Page 206 of 233 FirstFirst ... 106156196202203204205206207208209210216 ... LastLast
Results 3,076 to 3,090 of 3488
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Batman/Superman, BatO and Justice League of America beg to differ.
    Batman/Superman is to be relaunched soon*, Orlando's JLoA only lost readers once Bats stopped appearing regularly*, and the last volume of BatO was just... bad.

*These statements have not been verified.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Batman/Superman is to be relaunched soon*, Orlando's JLoA only lost readers once Bats stopped appearing regularly*, and the last volume of BatO was just... bad.

*These statements have not been verified.
    BatO was a mixed bag. I liked the art and stuff with Jeff/Tatsu. Couldn't care less for the rest.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Some more info: Snyder’s pitched book was going to be set during WWII and be about how the JSA came together. Honestly that feels like the best way to bring the JSA back. Give us a book that tells their origin and adventures in the past and then runs until the McCarthy Era where they disband.
    Quote Originally Posted by Veni View Post
    Wonder Woman was a member of the JSA during WWII. It wasn't dropped. Look at the end of Stargirl Special. She is present with the other member of the JSA. There is also the animated Justice Society: World War II movie. This pretty much confirms that they are sticking with her being a JSA member.
    The animated JSA book takes place on another Earth not the “main” one. A version of the Golden Age Superman also joins but I don’t think there are plans for Clark to be incorporated. So don’t take that as a sign they’re sticking with Diana being a JSA member, that feels like a dropped plot line.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Some more info: Snyder’s pitched book was going to be set during WWII and be about how the JSA came together. Honestly that feels like the best way to bring the JSA back. Give us a book that tells their origin and adventures in the past and then runs until the McCarthy Era where they disband.
    I think that's what most people figured.

I'm not sure after his JL if I wanted a Snyder JSA book, but a JSA Year One book would be pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think that's what most people figured.

I'm not sure after his JL if I wanted a Snyder JSA book, but a JSA Year One book would be pretty cool.
    Only if it doesn't drastically change / re-write what was established in the past.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Only if it doesn't drastically change / re-write what was established in the past.
    You can almost guarantee that would be the case. Otherwise why retread the same ground if you're not going to bring something new to it?

There's gotta be a juicy revelation, or an "everything you thought you knew is wrong!" moment...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

You need to let go of the Roy Thomas stuff, dude. Johns is the model to follow currently and his star is fading too. They're just as likely to do something new next time.

If you're only ever going to drag your feet and demand originalism (the 40s) or faux-originalism (Thomas) you're never going to be happy, dude. Things are going to get updated. It won't be the same.
    Last edited by Robanker; 10-20-2021 at 09:36 AM.
    May we never forget:

The idea that a new JSA book must adhere to books decades old is naive. Really doubt a book deeply mired in Thomas continuity would succeed at all. Hell it’s been far too long to even try continuing where Johns JSA left off. You basically have to reintroduce the team to a new Gen of readers and the quickest way to turn people off is when you tell them they have to go read a bunch of old comics to understand what’s going on. See Nick Spencer’s ASM run’s ending for proof of that. Besides you’d hate it anyway Major, it’s new, and you can always reread your old comics. I’m not advocating a full blown reboot like Bendis Legion, but I absolutely don’t think it should be beholden to old books.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    You need to let go of the Roy Thomas stuff, dude. Johns is the model to follow currently and his star is fading too. They're just as likely to do something new next time.

If you're only ever going to drag your feet and demand originalism (the 40s) or faux-originalism (Thomas) you're never going to be happy, dude. Things are going to get updated. It won't be the same.
    Thank you for this, it's been driving me up a wall for years. Regardless, if it isn't a Roy Thomas-adherent (even replica) book MajorHoy will make countless posts saying it isn't the real JSA that will no doubt include his signature tiny print.

I've been banging the drum you are now as long as he's been banging the drum you referred to above. He didn't even believe that the panel in IF featuring The Huntress under the header "Earth 2" was actually The Huntress on the grounds of a coloring error on her forehead, even though her unique costume was exactly the same as the classic.

It's just not worth it anymore and I do my best to ignore it. It doesn't mean I succeed in that because I don't, only that I try to. I posted a few pages back that the fact that Snyder wasn't the only one approached to write a new JSA book was evidence that the new leadership doesn't hate the JSA as so many keep saying and his answer was something like "but that doesn't mean they like them." There is no pleasing him and we'd all be better off to just quit trying.

The problem is if you change the JSA's history too radically, what's even the point of having the "JSA"?

How many people prefer Snyder's Zero Year story for Batman's beginning over, say, Frank Miller's Year One?

How about a first issue where Stargirl (who's already been reintroduced) inducts a new member into the JSA (wouldn't necessarily need to be an entirely new character, just someone who hasn't been in the JSA before), and we see events from that new member's POV as they're introduced to everyone else?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The problem is if you change the JSA's history too radically, what's even the point of having the "JSA"?

How many people prefer Snyder's Zero Year story for Batman's beginning over, say, Frank Miller's Year One?
    Lol, Miller's Batman: Year One was itself a radical change to his original origin story. What's the point of calling it Batman??

I mean, I don't, but you'd probably be surprised.

Actually, there's a poll in the Batman section from a thread that was started back in 2016:

I'm still surprised the last few runs on Batman are well-liked aside from a few isolated stories.
    May we never forget: