Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

There's not going to be a wonder woman reboot any time soon that's just silly No movie is making back it's production cost right now at least not in the traditional way the pandemic has changed the way movies make profet as for Linda Carter what's the problem with her? Did you not like the show or something?

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    I don't think that she gained anywhere except in flight and lasso handling. Speed isn't that different. The weakness thing... man that's hard to quantify exactly what that did to her, but, taking one of the mentioned feats, she wasn't any faster running than MCU Cap or Panther, both of whom have better highway running feats than Diana here. That was a desert road with a convoy of military vehicles. They weren't going over 50 mph. Obviously she's stronger than they are - she pushed that truck sideways at least at 30-40 mph - even though that was stupid as all hell...

... yeah, the fight choreography was atrocious. The slow-mo lasso things were awesome, but many were stupid and done just to show off the graphic effect. The weakness thing was all over the place. While carrying the two little kids (who would have each broken multiple bones the way she snatched them up at full swing), she somehow couldn't hold onto the lasso? But when she fell, again likely moving over 50 mph, she and the kids roll together and she and the kids (who should again have dozens of broken bones and massive road rash to boot) are totally unharmed. She was struggling to push the cars apart on the highway, but that's ridiculous - a strong regular person could do that - cars, especially high trucks like that, don't have a particularly strong approach force at those speeds - they were using their velocity to mostly go the same direction.

She has some low-end bullet timer stuff, but also PIS's so very often, and never has high-end bullet-timer stuff that she could be argued for from the previous films.

Basically, this film shows her using the rope a lot better and learning to fly, until she of course forgets that she can do that for the entire fight with Cheetah. Oh, and of course she can turn stuff invisible, like her DUN DUN DUNNNNNN jet. Fan service much? Damnit Johns. Who lets you write this nonsense? Linda Carter as the ancient heroine in the mid-credit scene? Really? Whyyy? Oh well, folks, expect a WW reboot any day now - this film is not making back it's production cost.

OK, I'll stop now.
    You dont think timing her lasso to wrap around bolts of lightning is a serious speed/reaction feat? Or what about her lassoing a single bullet out of the air during the car chase scene? That took ridiculous levels of bullet timing and precision and she was already weakening.

Also, she can run nearly as fast as Cap and Bucky while shoving a truck sideways in front of her. Again, while weakened.

Literally seconds before the highway chase scene, Steve asks if shes feeling ok as she rubs her temple and grimaces.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    You dont think timing her lasso to wrap around bolts of lightning is a serious speed/reaction feat? Or what about her lassoing a single bullet out of the air during the car chase scene? That took ridiculous levels of bullet timing and precision and she was already weakening.

Also, she can run nearly as fast as Cap and Bucky while shoving a truck sideways in front of her. Again, while weakened.

Literally seconds before the highway chase scene, Steve asks if shes feeling ok as she rubs her temple and grimaces.
    I agree with you. The lightening and flicking the bullet with her lasso makes her around a mid to high end bullet timer. Also, running at 50mph while pushing a truck and weakened is an outstanding feat.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post

I'm not saying that the feats aren't good.

I'm just saying that they don't move the needle on her, at least not for me.

She was already damn strong. Pushing a truck weighing 6 tons or whatever doesn't change that; we all already agree that this isn't really very strong for her.

She was already capable of running at least 50+ mph, likely a fair bit faster, so the highway thing didn't change that.

She was already a solid bullet-timer. The lasso whip bullet something something thing doesn't really change that.

She uses the whip to GRAB. A. CLOUD. and swing from it in this very film. The lightning thing doesn't really move the needle on that. Also, the speed the lasso moves is nowhere nearly fast enough to cover the distances it does in multiple scenes here, based on everything else the lasso does, whether or not she can see and perceive and react to things. Plus, if she generally can bracelet bullets from close range, either the lightning isn't all that fast so it's not a feat, or the lightning is massively fast in which case this is an outlier. Especially given how she forgets her speed 99% of the time in this very movie. PIS and sloppy, disjointed writing are a thing. This movie has a lot of both.

As an aside, do you know where in the movie the lightning lasso scene is? I just scrobbed the thing trying to find it but couldn't, and I'd like to analyze it better. I think I caught all of the fight scenes but may have missed on of the zero-stakes jump-cut specials. The movie drags FAR too much to watch the thing again this soon.

