Page 156 of 233 FirstFirst ... 56106146152153154155156157158159160166206 ... LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,340 of 3488
    Extraordinary Member

From Ram V's newsletter:

https://mailchi.mp/d839b780240e/fly-...5?e=3fa66b08cf
    Occasionally, you get the opportunity to work on projects that let you do both. Swamp Thing has certainly been in that category and going forward that kind of thing is what I want to do. Write a story, create a run that predominantly has my take on a character and is not averse to upsetting the status quo. That's the sweet spot when it comes to working on licensed material. More and more, I am looking to take on that kind of storytelling challenge. Something in that space was recently greenlit at DC with a stellar collaborator on art. More news on PROJECT PRESSURE soon.

I’m guessing it will be another Indian successor to a mantle, but I don’t know who.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I understand the why of all the Batman stuff, but it still annoys me. I mean damn, I don't even remember it being this much with the Wolverine saturation back in the day. But maybe I'm looking through rose colored glasses there to fuel my annoyance.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I understand the why of all the Batman stuff, but it still annoys me. I mean damn, I don't even remember it being this much with the Wolverine saturation back in the day. But maybe I'm looking through rose colored glasses there to fuel my annoyance.
    That used to irritate me to no end and I always liked Logan as a character, but I was so sick of him that I was so overjoyed when Peter threw him out of the window of the Avengers Tower. lol Oversaturation isn't always good, even if you understand the "why". Just because DC's name literally means Detective Comics doesn't mean that's what half of their line should be about.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I think that Aquaman/Green Arrow has potential to sell, but stuff like Crush/Lobo is definitely on that list.
    Blue/Gold as well. If we start getting more niche stuff like that I can live with overbaturation.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

I might feel similarly about the Bat-books if they weren't all very strong. The only one that I find less than good or great is Tynion's main Batman title, which I still find okay. I just want good comics. I don't care nearly as much about favorite characters getting a spotlight, though that matters to me too.

And so far, the post-Didio, post-Death Metal, post-Future State DC has been of great quality to me. I'm loving what I'm reading, more than at any time since pre-Flashpoint, and feel the only major title that is really bad is Bendis's JL. I understand the frustration but I wonder if anyone actually hates or even dislikes any of the current Bat-books.

I wonder too how members here feel about the quality of the line overall, regardless of who's in the leading role, since a post-March DC titles thread seems the best place to ask that.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I might feel similarly about the Bat-books if they weren't all very strong. The only one that I find less than good or great is Tynion's main Batman title, which I still find okay. I just want good comics. I don't care nearly as much about favorite characters getting a spotlight, though that matters to me too.

And so far, the post-Didio, post-Death Metal, post-Future State DC has been of great quality to me. I'm loving what I'm reading, more than at any time since pre-Flashpoint, and feel the only major title that is really bad is Bendis's JL. I understand the frustration but I wonder if anyone actually hates or even dislikes any of the current Bat-books.

I wonder too how members here feel about the quality of the line overall, regardless of who's in the leading role, since a post-March DC titles thread seems the best place to ask that.
    The art is pretty great on most books, but the only Bat books I'm pulling every month are Nightwing at this point. I dropped Tec because while I love Dan Mora (have since Klaus and Once & Future) and Huntress, the writing just wasn't there for me.

Does Bat/Super count? That too.

I have been thinking about picking up a Harley Book for the first time ever (other than when PG shows up) because I've heard it's addressing a problem I've had with Harley's redemption arc (you know. That she never had one).

But most the other Bat stuff just has zero appeal to me. Anecdotal, sure, but you asked and I'll say I overall dislike the direction of the Bat line and have for well over a decade. Every year we drift further from a Batman I find appealing.
    May we never forget:

Just curious Robanker, what did you think of the Grant Morrison run on Batman?

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I think the overall quality of the line has improved. Is there too much Bat-stuff for my tastes? Absolutely - but the rest of the stuff that I'm reading (which is way too much tbh) has been good enough that I'll accept contentions like Khouri's. On a logical level. Emotionally, I want Aquaman, GA/BC, Hawkman, LoSh, Doom Patrol, et al back.

I alsowant to be able to drop the main Bat-books without feeling like I'm missing out on the most important DCU happenings - cuz tbh he's become one of my least favorite characters that I only buy out of obligation to my long uninterrupted collection.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

A few misses but most of them have been awesome, I feel like the creative teams we have on the current stories are bringing their all, a good variety of new and old characters, and a good use of miniseries to promote some lesser known characters.

I feel like there is a book out for most dc readers right now and there is a lot of fun to be had. I also feel like we are seeing actual progression in our comic universe after a decade of reboots and rebirths. I’m very interested in what is next.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    The art is pretty great on most books, but the only Bat books I'm pulling every month are Nightwing at this point. I dropped Tec because while I love Dan Mora (have since Klaus and Once & Future) and Huntress, the writing just wasn't there for me.

Does Bat/Super count? That too.

I have been thinking about picking up a Harley Book for the first time ever (other than when PG shows up) because I've heard it's addressing a problem I've had with Harley's redemption arc (you know. That she never had one).

