Page 59 of 233 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109159 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Ok so there is a book on Nubia, they're not just gonna let her be a background Queen while Hypolitta's off being Justice League. That's good, that makes sense, coz otherwise people would riot.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    This is probably too on the nose, but could they be doing something a la DCeased?
    Depend if they plan to make the vampires hot or not since the Red Rain vampires are not hot. Unless you're into that.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 02-19-2021 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    This is probably too on the nose, but could they be doing something a la DCeased?
    Taylor has more stuff coming and he’s pretty much embraced his role as the “edgy dark Elseworld” writer given he’s doing Dark Ages for Marvel. Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s writing the vampire stuff.

I am kind of curious who will be the writers on these upcoming books. More new people?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    At this point I am really beginning to lose my patience in regard to DC and how they have not yet announced actual plans for the JSA relaunch. We've been waiting since Doomsday Clock Ended, we've only gotten a few scattered cameos and guest appearances, and the Alan & his kids and Stargirl stories in the Infinite Frontier special can only maintain my good will for so long(and the later seems to be more related the seven soldiers special). Williamson's vague assurances that there are plans he can't talk about are starting to sound empty. Really, they announce plans for 11 more titles for this year and JSA isn't among them? I want to know what's going on.
    Perhaps they've realized that the JSA doesn't make sense in the current universe and can't sustain a book anyway. They have to sell books to new readers to survive, no cater to older fans anymore.

With the Titans and JL, plus the cheer age of the main characters of JSA, them still being here makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Perhaps they've realized that the JSA doesn't make sense in the current universe and can't sustain a book anyway. They have to sell books to new readers to survive, no cater to older fans anymore.

With the Titans and JL, plus the cheer age of the main characters of JSA, them still being here makes no sense.
    Then why the Stargirl tv show? Why their appearance in the Black Adam movie? Why the animated movie? If they didn't make sense in DC they wouldn't be promoted in other media, and would have been buried under the carpet like they never existed.

At least is a good thing that Marvel is releasing more interesting content instead of 50 batbooks, even Heroes Reborn seems more interesting that almost everything that DC has announced and that's saying too much (as the current Heroes Reborn seems like a copy of DC in some of it's series lmao).
    Last edited by Johnrevenge; 02-20-2021 at 01:23 AM.

I think if it was something like I, Vampire then they would have just called it like that. So it is probably Red Rain universe, or inspired by it, and they are looking for some "funny" title like they had with DCeased. And yeah, probably Taylor is on it.

Legend of Batman sounds rather confusing when we already have Legend of Dark Knight announced, no?

Deathstroke Inc. sounds interesting, but it really depends on who is writing it and if it won't be in a permanent crossover with Titans Academy. Priest had introduced Defiance team in his ongoing so it probably would make sense to build from it. Characters involved with it were Deathstroke, Adeline Kane, Jericho, Wallace Flash, Rose, Terra, Wintergreen and Tanya Power Girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    Then why the Stargirl tv show? Why their appearance in the Black Adam movie? Why the animated movie? If they didn't make sense in DC they wouldn't be promoted in other media, and would have been buried under the carpet like they never existed.

At least is a good thing that Marvel is releasing more interesting content instead of 50 batbooks, even Heroes Reborn seems more interesting that almost everything that DC has announced and that's saying too much (as the current Heroes Reborn seems like a copy of DC in some of it's series lmao).
    Stargirl doesn't seem to focus too much on the actual JSA and we know that shows don't assure ongoings (Black Lightning being a case in point). And the JSA isn't the main selling point of Black Adam (and in my eyes a mistake, it'll weaken the film to have to waste so much time to explain those characters when Adam's story alone is great enough to sustain a first movie).

Incredible Member

I thought it was pretty obvious DC doesn't care about JSA with the new 52 book.

They finally got what they wanted for decades (other than killing them all a la Zero Hour) and deaged them (older heroes are uncool) and got rid of their legacies (which lock them into being older and thus uncool), and then once the writer who actually cared about those characters got fed up with editorial and walked off, most of them were ultimately tossed into the garbage in favor of pushing Earth 2 Superman and Batman and their supporting characters. Any JSA/Infinity Inc members introduced after Robinson was gone all rung so hollow, like the writers skimmed their comic vine and wikipedia pages. By the time Abnett walked on the entire setting (let alone the characters) was ruined beyond repair. Which is actually pretty impressive considering that Earth 2 was only a thing from 2012-2017.
    Last edited by M L A; 02-20-2021 at 03:48 AM.

Mighty Member

The worst, JSA could become history.

New readers aren't coming on board with or without JSA. If they want to sell books they need to promote and market books other than the usual few. Just looked at the sales and even titles that sold well registered below 30k. Seems that older fans are leaving as well.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarFarr View Post
    New readers aren't coming on board with or without JSA. If they want to sell books they need to promote and market books other than the usual few. Just looked at the sales and even titles that sold well registered below 30k. Seems that older fans are leaving as well.
    The problem is that attract new fans in the direct market is pretty difficult. They need to go to comics stores and prices are pretty high.

