Page 192 of 205 FirstFirst ... 92142182188189190191192193194195196202 ... LastLast
Results 2,866 to 2,880 of 3069
  1. #2866
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    11,868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Didn’t JLD have better sales than Titans? Could’ve sworn it was a solid seller.
    Teen Titans is old and established franchise that has had more success in outside media.
    This gets you on a shelf no matter how bad you are. SOMEONE is going to order copies.

    JLD being ranked at 79 and TT at 105 is your sales boost due to quality for DC or Marvel books. Still not great but it got a few more copies on the shelf.


    So why in your opinion nobody wants to write a character that has a TV show currently?
    I think you got folks who want to do that and even some fans who WOULD support it.

    However when you deal with markets where you as the company have ZERO control in what is ordered-we see pushback.
    Something I have seen with paperback books based on shows.

    I can't tell you how many books based on shows I have tripped over at Half Price Books yet NEVER heard of these books when those shows were on the air.
    And the FUNNY part you saw ZERO ads for those books during those shows.

    Unless you read Archie Comics-you had no idea Sabrina The Teen Witch had a monthly book line. Star Trek DS9 had a Jake Sisko line of 9 books. Worf had a book line.
    Static Shock, Soul Food, Girlfriends, Family Matters, Sister, Sister, Kenan & Kel, Cousin Skeeter, Zoey 101, Doug and more had book lines.

    Of course the downside to this is they had books as book stores started dying off and Wal-Mart and Target were not carrying them.

    A Star Girl book or OGN or novel should be a no brainer. However you have to make sure folks can access it beyond online vendors. Like her season 1 dvd-aside from the library (where I got to see it) I have YET to see it anywhere else. Same with Vixen, Static Shock, Swamp Thing, Black Lightning and season 2 of Doom Patrol.

  2. #2867
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA USA
    Posts
    5,920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I like his JLD, but I will not miss his portrayal of Zatanna.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    Yeah, me too. Sadly it seems that almost all the writers nowadays seem to portray Zatanna as Ram V did.
    I think V just continued the characterization he was given from Tynion...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009
    7,869

    The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

  3. #2868
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    73,223

    Default

    I wonder who will take over Catwoman.

  4. #2869
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA USA
    Posts
    5,920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder who will take over Catwoman.
    Maybe Genevieve Valentine is available...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009
    7,869

    The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

  5. #2870
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    73,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Maybe Genevieve Valentine is available...
    I guess I'd be morbidly curious to see if she'd have a different take on the character now.

  6. #2871
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA USA
    Posts
    5,920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess I'd be morbidly curious to see if she'd have a different take on the character now.
    "Morbidly"? I take it you weren't a fan of her New 52 run? Lol (I loved it!)
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009
    7,869

    The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

  7. #2872
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    73,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    "Morbidly"? I take it you weren't a fan of her New 52 run? Lol (I loved it!)
    I liked it well enough, although I wouldn't call it my favorite Catwoman run.

  8. #2873
    Extraordinary Member John Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I like his JLD, but I will not miss his portrayal of Zatanna.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    Yeah, me too. Sadly it seems that almost all the writers nowadays seem to portray Zatanna as Ram V did.
    Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I think V just continued the characterization he was given from Tynion...
    Tynion was also continuing the characterization set by Jeff Lemire who was following Peter Milligan who kicked off the book in the first place*. Though even Milligan was just following how Gaiman characterized her in Book of Magic #4 and Moore in Swamp Thing. So yeah, DC is consistent, just with the weakest version of the character.

    Aside from Zatanna characterization I like everything else Ram V has written and the art on JLD has been top notch since Rebirth. Plus it was nice to see a writer of South Asian descent handling so many major DC titles. Hopefully it wasn't a fluke and it leads to more of us getting that opportunity.


    *I know JM DeMattis took over at some point between Lemire and Tynion IV but I can't speak to how he characterized Zatanna since I had dropped the book by then.

  9. #2874
    Ultimate Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    12,735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    Well, Teen Titans declined in sales (it was really justified. Robin, their lead character, was supposed to become the villain for 5G and began building secret prisons and tormenting criminals and fans just left the book because it was awfal).
    Titans (a different title) sold well until Nightwing was shot in the head, became amnesic and left the Book.
    Teen Titans now became the new Teen Titans Academy book, and it actually debuted with great sales and just plunged since because it's written badly and focuses on entirely new characters.
    So there was a general interest at the beginning, just very bad execution.
    My hot take is they should bench the Titans until someone comes up with a Hickman HoX/PoX tier revamp for them, because that franchise hasn’t had a must read run in ages. Just put out a Titans Webtoon comic in the meanwhile, I’m sure the majority of the Titans fanbase would love that since the “family” dynamics seem to be the main thing people care about with Titans anyway.
    For when my rants on the forums just arenít enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

  10. #2875
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    73,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    My hot take is they should bench the Titans until someone comes up with a Hickman HoX/PoX tier revamp for them, because that franchise hasn’t had a must read run in ages. Just put out a Titans Webtoon comic in the meanwhile, I’m sure the majority of the Titans fanbase would love that since the “family” dynamics seem to be the main thing people care about with Titans anyway.
    I'm not saying the franchise is at its best now, although it would be kind of weird for DC to bench one of their marketable franchises in my opinion.

    Then again, they still haven't released a JSA book...

  11. #2876
    Extraordinary Member HsssH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,080

    Default

    They are releasing those Raven and Beast Boy YA books, maybe they are doing well?

  12. #2877
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    My hot take is they should bench the Titans until someone comes up with a Hickman HoX/PoX tier revamp for them, because that franchise hasnít had a must read run in ages. Just put out a Titans Webtoon comic in the meanwhile, Iím sure the majority of the Titans fanbase would love that since the ďfamilyĒ dynamics seem to be the main thing people care about with Titans anyway.
    I'm not sure why they should do it. If the Titans are okay sellers even if their runs are mediocre, why bench them?
    Dick and Wally have solos right now, and Raven and Beast Boy have top-selling YA OGN, so there's a general interest in these characters, and it's a shame to toss other characters like cyborg or Starfire into limbo.
    A webtoon series is also a great idea, but I don't see a reason to bench this team in comics. Actually, it's quite a problem that DC doesn't have many team books at the moment, because many good characters that can't have their own solos are just fading into limbo.

  13. #2878
    Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    They are releasing those Raven and Beast Boy YA books, maybe they are doing well?
    Those two sell very well along with Harley's Breaking Glass and The Oracle one

  14. #2879
    Extraordinary Member John Venus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    My hot take is they should bench the Titans until someone comes up with a Hickman HoX/PoX tier revamp for them, because that franchise hasnít had a must read run in ages. Just put out a Titans Webtoon comic in the meanwhile, Iím sure the majority of the Titans fanbase would love that since the ďfamilyĒ dynamics seem to be the main thing people care about with Titans anyway.
    I disagree.

    Slow burn it. Have the Titans guest star in each others books. Wally guests in Dick's book and vice versa. Then do a relaunch mixing old characters with new characters along wit some of unexpected ones.

    People like the Titans because of their relationship and sense of history they have with each other. Build on that.

  15. #2880
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    876

    Default

    Or maybe they can just give Titans to some good writer, who won't attempt to make another edgy shit, and also will work without barely developed concepts and characters, like we see in Titans Academy. Make it with original team, or completely new, doesn't matter, they just need a good series, which will not rely only on the mystery of the secret identity of an uninteresting character.
    To be honest, I thought that after DiDio departure Titans would feel way better, just like Dick and Wally.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •