Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I think you could be confusing that for Black Panther and Iron Man sequels.

A lot of MCU actors were not the highest calibre actors, some were just starting out or not well known. Spiderman and X-Men had established actors. William Dafoe, Kristen Dusnt, Patrick Stewart, Ian Mckellen, Anna Paquin, Halle Berry, Cliff Robertson, kesley grammer, Brian Cox.

MCU went for mostly cheap unknown actors back then because their studio was small , they even went for RDJ when mostly everyone in Hollywood had written him off.

DOFP VFX killed off MCU Quicksilver. Spiderman 2 is still the only marvel oscar winner for vfx. Spiderman 1 VFX had James Cameron

So is this why Snyder this has many directors who back him .
    Oh Jesus what are you talking about. Xmen had great supporting characters but An unknown Hugh Jackman was the lead. Iron man had a stellar cast but let's looks at other films. Cap had Tommy Lee Jones , Stanley Tucci and Hugo Heaving. Chris Evans also while not as elevated as he is now was still as well known as a couple actors you listed. Thor had Natalie Portman, Skarsgard,Anthony Hopkins, and Rene Russo. GoTG had Zoe Saldana, Bradley Cooper, Glen Close, Michale Rooker, Josh Brolin,Benicio Del Toro,John C Reilly,Vin Diesel and Lee Pace. Black Panther had Chadwick,Michale B Jordan,Angela Basset,Forrest Whittaker, Lupito,Sterlin K Brown,Martin Freeman, Daniel Kaluuya and Andy Serkis. Any MCU movie with a lesser known Star has a great supporting cast. Your just making stuff up at this point.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Seriously?

I will say it again with context, Noone wants the critical acclaim of endgame, I prefer that of X1 at least I know it matters after 20 years.

I do ask the question with genuine thinking ? arent some of you even tired of the same fun and humour acclaim of MCU after 30 movies?

do you really think another series that had X1 or Logan will care about fun and humor endgame? HOW? That cannot be explained. because it is impossible.

I believe you.
    I was been sarcastic? again you will need to explain what is in endgame that anyone will wish for? endgame is great in the world of MCU, it has no bearing outside that world.

Or maybe it's about caving into toxic fandom? Also, why would we worry about it being better then Endgame? What's the point? (Also, if we were to engage in the question, the Snyder Cut has Zack Snyder going full throttle on the Snyder-ness of it all; it's doomed itself already.)
    Snyder is just a good film maker, I know his talents much better than whoever directed endgame.

If the movie was doomed WB and fans wont care.If anyone is toxic it's mostly the media who are still trying to silence snyder and those who are afraid the cut will be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I will say it again with context, Noone wants the critical acclaim of endgame, I prefer that of X1 at least I know it matters after 20 years.
    This right here sums up your entire argument. You're putting your personal opinion out there as a fact.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Oh Jesus what are you talking about. Xmen had great supporting characters but An unknown Hugh Jackman was the lead. Iron man had a stellar cast but let's looks at other films. Cap had Tommy Lee Jones , Stanley Tucci and Hugo Heaving. Chris Evans also while not as elevated as he is now was still as well known as a couple actors you listed. Thor had Natalie Portman, Skarsgard,Anthony Hopkins, and Rene Russo. GoTG had Zoe Saldana, Bradley Cooper, Glen Close, Michale Rooker, Josh Brolin,Benicio Del Toro,John C Reilly,Vin Diesel and Lee Pace. Black Panther had Chadwick,Michale B Jordan,Angela Basset,Forrest Whittaker, Lupito,Sterlin K Brown,Martin Freeman, Daniel Kaluuya and Andy Serkis. Any MCU movie with a lesser known Star has a great supporting cast. Your just making stuff up at this point.
    And Michelle Pfeiffer, Robert Redford, Michael Douglas, Brie Larsen Laurence Fishbourne

Don't forget the other part of my point: look at all the careers they launched. Jon Favreau, Chris Hemsworth, Tom Huddleston, Kirsten Dunst, etc etc

What gets me is the idea that the first X-Men movie was critically acclaimed and a great movie that is still remembered.

Well, it's remembered more or less for being a so-so movie that led to a franchise. But it's flaws were roundly criticized. To paraphrase the director who was brought in to fix the third act: the problem with the third act is the first two acts.

I don't think Endgame is the ultimate superhero movie or the best in the line but it is the culmination of a series of over 20 movies that, in terms of popularity, have outdone everything that has ever been done in the movie superhero genre.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    What gets me is the idea that the first X-Men movie was critically acclaimed and a great movie that is still remembered.

Well, it's remembered more or less for being a so-so movie that led to a franchise. But it's flaws were roundly criticized. To paraphrase the director who was brought in to fix the third act: the problem with the third act is the first two acts.
    What happens to a frog when it is struck by lightning?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    Odd that they kept that scene/line, but removed another scene that gave some historical context for what Magneto was attempting.

