View Poll Results: Gliding (+ The Invisible Jet) or Flying?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gliding (+ The Invisible Jet)

13 27.08%
  • Flying

37 77.08%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Access View Post
    Doesn't sound redundant to you have the power of flight and a flying vehicle?It's like giving a car to the flash
    I'm still waiting for a writer to give Aquaman a submarine or a speedboat. Nah you know what, give him a surfboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Exactly. Diana's unique way of fighting should, if anything, be through the use of her lasso. There are so many things she should be able to do with it. Flight is completely unnecessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Well the sword and shield are terrible, but I specified her skill because one of the other flying bricks also very prominently uses gear (That being Green Lantern). The lasso would of course be very prominent in her fight scenes.
    But you can still have her fight with the Lasso while flying......... I.... I don't understand what logic your trying to use here.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Lol, but why. It's such a random power for her. When a human looks at wonder woman they think she is the most powerful amazon there is. But amazons can't fly. And they are supposed to be just stupidly advanced humans, so she herseld should just be a human being with every ability turned up to 1100
    SHE DOESN'T NEED TO FLY TO BE SPECIAL. Stop saying the same thing
    How is it a random power, the vast majority of powers and equipment themselves are random, its a comic book character. You might as well ask why any character can fly. Diana is also not a "regular" amazon now is she? She was sculpted from clay and was brought to life by divine blessings. The Gods can fly and so the Gods gave Diana the ability to fly, not hard to explain.

I vote for flying and piloting the invisible jet.

My preference for the jet is it’s created by Amazon engineering and tech, like the original, versus something Diana acquires in Man’s World or from another source (human or alien tech, etc.)

Mighty Member

I am not proposing that Wonder Woman and the Amazons should have comparable power levels. Just power sets. Deadpool and Hulk have the same power set, but they are on entirely different power levels. I'd say you would need at least 5 amazons to defeat Wonder Woman in her prime.
    What does anyone gain from restricting Wonder Woman's power set to be the same like other Amazons, nerfing her again and and again in terms of power level also didn't lead to better stories, on the contrary even? Since when could 5 Deadpools defeat Hulk, and how can you seriously believe an island full of beings who are still so crazy powerful, that just 5 of them could defeat 1 of the most powerful superheroes in DC in her prime would work very well? With your idea should Themyscira have no trouble to wreck the Justice League, or beat the **** out of Darkseid.

Here is my thing with the Invisible Jet, I don't mind the amazons being so advanced that they create such a stealth aircraft (maybe they used it to gather intel on the outside world in secret), but I don't think it should be Diana's jet.... It should be given to Steve, y'know the pilot. Having watched WW84, I like Steve love for flying, its an empowering character trait having confidence behind the wheel of an advanced aircraft.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

So the only reason why you want her to fly is because you want her to be strong? She doesn't become weaker just because she doesn't fly. Hulk is one if the strongest marvel heroes and he doesn't fly. Doomsday defeated the wholeJustice League and killed Superman, and he doesn't fly either.

And again, it feels like just a random power. In most stories it doesn't even make a difference if she just jumps from place to place and uses her lasso to change direction, or if she flies.
    I do want her to be super strong. Because that is what she has been meant to be right from the start. I also don't want her to lose any of her powers. Superman couldn't fly at first but some how it makes sense to you that he flies. Well i see no reason why WW shouldn't fly. She is not an ordinary amazon and never has been. First WW was ultra powerful and could grow in power the more that she trains. So she could very much gain the ability to fly via training. And the modern WW has been powered up by Gods that gave her many powers including flight. And that origin has been around for more than 4 decades now. So basically, flight has become a consistent ability in her standard power set. It is not some random boost that appeared yesterday. It has been around and present in the character's mythos for a very long time already.

