Page 120 of 233 FirstFirst ... 2070110116117118119120121122123124130170220 ... LastLast
Results 1,786 to 1,800 of 3488

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Oh I get it, such as other people I’m still waiting for a JSA book. . .
    I'm not sure if hell or Apokolips have frozen over yet, and what with global warming, . . .

. . . 3. New Mystery character called X-tract, apparently a multiverse bounty hunter who is hunting those who do not belong on the main earth.
    Marvel hasn't used that name yet? How did they miss it?

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Because you already have a black Mr Miracle. Who has been that since 1991 in Shilo.

We got a Shilo mini and if this was him-that would have been more exposure for Shilo.

It would be like making Peter Parker black and Miles Morales is right there.

So what happens when this book is a top seller and folks go looking for more and see a white Scott Free?

This is not brand expanding-this is doing the same mess that get folks riled up.

This says Dc has NOT learned anything. Same with that Damian book-why can't that be Duke instead of a black Harold?
    I think what this boils down to is they simply wanted Scott's connections and relationships to the prominent New Gods in the story. If it was Shilo, they couldn't have him fall for Barda or be Highfather's son, or be related to Darkseid, or probably the story couldn't even take place on Apokolips in general. It's Elseworlds so they could probably still have all that, but if that was the story they wanted to tell they would've taken everything from Scott and given it to Shilo. Most of the raceswapping is usually done either for the sake of changing a character who has certain level of popularity so they can try to cash in on it by announcing they changed an important character, or as in this case changing a character who offers the kind of lore that other representatives of the same mantle may or may not necessarily have to offer. They usually want to have their cake and eat it too and that has been a reoccurring pattern across the board that this is just another example of.
    Last edited by Johnny; 05-24-2021 at 03:44 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I think what this boils down to is they wanted Scott's connections and relationships to the prominent New Gods in the story. If it was Shilo, they couldn't have him date Barda or be Highfather's son, or be related to Darkseid, or probably the story couldn't take place on Apokolips in general. I know it's Elseworlds so they could probably still have all that, but they would've taken everything from Scott and gave it to Shilo. Most of the raceswapping is usually done either for the sake of changing a character who has certain level of popularity so they can try to cash in on it by announcing they changed an important chracter, or as in this case changing a character who has the kind of lore that other representatives of the same mantle may or may not necessarily have. They usually want to have their cake and eat it too and that has been a reoccurring pattern across the board that this is just another example of.
    This 100%. Most of the interesting things about the Mister Miracle lore are tied to Scott. Which isn't to say Shilo can't be a great character in his own right, but it's clear as day who's historically and narratively more relevant between him and his predecessor. So race changing Scott is basically an admission that conceptually they aren't confident in Shilo being the Mister Miracle. Which makes you wonder why they're even putting effort into Shilo in the first place when, if this series is an indicator of what they're plans for other mediums are, DC probably wants to make Scott black in live action/animation.

So williamson just did a big thread about Infinite Frontier on twitter but his discussion broke down like this.

1. He want's Infinite Frontier to be like 52 and Countdown to Infinite Crisis, a slow character focused series of story that will all connect by the end. A grounded multiverse mystery as he describes
    2. Infinite Frontier is Act One for the big plans being setup next year
    3. New Mystery character called X-tract, apparently a multiverse bounty hunter who is hunting those who do not belong on the main earth.
    4. Secret Files was to get people caught up on characters who people are not aware of or haven't been seen in a while
    proof of the pudding is in the eating, we will see how it works out - till now can't have an opinion still to early for that.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    This 100%. Most of the interesting things about the Mister Miracle lore are tied to Scott. Which isn't to say Shilo can't be a great character in his own right, but it's clear as day who's historically and narratively more relevant between him and his predecessor. So race changing Scott is basically an admission that conceptually they aren't confident in Shilo being the Mister Miracle. Which makes you wonder why they're even putting effort into Shilo in the first place when, if this series is an indicator of what they're plans for other mediums are, DC probably wants to make Scott black in live action/animation.
    Yeah, it's because the comics and outside media, or in this case the YA line, obviously isn't the same thing. When it comes to the main DC continuity, if they don't want a Scott Free book, they can just use Shilo instead and give him his own stories. But if they want a Mister Miracle story that takes advantage of the character's lore and they think that for some reason the original Scott Free isn't marketable enough to new fans, they would just apply the predictable tactic to him instead. Don't get me wrong, to me Mister Miracle isn't the kind of hill worth dying on, but the more they make this kind of decisions even with characters that have little to no mainstream recognition, I think it's just more indication of how creatively bankrupt they appear to be.
    Last edited by Johnny; 05-24-2021 at 03:48 PM.

