Page 33 of 233 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383133 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I'm actually pretty intrigued by this particular book. Martial Arts manga is probably in my top 5/top 3 subgenres, so i'm really curious about the prospect of a martial arts tournament. If these are meant to be the great martial artists in the DCU, I hope Bronze Tiger, Cassandra Cain, and Lady Shiva are involved in some capacity. if done right, this should be pretty epic.

One thing i REALLY don't want to see is Damian crowned as or even alluded to being the best fighter in the DCU universe
    Also very timely with the recent release of Batman: Soul of the Dragon.

Cass isn't participating because she's busy in Gotham and I think they're going to write off Shiva not participating. Otherwise Damian wouldn't stand a chance.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    So what does he think of PUBLIC LIBARIES? The ones that have floppies (yes some do) and trades?

What about Ebay? Where depending on the books-you can bypass the comic book store and get stuff CHEAP.

Or Half Price Books? Where I have seen NEW books that after coming out on Wednesday and some are 1/2 or LOWER the cover price.

Is he going to make sure EVERY comic book store STOCKS a copy of every DC book? Can't buy what is NOT there. And that includes books that Dc will NOT allow comic book stores to reorder.

Is he going to make sure EVERY book has talent and an editor who WANTS to be on those books so we don't get New 52 Static Shock? 1995 Black Lightning?

Is he going to make sure characters in books are NOT one page cameos like Duke Thomas was in Batman?

Is he going to make sure whoever name is on the cover of a book is actual IN the book and being the star instead of stealth solos for someone else like Marvel's Black Panther and his spinoffs have been for 6 years.

Is he going to yell at comixology? Who offers FREE unlimited reads to subscribers?

These have a bigger effect than some pirate site.

Yeah it's EASY to yell at a pirate site. Instead of addressing the COMPANY.

So those sites told Tom King to make that mess known as Heroes in Crisis?
    Those sites told DC to call former Batgirls TOXIC? And erase them from books?
    Those sites are the reason we don't have JSA book?
    Those sites are the reason Far Sector is doing better than Aquaman, Shazam and Supergirl?

Is it them or is it DC?
    Yes, there are underlying issues in the comic book industry that prevent certain titles from doing well.

One of the big ones is that everyone gobbles up Batman books, not the other books, and the wheel that gets the grease will often be the one that makes a sound.

Buying the perceived valuable Batman books or only putting money towards a couple books and then pirating others (which we know happens) does kill books. It just flat-out does. Money talks. Stop trying to divert the conversation from the point being made that piracy hurts the industry and the only books that don't suffer from it are the ones in the top percentage of the market share.

As with all things, there is no one party at fault. Rampant piracy harms other industries too, but the American periodical comic industry (primarily superheroes) is hurting pretty hard. Unlike music, which can still offer the live show, comics just have the same experience you can get on a website or a downloaded PDF. There's not much else they can do other than just really make a good product and hope it has enough value for you to pay. You can argue quality, sure, that's what this board arguably does 95% of the time (and I'm no different) but downplaying piracy is just bullheaded contrarianism at this point. This is something every industry professional addresses. Stop trying to make "comic sales matter" into "all comic problems matter." That's not what's being discussed.

I absolutely agree there are other problems that need to be addressed in the comics world but downplaying piracy because it's not the entire picture doesn't really help at this point. It's just trying to redirect focus so that nothing actually changes since you're left with the hydra that is the current business nightmare that is American comic books.

Yes, DC needs to try and provide the highest quality entertainment for the money invested (both by them and customers) to entice readers to purchase their material. Customers also need to follow through and pay up because if we don't, it stops coming. It's both. You know it's both, and I don't see how it's so outrageous that an employee of a company asks that readers please pay for the copies they're reading. It's literally hurting their livelihood when someone steals these books.
    Last edited by Robanker; 01-29-2021 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Talia being in 2 different titles is exciting, glad to see her character finally having a big role again. One is the totality book, I guess the other could just be Bendis Checkmate storyline?
    I just hope that this Totality and Checmate stuff won't derail Damian's solo. Ideally I'd want everything Infinite related out of it.

Why are we assuming Robin isn't the second title Talia will appear in?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member Light of Justice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Also very timely with the recent release of Batman: Soul of the Dragon.

Cass isn't participating because she's busy in Gotham and I think they're going to write off Shiva not participating. Otherwise Damian wouldn't stand a chance.
    More I hear it, the 'greatest fighter' treatment sounds like fake solicits hype. You know, like Batman Beyond solicits implied that Damian would go berserk on Terry and Tec solicits implied that Damian would try to kill Hush

https://www.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/co...ssmf&context=3

Si Spurrier might have another DC book on the way, if I’m understanding this comment right. Won’t be Hellblazer though.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    https://www.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/co...ssmf&context=3

Si Spurrier might have another DC book on the way, if I’m understanding this comment right. Won’t be Hellblazer though.
    Strange. I has the feelings he leave DC for Marvel for the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dioman-san View Post
    Strange. I has the feelings he leave DC for Marvel for the moment.
    He’s got a Marvel book, but unless Marvel signs him to an exclusive he’s still free to work for both.

