Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 LastLast
    Incredible Member

the 80s theme was only mainly the mall scene - they used the same mall from stranger things and the out of touch clothing for trevor which mirrrors the first movie with diana. majority of the movie , you really don't feel the 80s vibe.

Last edited by marshal88; 01-05-2021 at 09:56 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marshal88 View Post
    it's not only superman 1 that the movie end up copying , it's superman 1-4 with all the cheesy dialogue , bad cgi and lapses in logic that ended up in the film.

cheetah end up looking like an extra on CATS.
    The CATS thing is really overblown. The CGI when she was bouncing around didn't look great, but not any worse than the rest of it. Her design in stationary shots, when it was make up and prosthetics, looked fine.

It's, IMO, a lazy low hanging fruit comparison. I want them to tweak her design further in the next film if she comes back because there is certainly room for improvement, but nothing is CATS level bad. And I watched that whole thing stone cold sober, it was nightmarish (and amazing)

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

An entire scene over the word loser... who greenlight this script?

Also despite the long run time why did they cut Diana & Barbara's "relationship" they went from just meeting to being best buds in mere minutes "Oh Barbara no one made me laugh more" scene then doesn't show us what she said that made Diana laugh.. Barbara wanting to be like Diana was also stupid went from not knowing this person to then idolising her. Like Ted from HMIYM saying I love you on the first date.

Steve completely wasted, Pine and Gadot's chemistry completey disappeared between films.

Double opening scenes were so good I don't know what happened, action set piece aside what was the point of the first opening scene other than probably to fulfil contracts. Thematically pointless.

The one time WB needed to interfere they don't.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    I think his relationship with his son was central to his character too. I also thought it was an afterthought to the script.
    That was a big problem for me. He was clearly meant to be sympathetic and give Lord emotional depth, but we don't get to know the kid at all, and Lord doesn't seem to want to spend any time with him. He's just a generic neglected kid. The plot device was so transparent.

Then at the end we get flashbacks to Lord's life, and I remember thinking...it's just too late. You can't retroactively garner sympathy with the mere knowledge that he had a hard, complicated life. We have to feel it. And I certainly didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    That was a big problem for me. He was clearly meant to be sympathetic and give Lord emotional depth, but we don't get to know the kid at all, and Lord doesn't seem to want to spend any time with him. He's just a generic neglected kid. The plot device was so transparent.
    He was a kid who wanted to spend time with his dad (and it was implied his mom was more concerned about her new boyfriend than her son which is why she shipped him off to Lord for the weekend) and loved him, I think it was fine for being that straightforward. Lord seemed to genuinely care about him but was too caught up with himself and being seen as a success by everyone to realize he needed to spend time with his son until the very end.
    Then at the end we get flashbacks to Lord's life, and I remember thinking...it's just too late. You can't retroactively garner sympathy with the mere knowledge that he had a hard, complicated life. We have to feel it. And I certainly didn't.
    I feel like it worked when they mentioned his last name and that he tried to reinvent himself, and the sequence served to really explain why he acts the way he does.

Extraordinary Member

The more time passes the more my opinion of the movie drops.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He was a kid who wanted to spend time with his dad (and it was implied his mom was more concerned about her new boyfriend than her son which is why she shipped him off to Lord for the weekend) and loved him, I think it was fine for being that straightforward. Lord seemed to genuinely care about him but was too caught up with himself and being seen as a success by everyone to realize he needed to spend time with his son until the very end.

I feel like it worked when they mentioned his last name and that he tried to reinvent himself, and the sequence served to really explain why he acts the way he does.
    None of that was nearly enough for me in terms of emotional climax. We can't just be briefly shown that characters go through something, we have to feel it with them to care.

Lord's son is essentially not a character in the film, so when they hug in this huge supposed climax, it felt hollow to me.

None of that was nearly enough for me in terms of emotional climax. We can't just be briefly shown that characters go through something, we have to feel it with them to care.

Lord's son is essentially not a character in the film, so when they hug in this huge supposed climax, it felt hollow to me.
    Agreed, Lord's whole flashback montage is too little, too late.

