Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Oh I know it's reaching the point where they assume people will buy a dozen streaming services to get what they used to get on Netflix.

But, once something has been out for a while, it will start showing up for rent on Amazon and so on. It all depends on whether you have to have it right now or can wait a year. I can wait a year.
    I think we're eventually going to be paying more for these services via the a la carte model than cable, which sucks big time.

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    My understanding is that WB ditched the free trial subscription a couple of weeks ago, presumably to prevent folks from using it to view WW without paying.
    Oh did they? I hadn't checked and was assuming it was still an option. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    I'm going to rewatch WW84 because I'm seeing on twitter that I missed some of the jokes that were thrown in there and Jenkins is even confirming some of the things like the "rape" scene meaning.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PattyJenk...86851453300736

I will say I do remember the movie Big and that scene where it's implied that he had sex did disturb me a bit because he was still a 12 year old even though he was in an adult body.
    I read the Twitter thread, and am glad to see most comments are condemning Patty Jenkins and her supporters over Diana's rape of the character Kristoffer Polaha played. The fact that Polaha's character doesn't even get a name and is simply referred to as "Handsome Man" in the credits is pretty telling.

I get that in the past, the ramifications of body swapping were glossed over or even joked about, but that doesn't give one the permission to do the exact same wrong thing and try to excuse it as a clever "commentary."

Even if you could get away with that, a Wonder Woman movie is not the proper vehicle to do so.

Also, the Rotten Tomatoes score of Wonder Woman 1984 keeps on dropping.

It's now at 61% Critics' score with an Audience score of 73%.

Compare that to the original's RT scores of 93% Critics and 84% Audience.

I'm glad we're getting a third movie, but, assuming theaters are back to normal in 3 years, it will be lucky to have an opening weekend of $50 million given how much negativity there is surrounding WW84.

The success of the first one allowed the studio to give Jenkins more latitude with the sequel, and all it did was prove Jenkins was not up to the task.

Well this is... interesting.

Apparently, a site has lost subscribers due to giving WW1984 a bad review.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mangiotto...01747822202880

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Also, the Rotten Tomatoes score of Wonder Woman 1984 keeps on dropping.

It's now at 61% Critics' score with an Audience score of 73%.

Compare that to the original's RT scores of 93% Critics and 84% Audience.

I'm glad we're getting a third movie, but, assuming theaters are back to normal in 3 years, it will be lucky to have an opening weekend of $50 million given how much negativity there is surrounding WW84.

The success of the first one allowed the studio to give Jenkins more latitude with the sequel, and all it did was prove Jenkins was not up to the task.
    Unfortunately, when it comes to reviews of any sort, after a certain point the people doing them either really like it or really hate it. Most people who feel so-so about about something tend to not submit reviews. I'm an example, I thought the film was okay, not great but not bad either never even crossed my mind to rate the film on any site.

In my experience, people who hate something are even more likely to review than those who love it. My point is, that rating systems like these tend to have a healthy deviation due to the population of people who are actually voting. If I'd guess the deviation could be plus or minus 5-10 points if not more. Which means WW84 could be lower in reality like in the 50s (critic) and 60s (audience) or it could be higher like in the upper 60s (critic) and upper 70s or very low 80s (audience). Based on the film and general comments on social media I'd put it in the ladder with the audience score being in the upper 70s imo.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I'm going to rewatch WW84 because I'm seeing on twitter that I missed some of the jokes that were thrown in there and Jenkins is even confirming some of the things like the "rape" scene meaning.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PattyJenk...86851453300736

I will say I do remember the movie Big and that scene where it's implied that he had sex did disturb me a bit because he was still a 12 year old even though he was in an adult body.
    I don't think I really buy that. The sex was eradicated from reality? Nothing in the movie suggests that, people's memories aren't wiped and time doesn't restart. But even if it did, that doesn't excuse the act.

This isn't a huge deal for me but the explanation doesn't make much sense.

I guess I can kind of get the message that body swapping is bad because everything coming from the stone is bad, but that guy's autonomy and consent is just never touched on. At best it's a distracting unnecessary controversy.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I don't think I really buy that. The sex was eradicated from reality? Nothing in the movie suggests that, people's memories aren't wiped and time doesn't restart. But even if it did, that doesn't excuse the act.

This isn't a huge deal for me but the explanation doesn't make much sense.

I guess I can kind of get the message that body swapping is bad because everything coming from the stone is bad, but that guy's autonomy and consent is just never touched on. At best it's a distracting unnecessary controversy.
    I think the point, at least from the tweet, was that it was a trope from the 80s that wasn't right then and is actually problematic in nature because of the issue that everyone is pointing out, ie one of the stone's negative aspects.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 12-31-2020 at 10:00 AM.

BANNED

Unfortunately, when it comes to reviews of any sort, after a certain point the people doing them either really like it or really hate it. Most people who feel so-so about about something tend to not submit reviews. I'm an example, I thought the film was okay, not great but not bad either never even crossed my mind to rate the film on any site.
    That's why it's always a good idea to pay attention to people whose actual job is to review movies (where the rating is at 70%).

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    That's why it's always a good idea to pay attention to people whose actual job is to review movies (where the rating is at 70%).
    Personally, I do think a score in the range of the 70s for this film is fair. IMO the film wasn't badly written or directed in the technical sense.The problem was is that the version of the character presented and the storyline did not align with what the general audience wanted to see. Being a WW comic fan, the story, action, and outcome actually fit with past comic iterations of her. BUT if the movie is trying to hit the general audience, it needs to cater to the general audience otherwise. That was a failure on PJ part, she is a big WW fan which played against her judgment in story direction and execution. This is an issue we've seen from Geoff Johns in the past too (ie Aquaman Black Manta scene)
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 12-31-2020 at 10:12 AM.

BANNED

Personally, I do think a score in the range of the 70s for this film is fair. IMO the film wasn't badly written or directed. The problem was is that the version of the character presented and the storyline did not align with what the general audience wanted to see. Being a WW comic fan, the story, action, and outcome actually fit with past comic iterations of her. BUT if the movie is trying to hit the general audience, it needs to cater to the general audience otherwise. That was a failure on PJ part, she is a big WW fan which played against her judgment in story direction and execution.
    I agree with the rating too, but I do think it was poorly directed. Max Lord seemed to be in a different movie throughout, like if Jack Nicholson Joker was in The Dark Knight. I think the director has to take more responsibility than the actor for that.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    I agree with the rating too, but I do think it was poorly directed. Max Lord seemed to be in a different movie throughout, like if Jack Nicholson Joker was in The Dark Knight. I think the director has to take more responsibility than the actor for that.
    I can't disagree with the Maxwell Lord feeling isolated at times. I think in general this is a hard balance to execute consistently for directors when it comes to villains. That's why I think most directors don't put too much into developing the villains because it creates issues like this. However the directors that can balance the villians story properly tend to have films that are seen as great.

I think if she would have put more into developing and focusing on WW and Barbara's relationship and building up to the jealousy and have Maxwell Lord simply be an assistant to Barbara's corruption (ie secondary villian instead of primary) then I think it works better for the mass audiences.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 12-31-2020 at 10:34 AM.

Well, Iron Man 2 and Thor 2 tells me WW3 could be really good or really bad.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Well this is... interesting.

Apparently, a site has lost subscribers due to giving WW1984 a bad review.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mangiotto...01747822202880
    I couldn’t get through the review; it was so weird.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I couldn’t get through the review; it was so weird.
    Was the review one that starts to talk about or nitpick about things unrelated to the movie?