Quote Originally Posted by Potanical Pardon View Post
Movie was way better than I expected it to be. I really liked the writing and Pedro Pascal. Cheetah was fine enough for me. The only thing I didn't like was the movie was too long. The believability of how the world fell apart is ridiculous but that's fine, because I get what the film was going for. I also think Diana was a bit too holier-than-thou at times, which the character does have self-awareness of as it's her arc, but I wish way more characters than just the villains called her out on it. Whenever someone did bring it up, she just stoically stared back defiantly in denial.

IMO, I think Max was a good guy. He's a liar, yeah, but even when that one guy called him a con he strongly wanted to will that to not be true. So the effort is there from him to provide everything for his son that his own parents could not. That's completely understandable. As with all the other characters' motivations because "When is it my turn? Just once," resonates. And that was my favorite aspect of the movie because every main character: Max, Diana, Barbara all sacrificed and put efforts in their own ways - others before self, as opposed to the mass wish scene where that was just sheer greed.
The thing is, we didn’t really see why max was the way he was until the end; he had an abusive childhood, no friends in school or college (and how did he get there?) he pulled himself up but could only get so far. He had a kid, but at times he acted like the kid was a burden. Without going into detail, max reminds me of some people I intersected with in my life that annoyed me, for different reasons. And I’m starting to reevaluate the character because of it.