Tbh they could've excised Lords' character entirely and the movie would probably have been better for it. Just have Barbara and WW make a wish on the rock, later have Barbara make a 2nd wish. Of course this would bring the "superhero fights their opposite" trope even more into play but its already there and i think the movie would've been better with more time spent on Barbara, WW and Steve.

I suppose the other possibility would be to cut out Barbara and focus more on Lord, but you'd obviously need to add in some more action scenes w/o Barbara there to fight.

It hit for me, but I guess because it put everything into perspective as far as Lord's character after we had seen how he was in the present so it gave better context for why he ended up the way he did.
    He's a character that serves his function within the movie and we see more and more of Lord losing his humanity as he fails to connect with his son until he realizes his mistake in the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    Agreed, Lord's whole flashback montage is too little, too late.

Tbh they could've excised Lords' character entirely and the movie would probably have been better for it. Just have Barbara and WW make a wish on the rock, later have Barbara make a 2nd wish. Of course this would bring the "superhero fights their opposite" trope even more into play but its already there and i think the movie would've been better with more time spent on Barbara, WW and Steve.

I suppose the other possibility would be to cut out Barbara and focus more on Lord, but you'd obviously need to add in some more action scenes w/o Barbara there to fight.
    I appreciated that we had both the conventional Superhero fight (Wonder Woman vs Cheetah) and the unconventional Superhero fight (Diana vs Lord).

BANNED

My biggest problem with WW84, as I think more about it, is that it did absolutely nothing to drive her story forward. She started and ended in some nebulous place that wasn't WWI (it couldn't be) or Justice League (it couldn't be that either). There was zero development, and on that basis it fails as a standalone movie.

My biggest problem with WW84, as I think more about it, is that it did absolutely nothing to drive her story forward. She started and ended in some nebulous place that wasn't WWI (it couldn't be) or Justice League (it couldn't be that either). There was zero development, and on that basis it fails as a standalone movie.
    If you ignore BvS it movies her character forward. Shes finally letting go of Steve

Heroes like Indiana Jones didn't need to have "a story" and when they tried, it didn't work. (imo) Even if you don't see an arc for WW, you can take all her cinematic appearances into account, and this is where she was at that time period. For movies that are mostly based on action, heroes generally don't have an arc. Did Dirty Harry or James Bond have a real character arc over the course of their fifty movies? There are films where the hero does the "heroes journey" thing and/or there are films where the hero overcomes challenges and beats the bad guys - both can work if done well.

Also, I think this film actually does create an arc for the character. She goes from accepting that she lives only for others and not for herself to accepting that by letting go of Steve - her singular notion of happiness - that she can open herself up to the possibility of happiness all around her.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 01-06-2021 at 09:08 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    An entire scene over the word loser... who greenlight this script?
    Someone who is up to date with modern politics, WW is not a character or franchise that supports Trump. Never has been. Most super-hero movies aren't so on the nose with politics but I was glad '84 gave no f***s.

Also despite the long run time why did they cut Diana & Barbara's "relationship" they went from just meeting to being best buds in mere minutes "Oh Barbara no one made me laugh more" scene then doesn't show us what she said that made Diana laugh.. Barbara wanting to be like Diana was also stupid went from not knowing this person to then idolising her. Like Ted from HMIYM saying I love you on the first date.
    Agreed. They should have started out as being friends for years before the movie began.

Steve completely wasted, Pine and Gadot's chemistry completey disappeared between films.
    Disagree. Steve was a highlight, but this should be it. Leave him dead, his story is over.

Double opening scenes were so good I don't know what happened, action set piece aside what was the point of the first opening scene other than probably to fulfil contracts. Thematically pointless.
    The first intro was about setting up the moral values of the movie, don't cheat and tell the truth. I'm surprised so many people missed this when it was wrote in neon signs all though the story. The mall scene was a joy to watch, establishing Wonder Woman's current status quo and tone of the movie. I'd watch a movie just of Wonder Woman bering Donner's Superman, it was so fun.

The one time WB needed to interfere they don't.
    I'll take this over what they did with Batman vs Superman.

Astonishing Member

I haven't seen the movie yet, but the decision to place it in 1984 seems ill-conceived.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I haven't seen the movie yet, but the decision to place it in 1984 seems ill-conceived.
    Would have been better to place it in the 1970s with her an IADC agent and pine playing a great nephew of the original Steve Trevor.