Page 13 of 53 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: The Car Thread

I will not buy this record, it is scratched.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

As far as the hovercraft, looks like death from above to me.

Last edited by Kirby101; 10-28-2021 at 06:45 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    As far as the hovercraft, looks like death from above to me.

It probably is, but by posting this video, you have convinced me, I want one! Even if I wind up being an Imperial Stormtrooper on a speeder bike in Northern California redwood forests. It would be worth it to ride one of those things.

As for Monty Python, you have reminded me of them, thanks! I will order the complete series from Amazon. There is so much great old stuff out there...

Incredible Member

This one looks safer - the pilot is enclosed.

--
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

I would not trust any of those unless they are self piloted and the person is just a passenger.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post

I'll take that one too. Though I'll note the blades are not enclosed like the first one, so this one's a great candidate for showering the pilot with bits 'O birds as the front props mince the birds and send the bits through what appears to be simply a rollcage without a windscreen.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post

I’m guessing the company that built the thing got permission from Hanna-Barbera to use the Jetson name. Interesting though.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

This was posted over in the Batman section of the Forum (as well as my comment):
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Man . . . remember when cars had big-ass interiors like that?

And bench seating, too!
    I think the last car I owned that had bench seating (with the gear selector on the driving column) was a 1976 Plymouth Volaré station wagon that I got off of my parents when they bought a 1983 Datsun Maxima station wagon.
    (At the time I owned a 1974 Chevy Nova, but that kept scrapping the bottom when I pulled it in and out of the driveway so I let my Dad have the Nova to trade-in on the Maxima while I took his Volaré.)

Extraordinary Member

Just saw the Chevy Silverado ZR-2, their premium lux offroad pickup, and I wants one! Also saw the 22 Corvette Z06, which supposedly will go for around 90ish grand, makes 670 HP, the most ever in a naturally aspirated V8. Looks like a cross between Mclarens and certain Ferrari.

I never got the appeal of pick up trucks. If you don't need one for work, what is the point. They are gas guzzlers that are a danger to everyone else on the road.
    The vette however. A near supercar for $90K that tops at 185 mph. That is attractive.

Extraordinary Member

I never got the appeal of pick up trucks. If you don't need one for work, what is the point. They are gas guzzlers that are a danger to everyone else on the road.
    The vette however. A near supercar for $90K that tops at 185 mph. That is attractive.
    Well, there are electrics...and most of them get much better mileage than you'd think, by using fewer cylinders when not under load. Yeah, still not the greatest though. But if you need to carry stuff, or want to go offroad, they make sense. As for dangerous and poor mileage, just look at some of those country sized SUVS. They seem to have worse drivers or worse lines of sight than pickups in my experience. The huge ones, not the crossovers, though many of them have rather poor drivers at least where I am.

Depends on the truck.

I had an old 1983 Datsun King Cab pickup, and since it was more of a compact pickup truck, gas mileage wasn't all that terrible. (I forget what it got, but since it wasn't a heavy-duty vehicle with an 8 cylinder engine, it wasn't a real guzzler.) I didn't need it for work, but it was handy for when a lot of my friends were making frequent moves from one apartment to another, etc. My Dad even borrowed it a couple of times to make dump runs. And since it was a "King Cab" with an extended interior, I could store things inside the cab and even give rides to more than one person (though not necessarily all that comfortable for longer periods of time).

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Well, there are electrics...and most of them get much better mileage than you'd think, by using fewer cylinders when not under load. Yeah, still not the greatest though. But if you need to carry stuff, or want to go offroad, they make sense. As for dangerous and poor mileage, just look at some of those country sized SUVS. They seem to have worse drivers or worse lines of sight than pickups in my experience. The huge ones, not the crossovers, though many of them have rather poor drivers at least where I am.
    You mean the ones that hold 9 people and I never see any with more than just the driver? Yeah, those too.
    As far as trucks, if you need one, fine. I see too many that are obviously not used to haul anything, except the small penis of the driver. And it is a fact that they are making them bigger and more dangerous for other cars on the road. Consumer Reports recently did an article about it.
    I am glad they are moving to electric trucks.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 11-19-2021 at 09:10 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I'm six foot, and I can't see over some of those huge SUV things with names like Incursion, Armada, Sequoia, and of course the ever popular "Get out of my way, peon In a smaller car", and of course "What is that thing under my tires, a Mini or a pedestrian". Also can't see around them on the road. Eesh, those things are dangerous, or at least their drivers are. Expensive too, with the Lincoln Aviator priced at a bottom trim at around $100 grand. Given that Lincoln SUVs tend to break down every six yards, that may be a bit overpriced. Also, those things at that size usually get about the mileage you'd expect.

All true achilles.