Page 49 of 53 FirstFirst ... 39454647484950515253 LastLast

Thread: The Car Thread

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I saw a Ferrari parked on the street in Manhattan the other day, and thought "there's someone with enough money to not worry"
    Maybe they should, about getting jacked. Not going to happen in a beater, but might in a Ferrari.

Extraordinary Member

LAPD have closed the case on actor Alan Ruck's Rivian truck crash. Interestingly, they've basically thrown up their hands and said, "well, if we HAVE to say what it was, we'd say it was that the acceleration of this truck was too much for him." Well, words to that effect. You know, all those posts were I was going on about some rich idiot getting killed by the acceleration of their way too fast car...

But they've ruled out every other cause. He wasn't impaired in any way, nor distracted by anything. He stayed and called 911. There's video of it of course; it's weird, he's just at a stop light, then surges forward into the cross-traffic, just missing other cars until he didn't miss a building. No one was seriously injured here, thankfully, but it might happen as torque and acceleration figures start straining driver's ability to use them. Perhaps makers of things like the Rivian truck, which buyers might not think of as a fast car as they would a hypercar, should have software fixes to limit acceleration?

I agree, the off the charts acceleration of EVs should be restricted by software. They can keep the 2 second 0 to 60 for the supercars. But trucks and sedans do not need that, and they are a danger. I also think all EVs, especially scooters and bikes, need to make noise.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

I agree, the off the charts acceleration of EVs should be restricted by software. They can keep the 2 second 0 to 60 for the supercars. But trucks and sedans do not need that, and they are a danger. I also think all EVs, especially scooters and bikes, need to make noise.
    I was nearly hit walking through a parking lot because the driver didn't see me around a corner, and I didn't hear him. The noise should be easy to add. Two minor fixes that could result in much greater safety.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    The noise should be easy to add.
    Hell, trucks these days are required to have back-up noises, aren't they?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Hell, trucks these days are required to have back-up noises, aren't they?
    I don't know what the exact rule is on that.

Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

Outside the local 24 Hour Fitness I did see a Red Ferrari double parked before I walked into the gym.
    This was before the local 24-Hour Fitness Gym was bought by Genesis Health Club.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon View Post
    Outside the local 24 Hour Fitness I did see a Red Ferrari double parked before I walked into the gym.
    This was before the local 24-Hour Fitness Gym was bought by Genesis Health Club.
    Ah, you see, Ferraris get to double park; it's called "The Ferrari Rule".

No, it's called "entitlement"; or more precisely, "perceived entitlement".

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    No, it's called "entitlement"; or more precisely, "perceived entitlement".
    That, and "t-shirt, but no car" are how you spell "Ferrari".

It's the only time in my life I saw a Ferrari outside that gym.
    Also, I see that the same gym wasn't able to survive shutdowns during Covid 19 because it closed.

I noticed a stunning Red Corvette at an H and H Chevy dealership when I was driving to DJ's Dugout to watch NFL week 11 games yesterday.
    It's a 2000s Corvette that looks inspired by Ferraris because of a similar outside design.

Extraordinary Member

Top Gear has been put on indefinite hiatus after the serious injuries incurred by one of the hosts. It doesn't sound as if it will be back.

Teslas and other EVs are mandated to make noise as they drive down the road, but only at lower speeds. Its a safety mandate for city driving. Thats why you can usually hear a humming when they pass by. However, on highways or at higher speeds the noise is not mandatory and they are silent.

But I agree. They should have to make noise at all times. A lot of noise, enough for someone who is hard of hearing to detect it.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    But I agree. They should have to make noise at all times. A lot of noise, enough for someone who is hard of hearing to detect it.
    Or for distracted bozos with earbuds who are paying too much attention to their devices and not enough attention to what's going on around them?