Nah, comic readers really are a tiny minority in general, and their influence is especially small in terms of the general movie going population. Just think about it, only a handful of comics move more than a 100k a month while the movie industry sells around 100 Million tickets a month.
    Yeah, seriously. There's no reason to cater to us, and frankly, I'd say that's the mistake a lot of non Marvel movies unintentionally make.

Matt Damon's DD tried to adapt the most popular DD arc. The New Mutants and Suicide Squad both tried to adapt the most popular stories in their history as well.

But lacking the set-up, and often vital characters, they fell flat.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Yeah, seriously. There's no reason to cater to us, and frankly, I'd say that's the mistake a lot of non Marvel movies unintentionally make.

Matt Damon's DD tried to adapt the most popular DD arc. The New Mutants and Suicide Squad both tried to adapt the most popular stories in their history as well.

Did you mean Ben Affleck?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Did you mean Ben Affleck?
    Eh, one of those overrated actors

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Nah, comic readers really are a tiny minority in general, and their influence is especially small in terms of the general movie going population. Just think about it, only a handful of comics even manage to move more than a 100k a month while the movie industry sells around 100 Million tickets a month.

And members of the general population becoming comic book readers? It's an almost non-existent number.
    There's no question of that. Look at all the complaining about the new Star Wars movies on forums and youtube. Yet look at the money they've made. Clearly, somebody likes them. I'll call them the silent majority. Fans have opinions both substantial and not substantial but I would question whether forums and youtube videos are a reliable base from which movie companies should set future creative endeavors. Ticket sales tell the tale of popularity.
    Power with Girl is better.

Ultimate Member

I wouldn't say there's no reason to appeal to fans at all. Although some take things too far, how many actually want stories with no set up

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    There's no question of that. Look at all the complaining about the new Star Wars movies on forums and youtube. Yet look at the money they've made. Clearly, somebody likes them. I'll call them the silent majority. Fans have opinions both substantial and not substantial but I would question whether forums and youtube videos are a reliable base from which movie companies should set future creative endeavors. Ticket sales tell the tale of popularity.
    80% of disney movies make money in billions of billions, even Episode 9 that people claim to hate still grossed over a billion. Captain marvel may have made a billion box but the film is made the exact same way as Ant Man, Endgame, Black Panther, Homecoming and the rest. I swear the Shang CHI train scene from the trailer looks one with captain marvel ,and comic films has had many train scenes that should be ''confusing''. Batman Begins, Spiderman 2, The Wolverine but I still can tell the differences with this films and their train fights.

Wonder Woman may have only done 800m but it feels as if Patty Jenkins got so much more out of that film than the directors of Captain Marvel. Also speaking of Jenkins, she walked away from Marvel because she said they were too controlling

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a9547056.html
    Wonder Woman director Patty Jenkins won’t direct Marvel film because bosses want ‘full control’

“The director is under control,” she told French magazine Premiere, adding: “Yes, it can happen. Furthermore, It shows immediately if a director cannot impose his/her vision. When this is the case, I get the impression that these people are doing a different job than me.”

If the director cannot impose their own vision, you end up with all the movies looking and made the same way from that particular studio. this is just pure maths.
    Last edited by Castle; 06-28-2021 at 05:03 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Agreed.

I completely hate the Fast and Furious movies but those movies are cleaning out the box office. It means the general audience loves them.

Online commentators (especially on YouTube) were jumping up and down about Captain Marvel and the Star Wars movies but those movies cleared a billion.

The problem with discourse online is that people can't separate their personal opinions from the actual fact. Just because we might not like something doesnt mean its bad.

Ultimate Member

The Captain Marvel and Star Wars stuff also had bigotry added to it though

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Absolutely.

It was so serious that one of the anti-SJW channels made over 100 videos about Brie Larson. 100 (one hundred) videos...pure insanity.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Yeah, true.

I wish things could just suck because they sucked :P

Ultimate Member

I have plenty of criticisms for both of those but I really got tired of all the bitter regressive reactions to anything remotely progressive in these series. They're over sensitive abkut absolutely nothing yet pretend to be about logic. One can demand accuracy to the source material without being an insane bigot

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    80% of disney movies make money in billions of billions, even Episode 9 that people claim to hate still grossed over a billion. Captain marvel may have made a billion box but the film is made the exact same way as Ant Man, Endgame, Black Panther, Homecoming and the rest. I swear the Shang CHI train scene from the trailer looks one with captain marvel ,and comic films has had many train scenes that should be ''confusing''. Batman Begins, Spiderman 2, The Wolverine but I still can tell the differences with this films and their train fights.

Wonder Woman may have only done 800m but it feels as if Patty Jenkins got so much more out of that film than the directors of Captain Marvel. Also speaking of Jenkins, she walked away from Marvel because she said they were too controlling

Wonder Woman director Patty Jenkins won’t direct Marvel film because bosses want ‘full control’

“The director is under control,” she told French magazine Premiere, adding: “Yes, it can happen. Furthermore, It shows immediately if a director cannot impose his/her vision. When this is the case, I get the impression that these people are doing a different job than me.”

If the director cannot impose their own vision, you end up with all the movies looking and made the same way from that particular studio. this is just pure maths.
    It's really funny you think you're making a point when that time in Marvel that Jenkins is talking is when Ike Perlmutter and the creative committee still had a say, and you're trying to pretend that's still the case even though it's been years since Perlmutter has been allowed involvement in the movies
    And you're not even saying how the films are alike you're just they are without any elaboration, other than a few movies having a scene on a train, even though Shang Chi scene is clearly on a bus.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, true.

I wish things could just suck because they sucked :P
    Movies could be disappointing and still be attacked for the "wrong reasons" so to speak.

Both things are kind of true regarding the Star Wars sequels.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post

I don't know about "billions of billions" but definitely agree that most Disney movies make big money. But that only shows the popularity of most of the products Disney puts out. It may show that the MCU is not vastly out of the ordinary by modern Disney standards but, like or dislike, it shows the popularity of that style whether I always like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Absolutely.

It was so serious that one of the anti-SJW channels made over 100 videos about Brie Larson. 100 (one hundred) videos...pure insanity.
    100% agreement with you and Mik. The sexism was insane. It was like Larson cannot even say sexism exists or try to even the playing field and get more women involved because, in the world of some conservatives, acknowledging sexism exists and compensating for it IS sexism in some strange twisted logic.

Black Panther wasn't a whole lot better. I think there was maybe one mention that racism even exists and that was enough to brand it SJW nowadays like we're all supposed to play this pretend game and let the bigots totally have their own way free of reality.