Page 88 of 233 FirstFirst ... 387884858687888990919298138188 ... LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 3488

Weird to see Damian in this. Its not like he needs more exposure and isn't he supposed to be half arabian? Not asian?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Weird to see Damian in this. Its not like he needs more exposure and isn't he supposed to be half arabian? Not asian?
    Ra's al Ghul is actually asian:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ra%27s_al_Ghul#Origin
    As told in Birth of the Demon, Ra's al Ghul (known only as The Physician prior to adopting the moniker) was born over 600 years before his first appearance in Batman comics, to a tribe of Chinese nomads settling in the desert in eastern North Africa, near a city governed by a Sultan.

Thanks, was not aware of that.

Extraordinary Member

Thanks, was not aware of that.
    Yea, he's more along the lines of the Mongols than the Han Chinese.

Monkey Prince reminds me of that Lego Monkey King cartoon.

Wow, Cass has two stories! One of which has Colin!

Would Arkillo make fun of someone's outfit? Maybe.

It's cool to see Grace having a "meet the parents" moment with Jefferson.

Damian's story looks like it's going to have him directly acknowledge his ethnicity.

I forget Emiko is half-Japanese because of Shado. I guess she wouldn't really be into moe or Otaku culture.

Greg Pak back at DC and writing Connor and Kenan? Wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Now I think every Batgirl has their own version of this cover (Steph being the original, then Babs, then Cass).

Extraordinary Member

Pretty sure these are for the above:

https://twitter.com/juni_ba/status/1376638774088757254

So it turns out this is not for the Asian Superhero special nor for Batman Black and White - guessing it's for something unannounced.

If it was any further west it would be in Africa, but Saudi Arabia is actually in Asia, so if he's Arabian, he's also Asian.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    If it was any further west it would be in Africa, but Saudi Arabia is actually in Asia, so if he's Arabian, he's also Asian.
    It depends - the US Census Bureau for example classifies people of Middle Eastern or North African descent as white.

It depends - the US Census Bureau for example classifies people of Middle Eastern or North African descent as white.
    Americans treat race rather strangely. But being White and being Asian are not mutually exclusive. An Asian is anyone from an Asian ethnic group.

Asians are not just East Asians. Central Asians like the Kazakhs, Uzbeks etc, and Middle Easterners like Arabs, Israelis and Kurds are just as Asian as the Chinese and Japanese. Thus Damian would qualify. As would other middle easterners such as Simon Baz. A criticism of the book could be an East Asian centric approach. India is in asia and I do not see a single Indian character in the book sadly. Don't get me wrong though! I am still incredibly hyped! very much looking forward to it!

There are plenty of 'white' Asian people groups - Armenians, Georgians, Finno Ugric peoples native to Siberia etc.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    Americans treat race rather strangely. But being White and being Asian are not mutually exclusive. An Asian is anyone from an Asian ethnic group.

Asians are not just East Asians. Central Asians like the Kazakhs, Uzbeks etc, and Middle Easterners like Arabs, Israelis and Kurds are just as Asian as the Chinese and Japanese. Thus Damian would qualify.
    Right, when I said "it depends" I probably should've expanded a bit more, I'm sure you there are Middle Easterners that consider themselves to be Asian but I'm also sure there are some Middle Easterners who consider themselves to be white or consider themselves to be their own category. Using the broadest definition would mean Damian would be Asian if he was Arabian but he's not Arabian...so, you know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

A criticism of the book could be an East Asian centric approach. India is in asia and I do not see a single Indian character in the book sadly. Don't get me wrong though! I am still incredibly hyped! very much looking forward to it!
    Yea, I noticed that as well. Little weird to me that the book seems to be limited to East Asian characters while applying a broader Asian definition when it comes to the creators involved - but like you I'm also still excited for it.

Right, when I said "it depends" I probably should've expanded a bit more, I'm sure you there are Middle Easterners that consider themselves to be Asian but I'm also sure there are some Middle Easterners who consider themselves to be white or consider themselves to be their own category. Using the broadest definition would mean Damian would be Asian if he was Arabian but he's not Arabian...so, you know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    ah sorry I didnt quite get you! Its all a bit of a murky area especially in areas where race comes second to nationality/ethnic group! I must say im a lot more used to viewing things through nationality rather than race but that might be cause im from Europe

Yea, I noticed that as well. Little weird to me that the book seems to be limited to East Asian characters while applying a broader Asian definition when it comes to the creators involved - but like you I'm also still excited for it.
    Out of the characters featured in the book! we have!

Cassandra Cain - Chinese
    Damian Wayne - Arab
    Emiko Queen - Chinese
    Grace Choi - Chinese
    Kong Kenan - Chinese
    Monkey Prince - Chinese
    Tai Pham - Vietnamese
    Tatsu Yamashiro - Japanese

The new catgirl not quite sure!

I kinda hope these anthologies become a yearly thing! I definitely think there would be a big enough audience! If they do one next year I think it would be cool to add a character from India! Does DC actually have any big Indian characters? None really come to my head apart from solstice!
    Last edited by Katana500; 04-05-2021 at 01:38 PM.

https://twitter.com/IAmBradWalker/st...392556547?s=19
    And it haver one emoji from Andrea Shea

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    ah sorry I didnt quite get you! Its all a bit of a murky area especially in areas where race comes second to nationality/ethnic group! I must say im a lot more used to viewing things through nationality rather than race but that might be cause im from Europe

Out of the characters featured in the book! we have!

Cassandra Cain - Chinese
    Damian Wayne - Arab
    Emiko Queen - Chinese
    Grace Choi - Chinese
    Kong Kenan - Chinese
    Monkey Prince - Chinese
    Tai Pham - Vietnamese
    Tatsu Yamashiro - Japanese

The new catgirl not quite sure!

I kinda hope these anthologies become a yearly thing! I definitely think there would be a big enough audience! If they do one next year I think it would be cool to add a character from India! Does DC actually have any big Indian characters? None really come to my head apart from solstice!
    Emiko is Japanese, not Chinese.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Emiko is Japanese, not Chinese.
    Ah whoops!

Her story is about not wanting to be seen as a japamese stereotype as well.

A rookie error by me!

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

2021 and we're finally getting Journey to the West DC edition.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?