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    What does anyone gain from restricting Wonder Woman's power set to be the same like other Amazons, nerfing her again and and again in terms of power level also didn't lead to better stories, on the contrary even? Since when could 5 Deadpools defeat Hulk, and how can you seriously believe an island full of beings who are still so crazy powerful, that just 5 of them could defeat 1 of the most powerful superheroes in DC in her prime would work very well? With your idea should Themyscira have no trouble to wreck the Justice League, or beat the **** out of Darkseid.
    I don't see how flying is requirement for making Wonder Woman more powerful. But we're gonna go around in circles on this. You just want her to fly, no real reason, it's just something you want. If your preocupationw as that she wasn't powerful enough then you would just define how strong you want her to be, but no, you insist on this one power that has never been a staple for Wonder Woman, has come and gone with every other story, and is unecessary on her. If Doomsday could kill Superman without flying then we don't need Wonder Woman to fly in order for her to be considered as strong as Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    I do want her to be super strong. Because that is what she has been meant to be right from the start. I also don't want her to lose any of her powers. Superman couldn't fly at first but some how it makes sense to you that he flies. Well i see no reason why WW shouldn't fly. She is not an ordinary amazon and never has been. First WW was ultra powerful and could grow in power the more that she trains. So she could very much gain the ability to fly via training. And the modern WW has been powered up by Gods that gave her many powers including flight. And that origin has been around for more than 4 decades now. So basically, flight has become a consistent ability in her standard power set. It is not some random boost that appeared yesterday. It has been around and present in the character's mythos for a very long time already.
    The thing is that it's not a consistent power set. That's why we're even having the discussion. through Batman v Superman, Wonder Woman 2017 and Justice League we saw her do all sorts of things without flying. In animated movies and shows we sometimes see her fly, sometimes we don't. In comic book stories despite her having the ability to fly, we barely see her use it. And it's not like her stories would become less interesting if she couldn't fly, or as if she wouldn't be able to fight her normal villains. It's not an essential ability to her, she can be strong enough to kill Superman even without flying, you are just asking for it for no reason. And it's ok for you to want it, but don't act like there's some objective reason why she needs it.
    Last edited by Alpha; 12-26-2020 at 02:54 PM.

The thing is that it's not a consistent power set. That's why we're even having the discussion. through Batman v Superman, Wonder Woman 2017 and Justice League we saw her do all sorts of things without flying. In animated movies and shows we sometimes see her fly, sometimes we don't. In comic book stories despite her having the ability to fly, we barely see her use it. And it's not like her stories would become less interesting if she couldn't fly, or as if she wouldn't be able to fight her normal villains. It's not an essential ability to her, she can be strong enough to kill Superman even without flying, you are just asking for it for no reason. And it's ok for you to want it, but don't act like there's some objective reason why she needs it.
    It is a consistent power set. She has had it for 4 decades and counting.

I can say something similar. Don't act like there is an objective reason why she shouldn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    It is a consistent power set. She has had it for 4 decades and counting.

I can say something similar. Don't act like there is an objective reason why she shouldn't have it.
    I don't need my argument against flying to be objective, because I'm not saying that she absolutely shouldn't fly. All that I'm saying is that I would rather she didn't, because I think it's a random power for her to have and she does everything just as well without it, but It's not the end of the world if she does fly.

You are the one that thinks it's a disservice to the character for her not to fly. So I agree that both my argument and yours are subjective. Which means it doesn't matter if she flies or not.

(and please stop saying she has had that power for 4 decades and acknowledge that there are countless stories in the last 40 years where we don't see her fly, including comic books, tv shows, films and videogames)
    Last edited by Alpha; 12-26-2020 at 04:00 PM.

I don't need my argument against flying to be objective, because I'm not saying that she absolutely shouldn't fly. All that I'm saying is that I would rather she didn't, because I think it's a random power for her to have and she does everything just as well without it, but It's not the end of the world if she does fly.

You are the one that thinks it's a disservice to the character for her not to fly. So I agree that both my argument and yours are subjective. Which means it doesn't matter if she flies or not.

(and please stop saying she has had that power for 4 decades and acknowledge that there are countless stories in the last 40 years where we don't see her fly, including comic books, tv shows, films and videogames)
    False. She has been consistently flying in comics for 4 decades. She flies in that team up episode with superman i 1988. In the jl cartoon. In crisis on 2 earths movie, all the jl movies. Bloodlines. Injustice games, etc.

Diana should not only have the Invisible Jet but the Mental Radio. She doesn't need to use it often if she flies but it's handy in situations like transporting cargo and passengers. I have no problem with flight but I like as many Marston era concepts preserved or restored.

I'm still waiting for a writer to give Aquaman a submarine or a speedboat. Nah you know what, give him a surfboard.
    Dude used to have a giant seahorse...

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I prefer a Wonder Woman who can fly unaided. I still like the Invisible Jet for when Diana needs to ferry others someplace or get somewhere super fast.
    I thought she could fly at speeds beyond human capabilities.