Her weakness thing is literally all over the place in the film. She's strong, tough and powerful, but... some undefinable level less strong, tough and powerful than normal?
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

She was already capable of running at least 50+ mph, likely a fair bit faster, so the highway thing didn't change that.
    I think the impressive part is she's running at 50+mph while pushing a truck in front of her while weakened. I know you don't like the DC movies, or DC in general, but you have to admit it's a nice feat; you don't have downplay it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slade1 View Post
    I think the impressive part is she's running at 50+mph while pushing a truck in front of her while weakened. I know you don't like the DC movies, or DC in general, but you have to admit it's a nice feat; you don't have downplay it.
    I'm sorry if I gave the impression of downplaying it. I'm really not! I just don't think it does anything more than support her general existing feat level. It's not, to me, better than what she already had. That's all I'm saying. The weakened part is unfortunately impossible to quantify because it's really all over the place.
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Didn't the Cap/Black Panther road run take place in a crowded tunnel rather than an open road? ISTR a normal civilian falling off their motorcycle or something and being relatively unharmed, or something along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Didn't the Cap/Black Panther road run take place in a crowded tunnel rather than an open road? ISTR a normal civilian falling off their motorcycle or something and being relatively unharmed, or something along those lines.
    It was all over the place, plus it was visibly faster moving than the convoy scene from WW84 is all I was saying. Cap has others from the Ultron fight as well. Plus of course there is the famous "on your left" scene, and BP and Cap accelerating away from the rest of the charging army as if they were standing still in Infinity War.

Again, I'm not claiming that Cap is as fast as Diana, I'm not saying that this movie invalidates Diana's other feats, I'm not hinting that Diana isn't a badass. I'm just saying that the feats in WW84 aren't more impressive than feats she already had, with the exceptions of flying and turning **** invisible.

BANNED

Her HTH and damage soak VS DD was much more impressive, although she gets much more solid speed and reaction feats now thanks to the lightning lasso and bullet wrangle. Only new abilities are the tiara throw, invisible jet and windriding. Much better rope proficiency but we can't take much by way of strength feats since she was already being nerfed early on by the stone.

We also now have two Dianas: the "Heroine" mode where she is doing her work, and "Amazon" mode where she is fighting to kill i.e. against DD.

So she is basically now stuck between Kenshiro, and Karas.

The lasso lightning thing isn't actually in the film, is it? Nobody has yet been able to point to it in the movie cut. I scrobbed the film a second time after not seeing it the first watch-through and couldn't find it. For me, that pretty much invalidates it.

Granted, she does lasso a cloud in the film.

Astonishing Member

The lasso lightning thing isn't actually in the film, is it? Nobody has yet been able to point to it in the movie cut. I scrobbed the film a second time after not seeing it the first watch-through and couldn't find it. For me, that pretty much invalidates it.

She does that at some point, it's when spoilers:
    she learns to fly it's a very fast.
    end of spoilers

Mighty Member

I have seen the movie now, and am disapointed, but whatever.

She got no new strength or durability feats for obvious reasons, but a speed buff at the lower end with high end bullet timing from lassoing a bullet while weakened and at the higher end with lassoing lightning at full power. And she can fly, and make things invisible now, the latter is just weird and i don't know what to think about it.
    Last edited by Rightoya; 01-02-2021 at 04:34 PM.

No, it's in the film.

It's in the film. When she is learning to fly. Before she grab her golden armor.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Yup, thanks for the timestamp.

Basically, it's garbage as a feat like we count them here.

In the feat, we see a bit of lightning around her behaving like lightning. She's clearly flying on her own power, through visibly moving clouds and such, there are flashes. She grabs the lasso. She hangs it out there gently, spinning the end a bit, but CLEARLY not bullet-timing even - gravity is having a notable effect on the cord, even though she's flying at SOME speed. She throws the lasso while the strike isn't there yet. There is a strike lightning strike that stays put, disappears, then it reappears in the same path, and the lasso grabs it. She swings (huh?) on it, then does it again. And again, she throws the visibly affected by gravity and wind and such lasso before the lightning strikes, the lightning strikes, and the lasso grabs it. She swings. Then she makes the Superman pose (because of course she does) and continues flying on her own.

So:

She could already fly on her own, she was already doing it very clearly.

For some reason, she decides to swing off of two lightning strikes.

Goes right back to flying after.

And for both swings, she was swinging the cord before the lightning struck. Given her connection to lightning, I'd posit that she knew it was going to be there because Zeus Juice in her veins or something. Also, the first strike was there for a LONG time, and she was very clearly not bullet timing or anything in the scene. You can literally see the clouds moving around her in real time.

The visual effect is cool, it would have maybe made sense if she did it before she proved she could fly under her own power, but then, the writing isn't exactly Citizen Cain or anything. For me, though, it doesn't do anything for her speed, which is already established as "bullet timer" when she doesn't completely forget to use it. That feat definitely isn't bullet timing.