Was worried about Superman being in a Black Label with Lobo, but seeing the Main Man drinking a cocktail in his swim shorts by the pool puts me more at ease. It’ll be Black Label but hopefully won’t try to be super dark and take itself too seriously.

Incredible Member

So williamson just did a big thread about Infinite Frontier on twitter but his discussion broke down like this.

1. He want's Infinite Frontier to be like 52 and Countdown to Infinite Crisis, a slow character focused series of story that will all connect by the end. A grounded multiverse mystery as he describes
    2. Infinite Frontier is Act One for the big plans being setup next year
    3. New Mystery character called X-tract, apparently a multiverse bounty hunter who is hunting those who do not belong on the main earth.
    4. Secret Files was to get people caught up on characters who people are not aware of or haven't been seen in a while
    So, is this guy going to be the main villain and the one kidnapping JSA members?

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    So, is this guy going to be the main villain and the one kidnapping JSA members?
    Possibly but I’m not exactly sure how it works with characters whose history was changed and became a part of earth 0 and characters history like with Doomsday Clock.

My assumption was Flashpoint Batman.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I think what this boils down to is they simply wanted Scott's connections and relationships to the prominent New Gods in the story. If it was Shilo, they couldn't have him fall for Barda or be Highfather's son, or be related to Darkseid, or probably the story couldn't even take place on Apokolips in general. It's Elseworlds so they could probably still have all that, but if that was the story they wanted to tell they would've taken everything from Scott and gave it to Shilo. Most of the raceswapping is usually done either for the sake of changing a character who has certain level of popularity so they can try to cash in on it by announcing they changed an important character, or as in this case changing a character who offers the kind of lore that other representatives of the same mantle may or may not necessarily have to offer. They usually want to have their cake and eat it too and that has been a reoccurring pattern across the board that this is just another example of.
    Yeah, I think you got it spot on.

I like Shiloh and DC seems to be hyping him...in continuity. I don't know how much of communication goes on between the main-line division of comics and then the graphic novel/YA stuff. My understanding is they're not really coordinated so this strikes me as these creators wanted to tell this story this way. The optics to us may be confusing and contradictory, but separate divisions peddling different products. Yeah DC should have their ish together but like, we know they don't so.

I like the YA line and I’m glad that it seems pretty popular. It’s a great way to get younger readers interested in DC characters. I think Blue Beetle - Jaime Reyes should definitely the next superhero to get a YA story. If WB wants the BB movie to be their “Latino Black Panther” they really need to do a better job of building him up. They can’t rely on Young Justice episodes from 2010 and Batman: BATB episodes from 2008 to sell the movie.

Possibly but I’m not exactly sure how it works with characters whose history was changed and became a part of earth 0 and characters history like with Doomsday Clock.

Mine too. He’d said it was going to be a surprise and I don’t think a new character qualifies.

Incredible Member

Why and how would Flashpoint Batman be kidnapping JSA members? Or do you mean X-tract is targeting Flashpoint Batman?

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Mine too. He’d said it was going to be a surprise and I don’t think a new character qualifies.
    You can only pull so much of a surprise before it becomes nonsensical, and we already have so many potential villains we know of in Infinite Frontier; Psycho Pirate, Darkseid, now "X-tract" and maybe Flashpoint Batman. Plus the possibility that Bones might not be on the up and up.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    Why and how would Flashpoint Batman be kidnapping JSA members? Or do you mean X-tract is targeting Flashpoint Batman?

You can only pull so much of a surprise before it becomes nonsensical, and we already have so many potential villains we know of in Infinite Frontier; Psycho Pirate, Darkseid, now "X-tract" and maybe Flashpoint Batman. Plus the possibility that Bones might not be on the up and up.
    I mean X-tract would target Flashpoint Batman, unlike the JSA who have become an important part of Earth-0’s history this version of Thomas Wayne is very clearly someone not of the main universe.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

I mean X-tract would target Flashpoint Batman, unlike the JSA who have become an important part of Earth-0’s history this version of Thomas Wayne is very clearly someone not of the main universe.
    Ok, that makes more sense.