View Poll Results: Gliding (+ The Invisible Jet) or Flying?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gliding (+ The Invisible Jet)

13 27.08%
  • Flying

37 77.08%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Why can’t she fly and have the invisible jet
    This. It's why I voted both. She can have both of them.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I understand that in most versions of the story she was blessed by the gods, but I wouldn't even do that since I don't like the greek gods being involved with the amazons, but at any case, the powers they gave her and that we see her use are normally just the normal attributes of an amazon but leveled up. Super strengh, speed, resistance, etc. In fact, I believe flight was always a power she was given later on by Hermes, but I might be wrong on that.flying

Why would flying be essential to her? She doesn't even have many enemies that fly. Only Silver Swan and maybe one or two others. Even someone like Giganta is a character she could fight without flying.
    Please show me the writer who pulls it off to portray an island connected to earth full of beings with the potential to be one of the most powerful superheroes in DC, and then we could maybe talk about this, and it gets even harder if we truly go back to the Bugs Bunny days of Wonder Woman literally tornadoing into space by moving in circles, entering other universes on accident by traveling too fast with her invisible jet, and lassoing planets to swing them around like they are weightless.

Ask Superman fans again, it will be most likely still the same answer, and she has multiple enemies with the potential ability to fly like Circe and Ares.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I can run fast but I also have a car.
    I see a lot of variations of arguments like this, and I gotta scratch my head. The whole point of a vehicle is that it does things that we can't do unassisted. Bikes are faster. Cars are a helluva lot faster, they can travel longer distances, they can carry additional people and stuff, and keep us and our stuff safe from the elements. Who would put down $20K (or a lot more) on a car if it didn't add this kind of utility?

I say both, but with a point of emphasis that the jet adds value above flying on her own. Otherwise, it's like giving Batman a Batmobile that tops off at 13 mph cruising speed (22 mph for a 20-second burst), can only drive for a few hours tops, has no cargo room, and is always open to the air.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 12-26-2020 at 05:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    Please show me the writer who pulls it off to portray an island connected to earth full of beings with the potential to be one of the most powerful superheroes in DC, and then we could maybe talk about this, and it gets even harder if we truly go back to the Bugs Bunny days of Wonder Woman literally tornadoing into space by moving in circles, entering other universes on accident by traveling too fast with her invisible jet, and lassoing planets to swing them around like they are weightless.

Ask Superman fans again, it will be most likely still the same answer, and she has multiple enemies with the potential ability to fly like Circe and Ares.
    I don't understand your first sentence. What were you trying to say?

And I repeat, is Hulk a weak character just because he can't fly?

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Invisible Jet.

Flight adds nothing to the series that the Invisible Jet doesn't already provide, and is less iconic to the Jet.
    Most modern interpretations of Wonder Woman can fly under her own power. The jet is iconic in the same way Aquaman only talking to fish or Superman spinning the Earth on its axis is iconic.

And having her be flightless has more options for a plot. With the Jet as her sole means of travel, trapping her in a single location is as simple as damaging the Jet, whereas if she had flight then to do the same used have to invent some magical means of taking the flight away.
    So what? Using some means to rob a hero of one or all of their powers is a standard device in superhero stories and the result is the same. More options for plot also doesn't mean better stories. Sealing her off in another dimension she has to escape from in some way is also a better use of that kind of story.

Additionally, the combat scenes are more interesting if she's ground bound
    Highly subjective and her fight with Superman in Sacrifice is considered one of her best moments.

Additionally, being Flightless makes her more distinct in team books as well. Look at the Justice League, the iconic line up of that book contains three other people who can fly, and share her main combat based Superpowers. To differentiate herself she needs to showcase her skill advantage, and that's easier on the ground. You can't really showcase footwork when you're feet aren't on the ground, and grappling in the air is not very effective.
    So her lasso, shield and sword mean nothing then? Removing her flight just means she's another grounded strong man like Aquaman, a grounded speedster like the Flash and a grounded close quarters fighter like Batman.

A better analogue would be suggesting to remove the Hulk's ability to regenerate, cause shock waves by clapping or any of the abilities he's had for decades. It isn't that lack of flight makes a character weaker, it's about Diana not losing a power she has had for decades as if nothing that has changed about the character since 1986. Removing flight is not going to improve the many, many problems with how DC writes her.

Mighty Member

I don't understand your first sentence. What were you trying to say?

