Page 50 of 53 FirstFirst ... 404647484950515253 LastLast

Thread: The Car Thread

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Or for distracted bozos with earbuds who are paying too much attention to their devices and not enough attention to what's going on around them?
    I've seen those people, and the ones who walk in public and cross streets buried in the phone, texting usually. There's not much you can do about those types except be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Or for distracted bozos with earbuds who are paying too much attention to their devices and not enough attention to what's going on around them?
    At least in the US, if pedestrians get hit then its the driver's fault. Manslaughter at least. So yes, even the bozos who are "hard of hearing" deliberately, or are just dumb. Also crazed homeless who wander into traffic. Also blind, deaf, paraplegic, epileptic seizure people with their heads cut off are protected from mayhem like that!

That choice was made long ago, to be a car culture but have pedestrians get the right-of-way. Exceptions might be for highways, I'm not sure.

In some other countries, its different.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Saw a new Honda HRV and a 2020 Ford Escape side by side. Have no idea why Honda would want a new model to look exactly like a 4 year old Ford?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Saw a new Honda HRV and a 2020 Ford Escape side by side. Have no idea why Honda would want a new model to look exactly like a 4 year old Ford?
    At least no one's copying the old Ford Flex, that thing was ugly. Not as bad as the Tesla Cybertruck or whatever they call it, but bad. Saw myself a few sweet cars the other day, most of which I couldn't definitively ID beyond American, 50s-60s, and lovingly cared for because they were in traffic, but...parked at my local gas station, not a place I'd go with a car like this, was probably the prettiest car I've ever seen. Yes, it was a Ferrari 458 like I guessed, but at first I wasn't really sure because it was a bespoke version with aproximately the entire planet's yearly carbon fiber budget laid down. Black, with custom open wheels that showed the yellow and truly massive Brembos. That is a car I'd put up on my wall, behind glass to keep the dust away, and just look at it. Wish I'd thought to snap a pic, but that thing was truly beautiful. And you could never drive it without an armed guard to protect you from carjackers and keep the commoners away.

Yep, that sort of car, the kind you can admire without liking.

I look at these cars like super models. Incredibly beautiful, but you get the feeling they would be hell to live with.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

I should probably mention that Top Gear is out of production indefinitely due to the severe injuries sustained by one of the current hosts in a crash. And the next episode of Amazon's The Grand Tour is the last. It seems the hosts themselves, or at least Clarkson and May, feel tired and burnt out as hosts of a show like that. Clarkson's Farm, if you care about it, and I don't, is on for another season, evidently it's a lot physically easier to do than The Grand Tour. I must say I'm concerned about Clarkson's health from the last one. He's gotten quite fat and ill looking. I think it's more than time for those shows to end. They were great for a time, but that time is over IMO.

Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

I noticed that the Corvette Z06 looks similar to the Ferrari LaFerrari including the curves, and the unique front headlights. Most likely Chevrolet was inspired by the LaFerrari, however, they made needed changes to avoid getting sued by Ferrari for a copycat design.
    The unique thick-shaped spoiler is a standout detail that a LaFerrari doesn't have.

la-ferrari-62-e1362484555884-625x301.jpg

102922_7b.jpg
    https://noequipmentfitness.com/
    No Equipment Fitness is my Online Fitness website where you can purchase short no equipment workouts.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Can you imagine how much it would cost to insure that monster? Plain and simple, it should never see the light of day on American roads.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Can you imagine how much it would cost to insure that monster? Plain and simple, it should never see the light of day on American roads.
    Just looking at that ugly thing will boil you eyes. Nuke them from orbit, just to be sure.

The Musk Truck also has these bad yoke type steering wheels. Hard to do hand over hand when you need to turn hard.

Also, that very slanted front window will have all sorts of problems with the sun over head. And when you have a parking receipth, you have to crawl up front to put it where it can be seen.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 12-12-2023 at 08:57 AM.

Also, the truck bed. How do you reach over to grab something at the front of the beg? Does it come with a ladder?

And how do you see out of that back window?
    Last edited by Kirby101; 12-12-2023 at 09:05 AM.

Tesla recalls nearly all vehicles on US roads over lack of Autopilot safeguards

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -Tesla is recalling over 2 million vehicles in the U.S. to install new safeguards in its Autopilot advanced driver-assistance system, after a federal safety regulator cited safety concerns.

The largest-ever Tesla recall appears to cover nearly all vehicles on U.S. roads to better ensure drivers pay attention when using the system. Tesla's recall filing said that Autopilot's software system controls "may not be sufficient to prevent driver misuse" and could increase the risk of a crash.
    Musk said they were a year away from self driving 4 years ago.

The 2008 Ford Explorer I had did have a unique feature which is the locks would lock automatically after I drove a short distance.
    No Equipment Fitness is my Online Fitness website where you can purchase short no equipment workouts.

A unique feature of the Ford Bronco I'm driving is it turns off when stopped to save gasoline.