Thread: JSA trades

Incredible Member

Default JSA trades

With the release in January of some JSA material, if sales are good, will DC finally publish a collection of the short lived series featuring Parobeck artwork?it’s been solicited and cancelled multiple times.

I really want this volume!!

You might be pleasantly surprised to see a hardcover of Len Strazewski's Justice Society miniseries available for preorder and due out in January:
    https://smile.amazon.com/Justice-Soc...9028076&sr=8-1

This seems to be the 8-issue miniseries with art by Parobeck, Rick Burchett, and other rotating artists. Maybe if it sells well, they will release a collection of the Strazewski/Parobeck 10-issue series that followed.
    Author of the law review article "The Lawyer as Superhero: How Marvel Comics' Daredevil Depicts the American Court System and Legal Practice," Capital University Law Review, Vol. 47, No. 2 (2019).
    Download it for free at https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....act_id=3389544

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Voodoo Lou View Post
    You might be pleasantly surprised to see a hardcover of Len Strazewski's Justice Society miniseries available for preorder and due out in January:

This seems to be the 8-issue miniseries with art by Parobeck, Rick Burchett, and other rotating artists. Maybe if it sells well, they will release a collection of the Strazewski/Parobeck 10-issue series that followed.
    I’ll be honest, I love the JSA but I’ve never even heard of this series. I got into JSA with Robinson/Goyer and have loved the characters ever since. However, while I’ve read the Crisis (many times) and looked up old Golden Age books, I never saw this series. Is this the first post crisis JSA story? Is it any good? Regardless, I preordered it lol

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    I’ll be honest, I love the JSA but I’ve never even heard of this series. I got into JSA with Robinson/Goyer and have loved the characters ever since. However, while I’ve read the Crisis (many times) and looked up old Golden Age books, I never saw this series. Is this the first post crisis JSA story? Is it any good? Regardless, I preordered it lol
    I’ve picked up a few issues in dollar bins and they are fun and enjoyable.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Voodoo Lou View Post

I’ll believe it when I see it. They’ve teased this release several times and nothing has happened.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    With the release in January of some JSA material, if sales are good, will DC finally publish a collection of the short lived series featuring Parobeck artwork?it’s been solicited and cancelled multiple times.
    Here's an earlier thread on the subject of a promised-but-never-delivered 1990s Justice Society of America collection: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...eries-tpb-what

The way I see it: I'll believe it when it's actually out in stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    These comics are much lighter than Johns' late '90s/2000s JSA series. They were very anachronistic in the early '90s, appearing on newsstands alongside the "grim 'n' gritty"/"extreme" work by Marvel, brand-new Image Comics, and unhip (at the time) DC. The 8-issue Justice Society miniseries is a 1950s period piece, and the 10-issue series that followed was about the JSA, having recently returned from being trapped in the battle of Ragnarok for eternity, readjusting to the modern world, older and wiser, and seeing how much things had changed in their absence. They were pretty optimistic, bright, and fun, without any of the doom, gloom, and ultraviolence pervading other comics at the time. As a result, they were probably very unpopular and sold poorly, but as I was discovering Vertigo and Image as a young teenager, they were a breath of fresh air.

I think DC wasn't happy with a bunch of "old farts" around while they were killing Superman, breaking Batman's back, turning Hal Jordan evil, and giving Guy Gardner his Warrior makeover... playing catch-up with all the "extreme" superheroes from their rivals. So the Zero Hour miniseries killed off some of the elder JSA members and aged others closer to their real ages, making them truly elderly and forcing them into retirement.
    Last edited by Big Bad Voodoo Lou; 12-26-2020 at 11:56 PM.
    Author of the law review article "The Lawyer as Superhero: How Marvel Comics' Daredevil Depicts the American Court System and Legal Practice," Capital University Law Review, Vol. 47, No. 2 (2019).

Incredible Member

The story has since been told that it was specifically Mike Carlin that killed that series. What’s been reported is the writer was told after issue 2 hit the stands that Carlin was gonna kill the book. God forbid, he allow readers a choice in the tone of their super hero stories.

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    The story has since been told that it was specifically Mike Carlin that killed that series. What’s been reported is the writer was told after issue 2 hit the stands that Carlin was gonna kill the book. God forbid, he allow readers a choice in the tone of their super hero stories.
    Didn't Carlin also have it in for Giffen and DeMatteis' Justice League America and Europe? The timeline makes sense, because their runs ended in 1992, when there wasn't much place for humor in superhero comics, and Dan Jurgens took over with Justice League America #61, less than a year before the Death of Superman.
    Last edited by Big Bad Voodoo Lou; 12-27-2020 at 09:57 AM.