But most the other Bat stuff just has zero appeal to me. Anecdotal, sure, but you asked and I'll say I overall dislike the direction of the Bat line and have for well over a decade. Every year we drift further from a Batman I find appealing.
    Thanks for the earnest reply. Bummer than you're not enjoying the Bat-stuff more. You have my sympathy and I'm certain you're not alone. I wonder how you feel about the rest of the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Just curious Robanker, what did you think of the Grant Morrison run on Batman?
    Mixed feelings on it overall, but they were trying to be reconstructive. Grant always ends up reinforcing Batgod despite their best intentions and I cannot stand Batgod. Growing up, Batman was my favorite superhero but compounding circlejerk upon circlejerk made me just lose interest and Bruce no longer resembles the hero I enjoyed. Morrison has always pushed Bruce further into godhood which is further from what I found so appealing about the character.

Thanks for the earnest reply. Bummer than you're not enjoying the Bat-stuff more. You have my sympathy and I'm certain you're not alone. I wonder how you feel about the rest of the line.
    Mixed overall. Now that Superman is no longer warming the bench for Superman: Son of Kal-El, the latter is the stronger book. I'm interested to see what Morrison's got cooking in Superman and the Authority (an idea I cannot stand but Morrison has proven me wrong before so I'm in for the run). Action Comics is shaping up to be pretty solid. The books are shaping up to be quite good even if I really don't want Clark replaced.

Nightwing is excellent. Wonder Woman is the best it's been in a very long time. Likewise for Flash. Justice League I'm losing interest in at the moment but Dark has been so strong I'll stick around if only for that.

Batman/Superman is awesome. Shame it's cancelled.

Stuff like Superman: Red and Blue or Wonder Woman: Black and Gold make me pretty happy and I want more of it. Here's hoping we see Flash: Red and Gold, Green Lantern: Green and Grey and Aquaman: Orange and Blue.

Won't happen, but here's to hoping none-the-less.

Green Lantern I'm behind on but I was enjoying. Everything else I'm either reading and not caught up on currently (time is a resource I'm ill afforded of late) or just not for me. Overall, the books I'm reading have been good-to-great but nothing has been stellar.

Some dishonorable mentions, not specifically to be rude but more to provide a more even shot.

Tynion's Batman and overall direction for the line aren't for me.

Detective Comics lost me. I gave the book Future State and six issues because I adore Dan Mora from his indie stuff and wanted to support his art, but this book just isn't for me even when it brings in a character I love, Huntress.

Strange Adventures is a beautiful mess. Tom King can deliver great work but this wasn't it. Eleven issues in and the answers are the telegraphed ones from the beginning, which isn't really forgivable in a mystery this drawn out. There were no surprises, no real twists or turns, just one long wet drawn-out fart that scorches the Earth it treads upon. I don't have a deep love for Adam or Alanna but I felt dirty after reading this and not in the intended way. It felt like a deeply angry waste of time that turned into a heated 2AM argument outside a Denny's where someone doesn't go home at the end. First time in a long time I genuinely felt ripped off. After Batman and Heroes in Crisis, I'd all but given up on Tom King, but some of his work like Superman: Up in the Sky, Grayson and Green Lantern: Darkseid War Special are really strong and I was going to give him another shot here off the strength of those and my unabashed love of Doc Shaner's artwork.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Mixed feelings on it overall, but they were trying to be reconstructive. Grant always ends up reinforcing Batgod despite their best intentions and I cannot stand Batgod. Growing up, Batman was my favorite superhero but compounding circlejerk upon circlejerk made me just lose interest and Bruce no longer resembles the hero I enjoyed. Morrison has always pushed Bruce further into godhood which is further from what I found so appealing about the character.
    So what do you think about second part of Inc. that basically ends with Bruce losing to Talia and getting humiliated by Kathy? Even first part ends with Bruce getting outplayed by a villain with alzheimer's.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    So what do you think about second part of Inc. that basically ends with Bruce losing to Talia and getting humiliated by Kathy? Even first part ends with Bruce getting outplayed by a villain with alzheimer's.
    That was on the downswing of "mixed," even if I remember it differently.

I liked that Morrison was trying to bring the swashbuckling adventurer quality back to Bruce, the James Bond if you will, but it all got lost in the gonzo Batgod shuffle. By the time we get to Inc I'm very much over the run. Their work with Bruce more or less stopped being for me with RIP, though the Dick Grayson Batman second act brought me back in until Bruce came back.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    He talks about that too. The market is the market, you can advertise as much as you want, there’s only so many people out there who are going to buy Hawkman. DC knows exactly how well the books do, they can see the numbers. That may change after Black Adam, but movies don’t always provide much benefit to comic sales. There are exceptions, such as King’s Vision book selling out after Wandavision, but Aquaman didn’t really benefit comic saleswise from his billion dollar movie.
    That Vision book was always popular. It was reprinted as a Director's Cut series, and Viv's been a regular in Champions since that series began just after Vision finished.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman