Page 14 of 54 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: The Car Thread

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Hummer showed off a big ass electric pickup. They even let Joe Biden get behind the wheel of one and smoke the tires. I think the cost is around $110,000.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Hummer showed off a big ass electric pickup. They even let Joe Biden get behind the wheel of one and smoke the tires. I think the cost is around $110,000.
    Is this based on the original chassis, or the H2, or is it all new, just looking like the old ones? In any event, those things are too big for me. So very wide and tall, they barely fit many places. I recall I was in the French Quarter in New Orleans once with my brother for his graduation, and there, in those super narrow alleys, not even one of the main streets was an OG Hummer. We absolutely couldn't figure out how the person got that thing there, and how they were going to get it out. Also, $110 grand for a car that is not that Corvette or something similar....just doesn't float my boat. I'm sure it's fun offroad though.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Interesting stuff. All new then. Still, who are they kidding. That thing has to be able to put down the traction on road to make that 1000 HP do anything other than eat your tires. Too expensive and too much. Do you really need something like this? Does anyone? And does anyone want one enough to pay that much? Not me. I'd get that Vette instead and use the extra money for gas. Also, that thing is going to have some sort of semi or totally off-road tires, which will make the comfort rather not nice.
    Last edited by achilles; 11-19-2021 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Interesting stuff. All new then. Still, who are they kidding. That thing has to be able to put down the traction on road to make that 1000 HP do anything other than eat your tires. Too expensive and too much. Do you really need something like this? Does anyone? And does anyone want one enough to pay that much? Not me. I'd get that Vette instead and use the extra money for gas. Also, that thing is going to have some sort of semi or totally off-road tires, which will make the comfort rather not nice.
    I think this is more a proof of concept. The future is electric cars. And that means pick-ups as well. In 10 years these will be common, and affordable.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I think this is more a proof of concept. The future is electric cars. And that means pick-ups as well. In 10 years these will be common, and affordable.
    But in the meantime, when/where can people charge them? And how much environmental damage will there be from older ways of producing electricity to meet the demands? Texas already showed some of the short-comings with going for wind and solar power to produce electricity without proper backups when that unexpected ice storm hit this past winter (the one that Ted Cruz tried to sneak off to Cancun to avoid the after-effects). The U.S. still has a long way to go to supply the proper support for going more to electric cars and trucks nation-wide.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But in the meantime, when/where can people charge them? And how much environmental damage will there be from older ways of producing electricity to meet the demands? Texas already showed some of the short-comings with going for wind and solar power to produce electricity without proper backups when that unexpected ice storm hit this past winter (the one that Ted Cruz tried to sneak off to Cancun to avoid the after-effects). The U.S. still has a long way to go to supply the proper support for going more to electric cars and trucks nation-wide.
    The BBB bill just passed will start to address that. And the Texas mess had nothing to do with wind and solar. It had to do with the mismanagement of an under regulated energy company. Windmills and Solar work in Canada and Norway.
    We will move toward renewable energy and away from fossil fuels, or we will drown.

Extraordinary Member

Saw something older than a Model T, dont' know what it was, but it was sort of cool. Apart from the old timer driving it though, I don't think many people today could manage it. Those things didn't really start driving like modern cars until sometime in the 1920s I think. Also saw a motorcycle. With glowing, lighted rims. Don't know how they did that, but it seemed to be powered light. Nice.

Extraordinary Member

Saw a car I can't explain, a new Puegeot 208. I can't explain it because it isn't sold in the US, but had CA plates. Someone paid a lot extra to import a not very nice car for which their are numerous alternatives in the price range, mostly better, already available here.

Extraordinary Member

RIP to the legendary Al Unser, dead at 82, of cancer.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mor...ies/ar-AARGtN3

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    RIP to the legendary Al Unser, dead at 82, of cancer.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mor...ies/ar-AARGtN3
    How sad. Didn't brother Bobby pass on earlier in the year?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    How sad. Didn't brother Bobby pass on earlier in the year?
    Yes, he did, sadly.

Extraordinary Member

Congrats to Sir Lewis Hamilton, for being a "Sir" now. And congrats to Max Verstappen, for beating Sir Lewis Hamilton to win the F1 championship.

I want classic cars from before 1973 reinvented as EVs and sold as new.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    I want classic cars from before 1973 reinvented as EVs and sold as new.
    So the body and interior of a classic, but with modern guts? There are some people who can do that. Probably very expensive, though.