Edit: And further down he mentions still being in contact with the BL editors, while being a bit miffed he wasn’t approached to participate in Infinite Frontier, so if he does have something coming it’s a BL book.
    Last edited by Vordan; 01-29-2021 at 03:24 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I don't see how it's so outrageous that an employee of a company asks that readers please pay for the copies they're reading. It's literally hurting their livelihood when someone steals these books.
    He needs to stop blaming ONE thing. Not when there 40 other things that HELP along with his pay check getting affected.

Because they all play a factor in it.

We can shut down all those websites. Guess what Ebay, Amazon, Half Price Books, Comic Cons and the library are still there.

What is he going to CRY about then? Oh the public library took my job because 100 people are reading Batman trades at the library? Instead hunting down a comic book store and each of them buying a copy?

Does not work like that.

Maybe making digital copies HARD to download will help-funny I seen kickstarters do that.

Maybe going AFTER those scanners and making a few examples would help-you don't see Napster running around nor some of online storage sites that some use.

But lets stop whining on Twitter. Fix what can be fixed.

Like all these books like Impulse or Green Lantern Mosaic and MILESTONE that can't get a trade out. Instead of reprinting for the 50th time Batman Hush that has mint copies collecting dust at some stores.

Do what Paramount did with Star Trek before IDW-put every book made on a dvd and sell it for $10-$20. Over 600+ books on a dvd.

Part of the power those sites have is ACCESS of material. Make your stuff affordable and accessible and you kill those sites.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

^ ^ ^

The "He" you're referring to is Andrea Shea, a woman. FYI.

And it was a single tweet addressing piracy. Where has she disregarded all of the 40 other offenders you're listing?
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    I still kinda of disappointment because he did not mention the hint of JSA books or anything about the team other than mention Stargirl and Alan Scott is still not enough to convince that the JSA is still going to return.
    I was encouraged by his comments about some of the characters getting follow-ups in upcoming books but not right away. If those "not right away" projects include Alan Scott, Jade, Obsidian, and Stargirl I remain hopeful of a JSA return or even a JSA ongoing, even if I'm Charlie Brown believing that this is the time that Lucy's not going to pull the football away before I get to kick it.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I was encouraged by his comments about some of the characters getting follow-ups in upcoming books but not right away. If those "not right away" projects include Alan Scott, Jade, Obsidian, and Stargirl I remain hopeful of a JSA return or even a JSA ongoing, even if I'm Charlie Brown believing that this is the time that Lucy's not going to pull the football away before I get to kick it.
    I mean hey I wouldn’t put it past them to do either a surprise announcement after infinite frontier #0 or make it a digital series like Next Batman: Second Son.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    He needs to stop blaming ONE thing. Not when there 40 other things that HELP along with his pay check getting affected.

Because they all play a factor in it.

We can shut down all those websites. Guess what Ebay, Amazon, Half Price Books, Comic Cons and the library are still there.

What is he going to CRY about then? Oh the public library took my job because 100 people are reading Batman trades at the library? Instead hunting down a comic book store and each of them buying a copy?

Does not work like that.

Maybe making digital copies HARD to download will help-funny I seen kickstarters do that.

Maybe going AFTER those scanners and making a few examples would help-you don't see Napster running around nor some of online storage sites that some use.

But lets stop whining on Twitter. Fix what can be fixed.

Like all these books like Impulse or Green Lantern Mosaic and MILESTONE that can't get a trade out. Instead of reprinting for the 50th time Batman Hush that has mint copies collecting dust at some stores.

Do what Paramount did with Star Trek before IDW-put every book made on a dvd and sell it for $10-$20. Over 600+ books on a dvd.

Part of the power those sites have is ACCESS of material. Make your stuff affordable and accessible and you kill those sites.
    He's blaming this one thing because none of the other factors you listed involves theft. I find it interesting that you consider a creator that's complaining of theft to be "CRYING." I mean, you could buy a car and then choose to resell it (a la eBay, 1/2 Price Books, conventions, LCS's, etc.) or you could decide to donate it (a la the library) or I could come to your house and steal it. If I did that I guess you'd be crying if you complained about it. BTW, thanks for the car.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I mean hey I wouldn’t put it past them to do either a surprise announcement after infinite frontier #0 or make it a digital series like Next Batman: Second Son.
    That would be awesome and I don't care if it's digital-only. I just want them to do it so I can read it! That we hadn't seen them in about 10 years is just one more reason to be mad at the New 52.

But the new "it all happened" approach to continuity means that they could appear any time a writer wants to use them, whether they have a dedicated title or not. That hasn't been the case for about 11 years so I say hallelujah to "it all happened."

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Sidebar, "Charlie Brown has kicked the football" is my favorite variation of "I don't believe what I'm seeing."

Otherwise, yeah, as JSA fans we don't have much else to go on than hope.