OGNs are more accesible for new fans.
    Last edited by Konja7; 02-20-2021 at 05:42 AM.

Incredible Member

How doesn't the JSA "make sense" in the current universe?

And it doesn't matter because the characters are back in universe from Doomsday Clock and other appearances, and we want the team back in full with a book.

Why do you think they couldn't sustain a book? The JSA books(Remember immediately pre-flashpoint there was Justice Society of America, JSA All-Stars, and Power Girl?) were decent sellers in the 2000's. They were only gotten rid of due to Editorial preferences during the new 52 and the intended replacement with New 52 Earth 2 was something a lot of us didn't want.

And you're making a major logical fallacy to assume somebody just be an older fan to care about the JSA. I'd say that most of us probably weren't even alive in the 1940's. We discovered the JSA through there later appearances, and a good number of us like myself really came to know them through 2000's era. And most of DC's characters have been in publishing just as long as the JSA.

Just because the JL and Titans exist doesn't mean there aren't room for other superhero teams. And there are only a few veteran members in the team Doomsday Clock, and they all have reasonable explanations for their vitality. If they can fight the good fight they're going to just because they're heroes. And The rest of the team are younger legacy characters.

It sounds like you really have something against the JSA.

Stargirl doesn't seem to focus too much on the actual JSA and we know that shows don't assure ongoings (Black Lightning being a case in point). And the JSA isn't the main selling point of Black Adam (and in my eyes a mistake, it'll weaken the film to have to waste so much time to explain those characters when Adam's story alone is great enough to sustain a first movie).
    Uhhhh the opening scene of Stargirl is of the JSA and they are used plenty. Also the JSA is a generational book at this point so it’s not like people are only expecting the older WW2 characters. Also as a “newer” reader i would LOVE to see a new take on the JSA characters. The main JL book hasn’t been great in a long time and despite Titans previously being my favorite team DC almost consistently fails on that front.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    The problem is that attract new fans in the direct market is pretty difficult. They need to go to comics stores and prices are pretty high.

OGNs are more accesible for new fans.
    Not that convinced that OGN's are that popular or have such sales. Took a look at sales nothing really spectacular that indicates that they are that sought. Could be that people who buy monthly comics buy also OGN. Problem with comics is that writers seem to run out of ideas and rehash a lot. How many times a character gets killed, you do it once ok. twice it is tolerated, third time people start to get bored.
    Facts are the younger people are more drawn towards manga, the reasons could be various.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    How doesn't the JSA "make sense" in the current universe?

And it doesn't matter because the characters are back in universe from Doomsday Clock and other appearances, and we want the team back in full with a book.

Why do you think they couldn't sustain a book? The JSA books(Remember immediately pre-flashpoint there was Justice Society of America, JSA All-Stars, and Power Girl?) were decent sellers in the 2000's. They were only gotten rid of due to Editorial preferences during the new 52 and the intended replacement with New 52 Earth 2 was something a lot of us didn't want.

And you're making a major logical fallacy to assume somebody just be an older fan to care about the JSA. I'd say that most of us probably weren't even alive in the 1940's. We discovered the JSA through there later appearances, and a good number of us like myself really came to know them through 2000's era. And most of DC's characters have been in publishing just as long as the JSA.

Just because the JL and Titans exist doesn't mean there aren't room for other superhero teams. And there are only a few veteran members in the team Doomsday Clock, and they all have reasonable explanations for their vitality. If they can fight the good fight they're going to just because they're heroes. And The rest of the team are younger legacy characters.

It sounds like you really have something against the JSA.
    Not only that but Earth 2 sold around other titles like Flash, Batgirl, JLD in that 35-40k range, even after Robinson left and the book went down the toilet. Wasn't until World's End and the book's cancellation did sales dip below 30k. They thought relaunching it after World's End would give it a better chance but for some god forsaken reason they relaunched it with one of the World's End writers despite World's End getting hammered by fans and critics.

And I dunno if it was every confirmed but I remember a rumor that Robinson left because he wanted a second book focusing on the World Army crew but DC/some editor wanted a Red Batman book. So DC also thought the setting could sustain two books, even if one was a non-Bruce Batman.

So JSA clearly has fans (and DC knows it) but kinda similar to Didio and his disdain for certain Titans members DC's willing to ignore money if it means they get to ignore the characters.
    Last edited by M L A; 02-20-2021 at 06:44 AM.

Astonishing Member

Pretty much DC management in a nutshell. They don't care about making money, rather it's about fulfilling the fanboy dreams of the people on the top. It's truly amazing how management was utterly divorced from the market and more concerned about making DC their personal playground. Imagine if they had spent one tenth the effort trying to clean up DC and get rid of the racism/sexism endemic within their ranks instead of sabotaging books because of some childhood petty vendettas. It's no wonder the company is pretty much on life support and flooding the market with Batman books to try and save what's left of the company.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 02-20-2021 at 08:20 AM.