Internal logic wasn't a big thing in superhero movies for a while. Just ask DD

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    I'd also arque that Wonder woman also qualifies as a famous name most people know little about. The most generous explanation for what Snyder did to the DCU is that he had a severe lack of knowledge of the characters. Marvel may have had a lot of leeway, but it's significant they chose not to use it and Snyder chose to use leeway he couldn't really justify.
    I can understand people not agreeing with Snyder's vision, but I'll never understand this "Snyder has no knowledge of the characters" argument.

MOS and BvS are heavily inspired by a lot of Post-COIE Superman material. Affleck's Batman is modelled after DKR. His vision for JL reveals a deep knowledge of Darkseid and Apokolips, as well as the Flashpoint storyline to an extent. Yes, he's chosen to look at the DCU from a 'darker' and more realistic perspective, but a lot of what he did has roots in the comics.

I mean, I don't care much for Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor, but Luthor manipulating Batman into a conflict with Superman sounds like something the comic-book Luthor could do. Agree or disagree with Superman killing Zod (and I personally think its one of the most powerful moments in a Superman movie ever), it is something that literally happened in the comics!

BvS, while a great movie IMO, does have its flaws. But I don't think its flaws have anything to do with Snyder 'not understanding' the characters.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I can understand people not agreeing with Snyder's vision, but I'll never understand this "Snyder has no knowledge of the characters" argument.

MOS and BvS are heavily inspired by a lot of Post-COIE Superman material. Affleck's Batman is modelled after DKR. His vision for JL reveals a deep knowledge of Darkseid and Apokolips, as well as the Flashpoint storyline to an extent. Yes, he's chosen to look at the DCU from a 'darker' and more realistic perspective, but a lot of what he did has roots in the comics.

I mean, I don't care much for Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor, but Luthor manipulating Batman into a conflict with Superman sounds like something the comic-book Luthor could do. Agree or disagree with Superman killing Zod (and I personally think its one of the most powerful moments in a Superman movie ever), it is something that literally happened in the comics!

BvS, while a great movie IMO, does have its flaws. But I don't think its flaws have anything to do with Snyder 'not understanding' the characters.
    I would counter that this weakens the level to which he understands the characters. He chose to try to build an entire shared universe on what I consider to be the worst moments from comics. Building what was jarring in the comics, and cannot be applicable to every character they hoped to introduce, seems like a lack of understanding and long term vision.

Compare that with something like Civil War. Absolutely horrible story in the comics, behaviors and beliefs grossly out of character, but when it came to the movie they found a way to make the basic concept work within the context of the movie, and within the context of the larger Thanos arc.
    Last edited by green_garnish; 12-31-2020 at 10:20 AM.

They become Frog Thor?

I think Snyder knows the source material but puts the emphasis and focus on the wrong elements, at least wrong insofar as what WB/DC intended and what general audiences were expecting.

Yeah, that just illustrates a lot of the movie's problems. Saw an interview with Bryan Singer and the assistant director of the first X-Men movie.

Singer: I didn't write that line. They brought in a "script doctor" who wrote that horrible line.

Assistant Director: Do you know what really happens to a frog when it gets hit by lightning?

Singer: I'm afraid to ask but what?

Assistant: It croaks.

Singer: Where were you when they were writing that line? That's perfect.

It gets even better with Joss Whedon, who was the script doctor who was brought in to "fix" the third act. Rather than just admitting he wrote a horribly bad line, he tries to defend it by attacking Halle Berry, saying that any decent actress would realize the line was meant to be delivered tongue-in-cheek but the "Oscar winner" delivers the line like she's playing Lady MacBeth, implying that there were reasons other than her acting that got her an Oscar.

There are many flaws but most people who dislike them just don't like that approach to the stories. It's sort of like the people who would say the people making Hercules the Legendary Journeys didn't know anything about Greek mythology. The counter being that, if they didn't know the source material, they should have stopped doing variations on minute details of the source material.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    They become Frog Thor?
    No, that is what happens when a frog finds a little walking stick and slams it on the ground

BANNED

No, that is what happens when a frog finds a little walking stick and slams it on the ground
    Or Fat Thor?

No offence but this is why I dont get how anyone can say, they wish for endgame reviews. I think people should find it weird critics thought there was nothing wrong with Fat Thor.

I can name 3 films from my head right now that treated what would be fat thor much better with better acclaim written about it.

Fat Thor was not even fun and his humor fell flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    This right here sums up your entire argument. You're putting your personal opinion out there as a fact.
    There is something about many people's opinions of appreciating when comic films are more than fun, toys, bubblegum colors, cgi and humour that is always reminiscent for decades to come.

Wonder Woman 1 will be remembered more than 2, for many reasons. Its grounded world war 1 setting is an important factor to that.