Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

I loved it. Thought it was on par with the first one. Diana's kindness and emotional vulnerability make her such a human, relatable superhero. She just wanted one thing for herself and wasn't allowed to have it. Imagine having to go through immortality pining for someone who died a century ago, but to you, it feels like it was moments ago. She has scars on her soul that will never heal and that makes her such a great character.

Astonishing Member

Pretty disappointed with 1984. Happy with Gadot's performance. Not happy with the amount of action or rather lack of action. Liked the first WW movie better, and I honestly didn't like the first one that much. Movie was too long, should have been shorter. Enjoyed the Cheetah's appearance but her screen time was too short. Would give this movie a C.

If COVID never happened I wonder if this movie would have been able to cross over 300M in NA. Definitely think it would have made a lot less worldwide than the first WW. Really hoping the third movie will have lots of action.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    So that's three people so far that have skipped the part I said about them having the same conversation, despite quoting me.

Now I remember why I don't post often. That gets annoying as hell.
    You didn't say "the same conversation", you said "that particular conversation." If it's important for you to want people to acknowledge that aspect of your post, then maybe you could have been more specific and articulated your point. But again, I will just say what I did before - movies are full of coincidences and contrivances. Callbacks and repeating conversations/images etc are a shorthand to connect one scene to a previous scene. But of course it's subjective how much coincidence will stretch someone's suspension of disbelief. For a movie based on a magic wishing rock, I was okay with it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    I want to hear these same arguments when the next Marvel film comes out.
    MCU movies get a lot of hate all the time, not just from the same posters here who hate for the sake of hating but various posters. Every single MCU movie has been targeted and there is no universally loved MCU film.

Extraordinary Member

If we're comparing it to Captain Marvel then WW84 wins hands down. Both are messy movies than can be boring for long stretches, but WW84 has much better characters, with there being no comparison between Gadot's charm, charisma, and emotion and Larson's block of wood, better humor, and its best action scene - the highway chase - is so much better than anything in Captain Marvel. There's an emotional core to WW84 that makes its flaws much more tolerable which Captain Marvel doesn't have, Captain Marvel's only advantage is that it's shorter. Also compared to New Mutants WW84 is freaking Citizen Kane. It doesn't hold a candle to the first Wonder Woman or most MCU movies though.

Mighty Member

That has to be one of the biggest coincidences in history, then. The former "home" of your dead boyfriend happens to bump into you on the street and have that particular conversation...

But sure, its possible, just not sure how plausible. But...possible.
    I once bumped into someone I went to high school with at a boutique shop in a city on an entirely different continent than the one where either of us live, and nearly 10 years after we went to school together. These things happen.

Also you're complaining about the plausability of what amounts to a pretty standard rom-com meet cute on account of the incredibly plausible circumstance that the deceased Steve Trevor's immortal soul was apparently caused to inhabit dude's body by a several millennia old magic wishing rock. Really?
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 12-28-2020 at 03:43 PM.

I was worried as soon as I seen Kevin Smith taking some shots at the film. The vast majority of Comic movies get a pass from him. BvS,Thor 2 and this are the hardest I've seen him go on a CBM.

Finally watched it tonight my wife didn't remember anything from the first films so we had to do a rewtch first. She really likes the first film but wasn't a big fan of this one. I personally didn't mind it but yea prefer the first one by a mile. I see why this one kinda tanked as more reviews came out. The rom-com stuff was good because Pine and Godot have great chemistry. So all that worked as long as you don't think too hard about some of the internal logic of the film. I'll avoid that weird rapey landmine. The action though through the whole movie was horrible compared to the first film. The freeway chase was the best scene and I didn't find it all that interesting either. It's a shame because there would be flashes of cool stuff in the action. In the mall where Diana comes running at the dude and slides to kick his leg out. Using the truck to vault her into the air on the freeway. They used the lasso way too much in the action. Some of it was just awkward for me. I think she literally threw it out at one point and grabbed a plane to launch herself in the air. I know it's a magical lasso but even my wife was shaking her head at that scene. I liked Barbara until she became Cheetah. Then couldn't care less about her. I actually really liked Maxwell lord though. The magic wishing rock was weird and I'm still not 100% on all the internal logic(Might rewatch it before he leaves HBO Max) but I enjoyed his performance. Overall I enjoyed the film but yea it's below most non Snyder DCEU stuff for me. I enjoyed Aquaman,Shazam, and Wonder Woman 1 more.

But yea I don't get the complaints of the film about coincidence or it being contrived. Most movies are.

Also thought they would hint that Circe was the one who embued the magic in the rock. Guess not, all we got was God of lies. So I'm guessing that was Dolos. Think Diana even said , He at some point when talking about it. Who knows Circe seems like the next step. Also really hope she goes home and the third film takes place in Themascryia mostly.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 12-28-2020 at 12:34 AM.

That has to be one of the biggest coincidences in history, then. The former "home" of your dead boyfriend happens to bump into you on the street and have that particular conversation...

But sure, its possible, just not sure how plausible. But...possible.
    I ran into someone at Disneyland who remembered me from my former job 600 miles from there..... on a different trip i ran into a friend from Australia at Disney.

Stuff happens. Lol

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    If we're comparing it to Captain Marvel then WW84 wins hands down. Both are messy movies than can be boring for long stretches, but WW84 has much better characters, with there being no comparison between Gadot's charm, charisma, and emotion and Larson's block of wood, better humor, and its best action scene - the highway chase - is so much better than anything in Captain Marvel. There's an emotional core to WW84 that makes its flaws much more tolerable which Captain Marvel doesn't have, Captain Marvel's only advantage is that it's shorter. Also compared to New Mutants WW84 is freaking Citizen Kane. It doesn't hold a candle to the first Wonder Woman or most MCU movies though.
    The thing is that the movie is average, just average. Captain Marvel is way below average both as a film and as an art format. If Captain Marvel sits at a 79% , WW 84 should be in the 90s.

I mean, you're not wrong, but I was trying to give Jenkins a sort of "out" for an otherwise elephant in the room...but neither bringing up "This guy deserves to live too", ever, rubs me the wrong way.

But I otherwise enjoyed this movie, its just the body hop was an asterisk, and, well, did feel kinda long in the middle. But yeah, I'd watch it again.
    I think everyone is going to agree that this was not good, it exposes a bigger pattern now going on in hollywood with the gender wars.

I am guessing a lot of men who are going to hate this movie, that will be their number 1 problem, it's just pure hypocrisy from female writers who have complained for so long that many female characters are just nothing more than candy for the males.

Also...I get the monkey paw aspect, but why was Diana's cost both Steve's in another body AND her power is slowly starting to wane? I wish it was one or the other not both.

Sadly, sadly, sadly. bad bad writing. It just felt out of nowehere but then again, I have never been a big fan of body swapping or characters sharing a body and all that stuff.

Extraordinary Member

I think we're supposed to be freaked out a little by Steve being in another man's body. It's part of the trick of the wish. You get what you wish for but it's partly a lie. Since Diana's power is connected to truth she starts to lose her power.

BANNED

Did I also miss something, the movie makes it look as if only diana is seeing chris pine as steve but later everyone else is seeing chris pine as steve when she introduces him at the white house.

This is why the love scene is going to get more controversial because it means once we stop looking at things from Diana point of view, diana is actually sleeping with a guy who she does not know and vice versa for the guy.

Now about that white house scene, it was alright and one of the better scenes with VFX but again I think Patty really dropped the ball here with the visual style of the movie. I have said many times that the comic book films that care a little bit more about realism suffer from less film making weakness.

When I was watching the white house scene, it reminded me of the white house scene from X-Men 2 with Nightcrawler and the VFX from that film looks much better. its the same problem comparing Dr strange VFX and Inception's VFX.

I wish many if not all this comic book directors will understand that live action translation should be the top priority when making a comic film than worrying about it looking exactly like the colourful comic book papers.
    Last edited by Castle; 12-28-2020 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I think we're supposed to be freaked out a little by Steve being in another man's body. It's part of the trick of the wish. You get what you wish for but it's partly a lie. Since Diana's power is connected to truth she starts to lose her power.
    The way you explain it would have been nice if it had been addressed that way in the movie, but I feel it was totally glossed over, which is what a lot of people seem to be saying. It would be one thing for Diana to need Steve around to help save the world, but there's no way Diana would have even considered it long-term if they actually presented it as "Steve can stay, but this random innocent has to die." That's why they didn't address it.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I wish many if not all this comic book directors will understand that live action translation should be the top priority when making a comic film than worrying about it looking exactly like the colourful comic book papers.
    We've seen a lot worse instances of "comic book movies" being draunched in crazy colors (Schumacher Batman...) to emulate comics, but this didn't strike me as that. It came across to me that Jenkins was more making "an 80's movie with Wonder Woman" more than trying to emulate comic books in tone or story. We've also seen the other end of the spectrum with Snyder's near-monotone and a lot of people gave him crap for that too.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    This is one part of the movie's internal logic that I was actually able to suss out for myself.

Some people were confused about what the opening sequence had to do with the rest of the movie. I'm thinking that the lesson she learned about cheating/taking shortcuts to get what you want is nothing more than a lie as Antiope said.

However, the Dreamstone also produces lies because a wish is AUTOMATICALLY a lie in this case. Using the magic stone to manifest your deepest wish is creating a lie because you are creating a false reality. Wishes are generally portrayed in fiction as something wonderful and magical, but in this movie, the wishes were bad because they could only become reality with the use of an outside magical force rather than through one's own efforts. Using the stone to get what you want was "cheating" as Diana did when she was a kid.

For example, wishing to be a rock star is ok if you achieve it through your own efforts, but if you cheat or take shortcuts or use a wishing stone to become a rock star than you didn't really achieve your goal. It was achieved FOR you with the aid of an outside force. It's just a lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Also thought they would hint that Circe was the one who embued the magic in the rock. Guess not, all we got was God of lies. So I'm guessing that was Dolos. Think Diana even said , He at some point when talking about it. Who knows Circe seems like the next step. Also really hope she goes home and the third film takes place in Themascryia mostly.
    Yeah, Diana found out it was Dolos aka the Duke of Deception, a villain that's been around since her early days in the 40's comics.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    This is one part of the movie's internal logic that I was actually able to suss out for myself.

Some people were confused about what the opening sequence had to do with the rest of the movie. I'm thinking that the lesson she learned about cheating/taking shortcuts to get what you want is nothing more than a lie as Antiope said.

However, the Dreamstone also produces lies because a wish is AUTOMATICALLY a lie in this case. Using the magic stone to manifest your deepest wish is creating a lie because you are creating a false reality. Wishes are generally portrayed in fiction as something wonderful and magical, but in this movie, the wishes were bad because they could only become reality with the use of an outside magical force rather than through one's own efforts. Using the stone to get what you want was "cheating" as Diana did when she was a kid.

For example, wishing to be a rock star is ok if you achieve it through your own efforts, but if you cheat or take shortcuts or use a wishing stone to become a rock star than you didn't really achieve your goal. It was achieved FOR you with the aid of an outside force. It's just a lie.
    Yeah spot on. She also did say in the beginning she wished she had learned from that mistake she made as a child. Or something to that that effect.