View Poll Results: Gliding (+ The Invisible Jet) or Flying?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gliding (+ The Invisible Jet)

13 27.08%
  • Flying

37 77.08%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    It's always so popular because some quarters don't want to see her fly. No matter the stated reasons, it's really only to hold her back, keep her in her place and to perpetuate sexist bullshit.
    People think giving Wonder Woman the ability to fly would make her a female Superman.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zahina View Post
    People think giving Wonder Woman the ability to fly would make her a female Superman.
    Wonder Woman got literally created as an answer to Superman, so she should be a female Superman in a way, she just should not become Supergirl or Faora.

Quote Originally Posted by Zahina View Post
    Yeah that's the sexist stuff I was talking about. Flying is fine for Power Girl, Supergirl, etc. but not for the premier superheroine in the genre.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I don't see why we can't have both flying and using the Invisible Jet. It doesn't have to be either/or.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

What I don't understand is both Wonder Girls were capable of flight as soon as adopting the name, but for Wonder Woman it's somehow a problem?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

She is flightless for the first few years and utilizes the plane during that period. Then she gains the power of flight later on and keep the plane in reserve.

I still don't get why this has to be such a problem or too difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    You seem to confuse Hippolyta with Diana, the Amazons would need to be several magnitudes more powerful than they are for that to make any sense otherwise. And you can go ask the Superman fans what they think about him losing flight, and jumping around again, it will be most likely the same answer.

The fact that you mention flying at Mach 2 as if that would be remotely impressive, kind of shows how long and often Wonder Woman has been vastly underpowered and disrespected already, and that people should be probably way more gung-ho about it.

I know you have said you were exaggerating, but it still fits to be honest.
    I understand that in most versions of the story she was blessed by the gods, but I wouldn't even do that since I don't like the greek gods being involved with the amazons, but at any case, the powers they gave her and that we see her use are normally just the normal attributes of an amazon but leveled up. Super strengh, speed, resistance, etc. In fact, I believe flight was always a power she was given later on by Hermes, but I might be wrong on that.flying

Why would flying be essential to her? She doesn't even have many enemies that fly. Only Silver Swan and maybe one or two others. Even someone like Giganta is a character she could fight without flying.

I like both. The plane is good for carrying passengers and cargo, and can go into space, so it serves a purpose beyond her normal flight.

Arrow

I prefer a Wonder Woman who can fly unaided. I still like the Invisible Jet for when Diana needs to ferry others someplace or get somewhere super fast.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I understand that in most versions of the story she was blessed by the gods, but I wouldn't even do that since I don't like the greek gods being involved with the amazons, but at any case, the powers they gave her and that we see her use are normally just the normal attributes of an amazon but leveled up. Super strengh, speed, resistance, etc. In fact, I believe flight was always a power she was given later on by Hermes, but I might be wrong on that.flying

Why would flying be essential to her? She doesn't even have many enemies that fly. Only Silver Swan and maybe one or two others. Even someone like Giganta is a character she could fight without flying.
    Well if you want to go back to basics. Then let's go all the way. Take away her flight. And get back her amazing feats of power from her original run in the 40s. Moving the moon, tossing planets around. Moving the sun, faster than light, extremely durable etc. With her powers coming from training. And all amazons having the potential to be just as powerful as WW and even more, depending on how much they train their bodies and minds. Otherwise, i see no point in taking powers away from her. Most super heroes have only gone up in power levels throughout the years. WW is the only one that certain writers seem to want to depower. And that is a big fat no for me. She was created to be a powerhouse since day one, and it should stay that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I can run fast but I also have a car.
    I agree with you.

I can fly, but there are times I wish I had that Invisible Jet.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post

Why would flying be essential to her? She doesn't even have many enemies that fly.
    Nor does Superman, Shazam, Green Lantern and a whole host of other flying heroes.

Amazing Member

I prefer this - at first, she does not have the ability to fly (as well as half of her strength), but she gradually becomes more powerful, and gets this ability.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    Well if you want to go back to basics. Then let's go all the way. Take away her flight. And get back her amazing feats of power from her original run in the 40s. Moving the moon, tossing planets around. Moving the sun, faster than light, extremely durable etc. With her powers coming from training. And all amazons having the potential to be just as powerful as WW and even more, depending on how much they train their bodies and minds. Otherwise, i see no point in taking powers away from her. Most super heroes have only gone up in power levels throughout the years. WW is the only one that certain writers seem to want to depower. And that is a big fat no for me. She was created to be a powerhouse since day one, and it should stay that way.
    So the only reason why you want her to fly is because you want her to be strong? She doesn't become weaker just because she doesn't fly. Hulk is one if the strongest marvel heroes and he doesn't fly. Doomsday defeated the wholeJustice League and killed Superman, and he doesn't fly either.

And again, it feels like just a random power. In most stories it doesn't even make a difference if she just jumps from place to place and uses her lasso to change direction, or if she flies.

Extraordinary Member

Invisible Jet.

Flight adds nothing to the series that the Invisible Jet doesn't already provide, and is less iconic to the Jet.

And having her be flightless has more options for a plot. With the Jet as her sole means of travel, trapping her in a single location is as simple as damaging the Jet, whereas if she had flight then to do the same used have to invent some magical means of taking the flight away.

Additionally, the combat scenes are more interesting if she's ground bound, there is more stuff to use in the set piece. When she's fighting in the middle of the air, there's much less stuff around to use in the choreography.

Additionally, being Flightless makes her more distinct in team books as well. Look at the Justice League, the iconic line up of that book contains three other people who can fly, and share her main combat based Superpowers. To differentiate herself she needs to showcase her skill advantage, and that's easier on the ground. You can't really showcase footwork when you're feet aren't on the ground, and grappling in the air is not very effective.