Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

WW84 felt more like a Netflix movie than a big summer blockbuster.

It wasn't a bad movie by any stretch of the imagination. It was aggressively ok.

A couple of things stood out:

1. The length. This movie needed better editing, it was darn too long.
    2. The tone was much lighter than the first and it was clearly a deliberate story telling choice. Like, no one died in the movie except Steve Trevor and the lady that was wished dead (I don't think we got confirmation on her).
    3. The trope of the main character losing their power for "what they love" is an odd storytelling choice. It's been done a number of times before, I don't know why they went for this.
    4. The movie didn't have very much action. And the action at the beginning was weirdly goofy, like Superman 3.
    5. Pedro Pascal and Kristen Wiig gave very good performances. They were definitely not the weak points of the movie.

All in all, it was a 6.5/10 movie. Not bad but not great.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I thought of QUANTUM LEAP also. My understanding of the show was that the person whose body is taken over is in the future and in Sam's physical form. Sam is in their physical form, but we see him as Sam--the form he's in is that person's actual body.
    No, it was Sam's physical body traveling through time. The people just saw some "time phantom aura" or whatever of the person he "leapt into" but it was a straight-up body swap (although their brains/memories were a little intermingled). And they did show the person in the "waiting room" at least once - dressed in a silver jumpsuit kinda like Sam in the opening....

Regarding the WWII thing, I'm glad they showed that she was active and doing something - that she did fight rather than stay away. The actual events are for another time. I mean, it could have been like "Captain America" where she was fighting some Nazi supervillains and that took up her time, or maybe she stopped the Nazis from hitting us with an atom bomb, or they could have pulled an "Inglorious Basterds" and for all we know, in the DCEU WW did stop the Holocaust or took down Hitler or brokered peace with the Japanese so that the atom bombs were never used, etc... it could have been anything.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 12-27-2020 at 09:56 AM.

Astonishing Member

On another hobby forum I frequent, the membership that discussed the film were universally negative. They were not DC fans and did not look for nuggets of something to like.

One question, the Lord takeover of the WH, the magic wishes across the world would have been a memorable event. Books, movies, TV coverage, academic studies etc. So why when Bats and Supes met Diana, they had no clue.

Also, the armor was played up and was just useless. Came apart from an attack of a not truly powerful villain. I had to laugh when I read a review that said Cheetah at the end looked like she escapes from Cats.

What a disappointment after the first movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I was rewatching it a few years ago. I don't remember if we ever saw the person in the future--they rarely showed much of the future--but Al often tells Sam what the person in the future is doing while Sam is in their body in the past.
    There was an episode where Sam is in the body of a criminal and the criminal escapes in the future. Al has to track him down and get him back to the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    On another hobby forum I frequent, the membership that discussed the film were universally negative. They were not DC fans and did not look for nuggets of something to like.

One question, the Lord takeover of the WH, the magic wishes across the world would have been a memorable event. Books, movies, TV coverage, academic studies etc. So why when Bats and Supes met Diana, they had no clue.

Also, the armor was played up and was just useless. Came apart from an attack of a not truly powerful villain. I had to laugh when I read a review that said Cheetah at the end looked like she escapes from Cats.

What a disappointment after the first movie.
    Even if the event was well-known, Diana wouldn't necessarily be. Remember nobody would have seen her involvement. They only saw Max Lord, a "golden light" and maybe heard a woman's voice.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    That reviewer needs to re-watch Cats, because while Cheetah didn't look perfect (and the overall fight scene wasn't amazing) she still looked way better than that.

Retired

It must have been a real problem for the trailer cutters when they put together the trailer for the movie. They couldn't use a lot of footage from the end of the movie, when Wondy is at full power--because that would give away the ending--and they had to use footage from earlier when she's actually losing in fights--yet the trailer had to make it look like she was winning, to sell the movie. Jenkins really left them with a big problem--they had to cut those scenes to make them appear completely the opposite.

And when I was watching those scenes, it gave me a kind of psychic vertigo--being pulled in two directions at the same time. Not really anyone's fault--just the way that trailers often work against the experience of seeing a movie for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    That reviewer needs to re-watch Cats, because while Cheetah didn't look perfect (and the overall fight scene wasn't amazing) she still looked way better than that.
    My "mother-in-law" muttered "oh she looks terrible!" when Cheetah appeared and all I could think was "uh bitch don't you dare." When Cheetah was moving really fast during the action scenes, yes, she looked awful. But when you saw her up close she looked like a tragic figure stepping right out of a Greek Myth. I loved the close-ups so much.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    My "mother-in-law" muttered "oh she looks terrible!" when Cheetah appeared and all I could think was "uh bitch don't you dare." When Cheetah was moving really fast during the action scenes, yes, she looked awful. But when you saw her up close she looked like a tragic figure stepping right out of a Greek Myth. I loved the close-ups so much.
    Weirdly, my roommate said "oh this is actually cool!" when we got the first close up of her face, since it was just Wiig in make up. I think all of us kinda gave up on the CGI at that point, so she didn't stand out as being worse than the rest of it. She looked better than CGI Diana in Goldar armor in some shots.

Also helps that all three of us had watched "Cats" together and laughed our asses off. I feel like the comparison is low hanging fruit at this point and people aren't really thinking it through.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Weirdly, my roommate said "oh this is actually cool!" when we got the first close up of her face, since it was just Wiig in make up. I think all of us kinda gave up on the CGI at that point, so she didn't stand out as being worse than the rest of it. She looked better than CGI Diana in Goldar armor in some shots.

Also helps that all three of us had watched "Cats" together and laughed our asses off. I feel like the comparison is low hanging fruit at this point and people aren't really thinking it through.
    The comparison was going to happen no matter what WW84 did, though. That said, I don't see as many people talking about how bad she looks as I was originally fearing, and most people seem to really dig Wiig's performance, so that's a plus. It's the script and plot that let the character down.

I haven't watched "Cats" but it's definitely in my top most hated movies of all time for ruining all cat-themed characters to general audiences. Cheetah looked nothing like the cats from "Cats" and the only reason people compare them is because that movie exists.

Diana is a rapist. I don’t get how this was conceived as a good idea

Saw it yesterday.

Thought it sucked and so did my wife.

Some of the VFX are really janky to say the least (why did the lasso regularly have slack when WW was swinging around on it?).

The Lebanon scene was pretty jaw dropping and highly surprising that it's in there at all. Professional critics have illustrated more markedly as to why it's a bit of a shocker.

My wife hated (HATED) that WW's plot arc was that she was pining for her man.

Gal Gadot is a terrible actor and only looks worse when next to her co-stars.

Didn't Sam father a daughter with one of the people he was trying to help (I think it was a three part story where he jumped to different points in her life)?
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    I still think it's pretty ambiguous as to whether she saw Steve physically as Steve or the other guy. But I don't know how important THAT is since there was no question it was Steve's soul inhabiting the guy's body. However she saw him was irrelevant.
    Strange, I thought it was implied that she did see Steve in the other guy, which is why she said "'He's great, but all I see is you" when he was done looking at the mirror. I sort of took it that when the guy's face transitioned to Steve's it was sort of a visual representation of what Diana was seeing the moment she realized it was him. Similar enough to a Doctor Who episode from the Peter Capaldi era where his companion Clara, who through Inception like dream nonsense, had aged like 70 or so years but the Doctor could only see her as her 20 something year old self.
    Last edited by GSman; 12-27-2020 at 11:33 AM.