Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Adventure Comics #84.

adventure84CrimeCarnival.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    A few pages of the first Golden Age Sandman story, originally in Adventure Comics #40 (July 1939), but these are from when it was reprinted in Justice League of America #94 (November 1971).
    I love how the last panel on each page demands you keep reading. They’re like mini-cliffhangers. That drawing of Wes in his lab is fire.

I also like how they describe the gas as smelling like violets. What a great, perfect detail. It should absolutely smell like violets.

While Sandman was one of the original members of the Justice Society of America, as first seen in All Star Comics #3 (Winter 1940), his feature had previously appeared in issue #1 (Summer 1940).

To be continued . . .

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

3548042-20.jpgReally liked the issue but prefer Mystery Theatre

Extraordinary Member

I've always thought that SMT was one of the very greatest works of comic book literature, (yes, I think it and other classic comic books rise to the level of literature), ever done. I have some others in that category, but this was and is a particular treat. And I'd go with that version.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I've always thought that SMT was one of the very greatest works of comic book literature, (yes, I think it and other classic comic books rise to the level of literature), ever done. I have some others in that category, but this was and is a particular treat. And I'd go with that version.
    I agree wholeheartedly.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

These days, when it seems I'm ordering maybe a third of the new issues I once did, I've begun re-reading series I haven't seen in years, decades, even. And Sandman Mystery Theatre is one of them, one it happens I'm currently re-reading. I've finished up to "The Mist" and seem to've stopped buying it until The Scarlet Ghost (#49). It seems I may find myself searching for issues between 40 and 49. I do have the first three of "Sleep of Reason". Thank you all for your listing of titles, and pages from earlier Sandman comics-- was surprised to see how Wagner's Tarantula so closely followed the earlier tarantula story. And, of course, I'll have to hunt up my Starman issues (18-22?), where apparently Jack and Wesley again cross paths... So glad to find others who so enjoy this series.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

If people enjoyed Matt Wagner's Sandman Mystery Theatre, Wagner had Wes and Dian Belmont appear in issues #11-15 of Madame Xanadu in 2009.

NOTE: The portion of the storyline with Dian and Wes takes place in 1940; there's also an additional storyline that is set in flashbacks during the late 15th century.

And issues #11-15 were then collected into Madame Xanadu (Vol. 2): Exodus Noir.

More from All Star Comics #1 (Summer 1940) . . .

To be concluded . . .

Final page of The Sandman feature that was in All Star Comics #1 (Summer 1940):

from DC Universe Legacies #1 (July 2010)

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post

Oh, yeah. The cover of a collected edition.
    Loses something when you don't see everything that was originally there.

And that was from The Flash #275 (July 1979), back before CoIE when The Sandman was on Earth-2, but his Golden Age comic book stories had been published on Earth-1 (which was Barry's and Iris' Earth).

And that was Iris dressed as Batgirl.

Since DC has released The Black Canary: Bird of Prey,

which seems to be a paperback equivalent of the old THE BLACK CANARY ARCHIVES VOL. 1 from 2003

I wonder if there's any chance we may eventually get a tpb equivalent of GOLDEN AGE SANDMAN ARCHIVES VOL. 1

https://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nov...archives-vol-1

I guess we'd probably need a movie or TV version with Wes Dodds first for that to happen.

Sandman is "invited" to join the Justice Society of America, from DC Special #29 (August-September 1977).