Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Potanical Pardon View Post
    Movie was way better than I expected it to be. I really liked the writing and Pedro Pascal. Cheetah was fine enough for me. The only thing I didn't like was the movie was too long. The believability of how the world fell apart is ridiculous but that's fine, because I get what the film was going for. I also think Diana was a bit too holier-than-thou at times, which the character does have self-awareness of as it's her arc, but I wish way more characters than just the villains called her out on it. Whenever someone did bring it up, she just stoically stared back defiantly in denial.

IMO, I think Max was a good guy. He's a liar, yeah, but even when that one guy called him a con he strongly wanted to will that to not be true. So the effort is there from him to provide everything for his son that his own parents could not. That's completely understandable. As with all the other characters' motivations because "When is it my turn? Just once," resonates. And that was my favorite aspect of the movie because every main character: Max, Diana, Barbara all sacrificed and put efforts in their own ways - others before self, as opposed to the mass wish scene where that was just sheer greed.
    The thing is, we didn’t really see why max was the way he was until the end; he had an abusive childhood, no friends in school or college (and how did he get there?) he pulled himself up but could only get so far. He had a kid, but at times he acted like the kid was a burden. Without going into detail, max reminds me of some people I intersected with in my life that annoyed me, for different reasons. And I’m starting to reevaluate the character because of it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    The thing is, we didn’t really see why max was the way he was until the end; he had an abusive childhood, no friends in school or college (and how did he get there?) he pulled himself up but could only get so far. He had a kid, but at times he acted like the kid was a burden. Without going into detail, max reminds me of some people I intersected with in my life that annoyed me, for different reasons. And I’m starting to reevaluate the character because of it.
    Max is a very realistic villain that is evergreen. I liked how they really went into how he's Trump, only they did it as something without being too on the nose and unlike Trump they made him sympathetic. Barbara Minerva sole the show, Wiig needs to come back as the main villain next time. Loved her, she was the perfect Minerva/Cheetah. Got a kick out of the clothes she wore at the White House being Cheetah inspired.

I thought it was pretty terrible. What's worse, my non comic book fan wife thought it was really terrible. Studios are really messing up by putting out these mediocre super hero movies where nothing happens and the only point is to see references to some wider universe. Casual fans are bored by that. You no longer get an automatic view just by being a comic book movie. WW1984 is a bust in a similar way that Captain Marvel was.

Not to mention that this movie had no 80s music. I have no idea how it got through screenings without that coming up.

3/10, an embarrassment to the genre.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    I thought it was pretty terrible. What's worse, my non comic book fan wife thought it was really terrible. Studios are really messing up by putting out these mediocre super hero movies where nothing happens and the only point is to see references to some wider universe. Casual fans are bored by that. You no longer get an automatic view just by being a comic book movie. WW1984 is a bust in a similar way that Captain Marvel was.

Not to mention that this movie had no 80s music. I have no idea how it got through screenings without that coming up.

I want to hear these same arguments when the next Marvel film comes out.

I think some of the hate is ridiculous, imo opinion this film isn't the best but its nowhere near the worst, to me, its in the middle of all superhero films. Not at the top but not at the bottom. I get people may feel that it wasn't a masterpiece (it wasn't) but lets be realistic, many of us can think of plenty other films from DC and Marvel that were not as good as this but still were well received overall.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 12-26-2020 at 07:17 AM.

They did have some Frankie goes to Hollywood playing when WW & Minerva attend Lord's gala. But overall agree with you, and i'm tired of movies being set in the 80s without seeming to have a reason for doing so. Feels like Stranger Things is the only 80s throwback that has really made proper use of the era. And back to your point about the music i really was not feeling the soundtrack for this one, felt like they made much more sparing use of WW's drum-heavy/electric guitar theme from BvS and her first movie.

I think Captain Marvel was better than this tbh and i'm not a huge CM fan.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post

I think some of the hate is ridiculous, imo opinion this film isn't the best but its nowhere near the worst, to me, its in the middle of all superhero films. Not at the top but not at the bottom. I get people may feel that it wasn't a masterpiece (it wasn't) but lets be realistic, many of us can think of plenty other films from DC and Marvel that were not as good as this but still were well received overall.
    I would put it right in the middle of DCEU films. I do think the COVID delay hurt the movie, with no other new movies to see people went into this one expecting a lot. I predict BW will be a more entertaining movie, just feels like it will have better comedy and better action scenes... plus i just care more about Natasha than WW based on each character's previous movie appearances.

After thinking about it, this movie seems very forgettable and without much action and to many cheesy moments, the only scene I really liked was that scene where she regained her powers and started flying.

Fantastic Member

This was the most utterly disappointing movie I’ve seen lately. The plot was stupid. That’s really all I can say about this mess.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Studios are really messing up by putting out these mediocre super hero movies where nothing happens and the only point is to see references to some wider universe.
    Except none of that was done in the movie.

As it stands the movie was wonderfully average. Gadot makes a great Wonder Woman, just saddled with just an average script.

I was apprehensive about Steve coming back, but I figured he would have to be sacrificed by Dianna en route to saving the day and that's what happened. He was good enough while he was there and his child like amazement at everything was charming.

Pascal was a great Lord. (again, average script)

Wiig was a paint by numbers Cheetah, but she played it well enough.

