14 15.05%
  • Shorter Dark Brown Hair (blue eyes)

5 5.38%
  • Shorter Dark Brown Hair (violet eyes)

24 25.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Looks like the violet eyes have it! Violet eyes are very uncommon though. It seems weird to give them to her in a comic that already pushes the boundary of weirdness.
    Yeah but it looks cool and gives her an “iconic” physical feature like how Superman has the spitcurl. Given the visual medium of comics I think it has a place. Realism should always take a back seat in cape fiction imo.

Lois always had blue eyes until the 90s Superman cartoon had her with violet eyes, which was popular and made the transition to comics.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I went shorter brown, violet eyes.

If I had my way, auburn with violet eyes because that's the most unique she'd look, but I think most remember her hair very dark. Hell, just when I think "Lois Lane" I usually remember dark brown/violet eyes so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Lois always had blue eyes until the 90s Superman cartoon had her with violet eyes, which was popular and made the transition to comics.
    Along with Dana Delaney's voice, they're just too perfect for Lois. Hell, it makes her gaze that much more piercing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah but it looks cool and gives her an “iconic” physical feature like how Superman has the spitcurl. Given the visual medium of comics I think it has a place. Realism should always take a back seat in cape fiction imo.
    This. It's her physical trademark that not many other characters copied or replicated. It's why I demand Jon have them too. He takes literally nothing visually from his mother. It's why I find it so odd writers want to insist he may be stronger than Clark because of his hybrid genetics when by all accounts the human sequences in his genetic code were all overwritten by Kryptonian and Lois is treated as nothing more than metaphorical soil for Clark's seed.
    Last edited by Robanker; 12-27-2020 at 12:37 PM.

Lightbulb

Short (light or dark, I really don't care which much) brown hair & violet eyes for me. Too many characters in DC have black hair including the Trinity so Lois should be different.
    Last edited by Celgress; 12-27-2020 at 06:15 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Retired

I find the purple eyes rather creepy. I believe this started with the animated series and on that show they didn't bother to give the character any pupils--so it's just a circle filled in with purple. Which gives the character a dead-eye look. I would rather have pupils with no iris (pretty common in comic book art) than no pupil. We seem to be genetically programmed to fixate on bull's-eyes. That's the first thing babies are oriented toward. An eye with no centre point is just disturbing.

I was thinking if you wanted to cosplay as Lois, what would you wear? There aren't many dead giveaways other than cheats like a press credentials badge you wear, or being arm-in-arm with a cosplaying Superman. In that sense, the STAS look is neat because it gave Lois an ersatz uniform. I have mixed feelings about it, though, because purple eyes just look weird in most contexts. It works for a hyper-stylized cartoon like STAS and the recent spate of animated movies, in some but not all art styles in comic books, and no way do I want the next Lois Lane actress to wear purple contacts unless she was an alien in a radical reboot or some make-believe (within make-believe) Krypton story, etc.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I was thinking if you wanted to cosplay as Lois, what would you wear? There aren't many dead giveaways other than cheats like a press credentials badge you wear, or being arm-in-arm with a cosplaying Superman. In that sense, the STAS look is neat because it gave Lois an ersatz uniform. I have mixed feelings about it, though, because purple eyes just look weird in most contexts. It works for a hyper-stylized cartoon like STAS and the recent spate of animated movies, in some but not all art styles in comic books, and no way do I want the next Lois Lane actress to wear purple contacts unless she was an alien in a radical reboot or some make-believe (within make-believe) Krypton story, etc.
    I see a purple top or blazer as a pretty common article of clothing for Lois in fan art so that's probably part of it.

I feel like the only way to make the purple eyes work in live action is a not especially vibrant hue and someone to make a comment that she's got eyes like Liz Taylor, though that reference gets less relevant with each passing year.

Watch more old movies, ya youngins!

The Adam Hughes version has become an all-time favorite...

Retired

I would think that someone with naturally dark brown hair would be more likely to have brown eyes. This is why a lot of actors cast to play Superman, if they have dark brown hair, have brown eyes. If the blue eyes is important to casting agents, they cast someone with lighter hair and then dye the hair black (or give him a wig). Or sometimes they have the actor wear contacts to change the eye colour. Now they can just change the colour in post.

It's better to cast a good actor and not worry so much if they look the part. They can always do things to make the actor appear more like the character. Yes Christopher Reeve had something of a physical resemblance to Superman, but he was quite skinny and he had light brown hair. He pumped iron with Arnold Schwarzenegger to build up his mass and they dyed his hair (or maybe some of that was a wig).

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    Yes, most women change up their hair color and length all the time, but for the comic medium, characters usually stick with a certain look to be instantly recognizable. For Lois, which look do you prefer:

Old School straight black hair:
    Attachment 103561

Mid-school (90's) dark auburn hair, slightly curled:
    Attachment 103562

Current look with dark brown hair (usually short):
    Attachment 103563

As for her eye color: violet or blue?
    Her look in the Lois Lane mini rocks. It reminds me of Terri Hatcher.

I don't care if her hair is curly or straight (and I think it's perfectly fine to change as fashions change), but is should be black. She absolutely should not have violet eyes, because people do not have purple eyes. Leave that to Garth and aliens and such. Of course, I wasn't an S:TAS fan, either. So while I would not mind her eye color changed to brown or green if people are that tired of blue eyes for comic characters, but no purple.

I just don't like it (find it more distracting than cool). And don't think it can be iconic when it was introduced so late in the character's history, and so long after she was famous. And I don't care much about the spit curl, either, sorry.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 12-28-2020 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I just don't like it (find it more distracting than cool). And don't think it can be iconic when it was introduced so late in the character's history, and so long after she was famous. And I don't care much about the spit curl, either, sorry.
    If it's attributed to a memorable appearance for the character, it usually becomes retroactively iconic.

Elizabeth Taylor's eyes were technically a blue-gray mix that often appeared violet. And I think a genuine violet eye color is possible, although it most often comes with a disorder like albinism.

So not at all common, but not entirely outright impossible.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-28-2020 at 11:29 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Elizabeth Taylor's eyes were technically a blue-gray mix that often appeared violet. And I think a genuine violet eye color is possible, although it most often comes with a disorder like albinism.
    Yes, but I understand that was often an artifact of the production methods (lighting, etc.) used then, and that after that got publicity, they touched up photos to make her eyes appear more violet (I read this after last time we had this discussion on this board). I did a Google for non-promotional more modern photographs, and they're nothing but blue to me.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I always picture her as Phyllis Coates, but Amy Adams really captures that energy with a modern sensibility.