It is nigh impossible to do what you mentioned, because a whole Island of potential Wonder Women on DC's earth would be around as problematic as a whole army of Speed Force Speedsters, or a whole Lantern Corps on earth.

Hulk has barely any similarities with Wonder Woman, and follows an extremely different theme, so how should he even be a good example for Wonder Woman's power set?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    So her lasso, shield and sword mean nothing then? Removing her flight just means she's another grounded strong man like Aquaman, a grounded speedster like the Flash and a grounded close quarters fighter like Batman.
    Well the sword and shield are terrible, but I specified her skill because one of the other flying bricks also very prominently uses gear (That being Green Lantern). The lasso would of course be very prominent in her fight scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Well the sword and shield are terrible, but I specified her skill because one of the other flying bricks also very prominently uses gear (That being Green Lantern). The lasso would of course be very prominent in her fight scenes.
    Exactly. Diana's unique way of fighting should, if anything, be through the use of her lasso. There are so many things she should be able to do with it. Flight is completely unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    It is nigh impossible to do what you mentioned, because a whole Island of potential Wonder Women on DC's earth would be around as problematic as a whole army of Speed Force Speedsters, or a whole Lantern Corps on earth.

Hulk has barely any similarities with Wonder Woman, and follows an extremely different theme, so how should he even be a good example for Wonder Woman's power set?
    I am not proposing that Wonder Woman and the Amazons should have comparable power levels. Just power sets. Deadpool and Hulk have the same power set, but they are on entirely different power levels. I'd say you would need at least 5 amazons to defeat Wonder Woman in her prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    A better analogue would be suggesting to remove the Hulk's ability to regenerate, cause shock waves by clapping or any of the abilities he's had for decades. It isn't that lack of flight makes a character weaker, it's about Diana not losing a power she has had for decades as if nothing that has changed about the character since 1986. Removing flight is not going to improve the many, many problems with how DC writes her.
    Flight isn't an iconic power of hers. Most people, even comic fans, don't know if she can fly ir not because every adaptation is different, and even the comics themselves don't make it clear most of the time. What I'm saying is that her flying is not only unnecessary since she has so many other way to move around, it is also unjustified. She grew up training with the amazons. None of them can fly. It's really weird for her to have such a specific power and be raised and be associated with this other "race" of beings that are powerful unto themselves, and yet can't fly. It sticks out like a sore thumb, and not in thr good way.

The only reason why YOU want her to fly is because you think she is undervalued and somehow flying would help her sustain credibility, which is entirely untrue. Nobody likes or respects Wonder Woman just because she can fly. But you clearly are hung up on this for some reason and no matter what I say you will always think it is a necessary feature of her.
    Last edited by Alpha; 12-26-2020 at 11:05 AM.

Jeezus again with this crap. This is why we can't have anything fun anymore. Some people are so content with living in the past that any sort of change, for the better mind you, is ignored and people moan about not having something that was more or less a public laughing stock.

Edit: the fan base gets divided over stuff like this things, not really in this case judging by the poll some people voted for both.

She can fly, at faster than light speeds. End of story. Deal.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Flight isn't an iconic power of hers. Most people, even comic fans, don't know if she can fly ir not because every adaptation is different, and even the comics themselves don't make it clear most of the time. What I'm saying is that her flying is not only unnecessary since she has so many other way to move around, it is also unjustified. She grew up training with the amazons. None of them can fly. It's really weird for her to have such a specific power and be raised and be associated with this other "race" of beings that are powerful unto themselves, and yet can't fly. It sticks out like a sore thumb, and not in thr good way.

The only reason why YOU want her to fly is because you think she is undervalued and somehow flying would help her sustain credibility, which is entirely untrue. Nobody likes or respects Wonder Woman just because she can fly. But you clearly are hung up on this for some reason and no matter what I say you will always think it is a necessary feature of her.
    Yeah, its almost like she's special or something. /SARCASM
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Jeezus again with this crap. This is why we can't have anything fun anymore. Some people are so content with living in the past that any sort of change, for the better mind you, is ignored and people moan about not having something that was more or less a public laughing stock.

She can fly, at faster than light speeds. End of story. Deal.
    Lol, but why. It's such a random power for her. When a human looks at wonder woman they think she is the most powerful amazon there is. But amazons can't fly. And they are supposed to be just stupidly advanced humans, so she herseld should just be a human being with every ability turned up to 1100

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    yeah, its almost like she's special or something. /sarcasm
    SHE DOESN'T NEED TO FLY TO BE SPECIAL. Stop saying the same thing