A huge problem I have with the movie was that the action sucked. And maybe I am spoiled by the animated movies and JL toons where you see Dianna in these knock down drag out slug fests befitting one of the best warriors on the planet. Not these slow motion, wire work filled ballet looking scenes. It's just boring. And to have Ultimate Cheetah really go out like a chump and then Diana saves the day with her Wonder Words....meh....forgettable, average movie.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    I would put it right in the middle of DCEU films. I do think the COVID delay hurt the movie, with no other new movies to see people went into this one expecting a lot. I predict BW will be a more entertaining movie, just feels like it will have better comedy and better action scenes... plus i just care more about Natasha than WW based on each character's previous movie appearances.
    Having that preference is perfectly fine and understandable once you state that you have more invested with other characters and in turn has created a certain standard and expectation such as more comedy and action scenes. Marvel has done a great job creating more attachment to their characters, period. Personally, i prefer other film elements to comedy, but I don't dislike it by any means and have a feeling this film is going to be decisive like most DC films. I'm seeing people either hate it or love it so thinking its going to come down to what type of superhero films a person typically gravitates towards.

I think those who typically like DC films and/or are a bit older and remember the old tv series will like this film while those who may not like it have a preference for a more current style of superhero films. Nothing wrong with either preference.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post

As it stands the movie was wonderfully average. Gadot makes a great Wonder Woman, just saddled with just an average script.

I was apprehensive about Steve coming back, but I figured he would have to be sacrificed by Dianna en route to saving the day and that's what happened. He was good enough while he was there and his child like amazement at everything was charming.

Pascal was a great Lord. (again, average script)

Wiig was a paint by numbers Cheetah, but she played it well enough.

A huge problem I have with the movie was that the action sucked. And maybe I am spoiled by the animated movies and JL toons where you see Dianna in these knock down drag out slug fests befitting one of the best warriors on the planet. Not these slow motion, wire work filled ballet looking scenes. It's just boring. And to have Ultimate Cheetah really go out like a chump and then Diana saves the day with her Wonder Words....meh....forgettable, average movie.
    I agree and think this is a fair assessment. Any ranking between 6.5 - 8 is a fair statement based on preference on film and character.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    I'm curious to see as well. I feel like people stuck around with the Marvel movies despite so many of the latter half being mediocre because they were already invested and wanted to see it to the end. Well End Game was the end, and now we're on to a new chapter. Are people going to keep coming back when giving mediocre stuff like Civil War, Captain Marvel, and the Spidermans? I sort of doubt it. We'll see!

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    Of course it was! The only point of this movie was to be a bridge movie. We all know this movie didn't matter. There were no stakes. The 80s isn't the setting for Wonder Woman stories they are going to stick to. The present day will be where any wider plot unfolds.

So what did this movie give us? Well apparently Diana is still not over her boyfriend from 40 years ago that she knew for about a week. And hey, here's a couple of easter eggs like a Stagg Industries sign.

This movie had 4 characters that mattered. 2 of them were new and not interesting. The Diana / Trevor relationship is only compelling if you know the backstory.

So this story is totally about references to the rest of the universe. There's nothing else there. 4 characters.

If you want to do a bridge movie and admit that there aren't any real stakes, fine! Give us a fun romp with characters you like. Or give us an unabashed genre flick like Thor: Ragnarok. This gave us none of those things.

While I'm ranting, superhero movies need to stop it with these 2.5 hour run times. You're not Lawrence of Arabia. You're a popcorn flick; own it and be good at that. You are really going to lose the general audience if you are going to ask them to sit for 2.5 hours while phoning it in.

They did have some Frankie goes to Hollywood playing when WW & Minerva attend Lord's gala. But overall agree with you, and i'm tired of movies being set in the 80s without seeming to have a reason for doing so. Feels like Stranger Things is the only 80s throwback that has really made proper use of the era. And back to your point about the music i really was not feeling the soundtrack for this one, felt like they made much more sparing use of WW's drum-heavy/electric guitar theme from BvS and her first movie.
    I just don't get the lack of 80s music. Maybe Patty Jenkins wanted to avoid making "the 80s" too much a focal point, but if that's the case why the widescreen shots of an 80s shopping mall? Why the montage of Trevor trying on 80s outfits with fanny packs.

Given how little there was to the movie they should have completely leaned into the 80s thing. It would have been at least fun that way.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    The suggestion that Max doesn't "know" whats going on is false just based on us being able to "hear" the wishes around the world. He knew even if it was not his intent that the world was gearing up for nuclear war. He knew missiles were literally in the air. He knew people were wishing each other death etc. To say oh he just didn't know he was making the world a terrible place for his son is to ignore the plot hole. He didn't care what happens we get that. But, why are we supposed to believe at the end he became unselfish then after a stern lecture from Diana?

Oh yeah you are right Princess I guess I should care about the boy I have been neglecting and annoyed at the whole movie now that nukes I heard Russians praying about are in the air. If he cared he shouldn't have let it get that far. Honestly to avoid all this take the kid out totally and just have Max be more calculated and be beaten by Diana another way. His reasoning didn't work anyway. Hes a mass murderer even though I guess we are shown the wishes were like a rewind. He doesn't even go to jail or anything?
    Ok, THIS is a plothole I can agree with. All these nukes in the air, and no one is wishing for the nukes to go away? Can one wish not undo someone else's wish?

I agree with nothing you said except the lack of 80's music. How do you NOT have a killer soundtrack with this movie?

I think Captain Marvel was better than this tbh and i'm not a huge CM fan.
    The soundtrack was very lackluster, except in places where Zimmer called back to Batman v Superman. I actually thought he said he was retiring from making superhero scores after Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, or maybe after BvS. He should have stuck to that.