• Curly Dark Auburn Hair (violet eyes)

14 15.05%
  • Shorter Dark Brown Hair (blue eyes)

5 5.38%
  • Shorter Dark Brown Hair (violet eyes)

24 25.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Was it Teri Hatcher on Lois and Clark or DCAU Lois that led to her dyeing her hair black in the comics? I don't think it was until Birthright that they retconned her natural hair color.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Was it Teri Hatcher on Lois and Clark or DCAU Lois that led to her dyeing her hair black in the comics? I don't think it was until Birthright that they retconned her natural hair color.
    Lois was generally always seen as dark haired. Margot Kidder was.

Probably the DCAU since they also tried to copy the retro Future look of Metropolis around that time they switched her hair color too

Retired

My memory is that Hatcher always had nice chestnut brown hair as Lois. Which fits within the range of colours they had for Lois in the 1990s comics. I don't remember her ever having raven black hair--unless it was in the final season, when I was only half watching that show--and switching the channel to watch THIRD ROCK FROM THE SUN.

6a00d8345158e369e201b7c92f1ed7970b.jpg

Definitely Super-Brain Lois......

This is pretty much it for me:
    lois.jpg
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Though personally terry hatcher will always be my lois.
    Oh yeah. Had such a massive crush on her as Lois 😍

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    My memory is that Hatcher always had nice chestnut brown hair as Lois. Which fits within the range of colours they had for Lois in the 1990s comics. I don't remember her ever having raven black hair--unless it was in the final season, when I was only half watching that show--and switching the channel to watch THIRD ROCK FROM THE SUN.
    Here is her look in Year 1, from episode #4:

and here she is in one of the final episodes of the last year:

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Here is her look in Year 1, . . .
    and here she is in one of the final episodes of the last year . . .
    Seems like her hair actually got lighter as the series went on--or it could just be a trick of the light.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Seems like her hair actually got lighter as the series went on--or it could just be a trick of the light.
    It isn't just the lighting. These photos came from IMDB, and if you go there and compare Lois photos from episodes in the first year with those from episodes in the last, it does in fact appear that her hair lightened from a very dark brown (like dark chocolate) to a lighter and redder shade of brown (like mahagony).

Astonishing Member

I suspect part of the reason for making Lois's hair medium or light brown or auburn is to provide contrast with Clark's jet-black coif (or, ugh, mullet) in their scenes together (which of course became even more frequent after they married). Having them both with raven tresses, viewed so that one of them is partially obscured by the other, produces an image that tends to look like a big black smudge.

I did always think they changed Lois's hair from black to brown to provide a contrast to Clark.
    Considering they also changed her eyes to violet, I see the animated series as being an influence on her change back to black hair, but it also was the look the general public expected her to have, from decades of older comics, movies, and the Lois and Clark tv series. It is her iconic look.

NOTE: This thread was originally created in late December of 2020.
    --------------------------

With 63 people having voted so far,
    * Straight Black Hair (violet eyes) = 27 votes
    * Shorter Dark Brown Hair (violet eyes)= 18 votes
    * Straight Black Hair (blue eyes) = 10 votes
    * Curly Dark Auburn Hair (violet eyes) = 10 votes
    * Curly Dark Auburn Hair (blue eyes) = 4 votes
    * Shorter Dark Brown Hair (blue eyes) = 3 votes

Voted for both the black and auburn hair with violet eyes.

In my book the violet eyes are a must have for a Lois Lane outside of live action (I'm not demanding actresses wear contacts for something this minor ) but the hair I'm much more flexible about.

In my head, Lois' hair is a weird mix of MCU Peggy Carter (retro but not old fashioned style, wavy) and Erica Durance (big, sexy, but not beyond professionalism). Often worn in a (semi-unintentionally) messy bun with random pens sticking out of it.

But I'm not picky. I don't like it when Lois' hair makes her look like Wonder Woman, and I don't like the super short pixie cut. Other than that I'm ambivalent about the hair.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    In my book the violet eyes are a must have for a Lois Lane outside of live action (I'm not demanding actresses wear contacts for something this minor ) but the hair I'm much more flexible about.
    Definitely agree. The violet eyes and Lois have become synonymous.

But I'm not picky. I don't like it when Lois' hair makes her look like Wonder Woman, and I don't like the super short pixie cut. Other than that I'm ambivalent about the hair.
    As much as I love him, Jurgens was guilty of this for much of the 90's; his Lois and Diana were interchangeable save for the tiara and black/brown hair color.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES