Page 33 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: The Car Thread

Extraordinary Member

Saw one of these for the first time, one of 520, first delivered last year, a Lucid Motors Dream Edition car:

Very pretty car in the flesh, better than its picture. Electric of course.

Extraordinary Member

I think this is a terrible idea, subscription fees that recur for features such as heated seats, remote start, and the like. And manufacturers have already had to walk some of this stuff back, like Apple Carplay fees, and Toyota with a remote start features.

I should point out that I also hate remote software updates for cars----they are why the recent recall of Teslas happened, for the headlights....WTF does software have to do with headlights? And does anyone want to pay monthly fees for what had been features you paid for once?
    Last edited by achilles; 11-21-2022 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    . . . I should point out that I also hate remote software updates for cars----they are why the recent recall of Teslas happened, for the headlights....WTF does software have to do with headlights? And does anyone want to pay monthly fees for what had been features you paid for once?
    Hell, I'm not thrilled with cars that no longer use keys for the ignition.

What happens if the fob-thing has a battery problem?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Hell, I'm not thrilled with cars that no longer use keys for the ignition.

What happens if the fob-thing has a battery problem?
    https://bestride.com/news/technology...ment%20battery.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

I'd still be out of luck, since I almost never remember to set such things up in advance.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

You'd think that with today's technology being what it's like, you should get some sort of warning when the juice in a key fob is running low.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

Let's see if this link to an article on Mercedes offering a HP and torque increase for a mere $1200 a year works, the last one I tried didn't post.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mercedes-...170123047.html

Success!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    You'd think that with today's technology being what it's like, you should get some sort of warning when the juice in a key fob is running low.
    You do. I had one on my Honda and it gave me more than enough time to buy a new battery for my fob. It doesn't just go dead.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    You do. I had one on my Honda and it gave me more than enough time to buy a new battery for my fob. It doesn't just go dead.
    Good, but that's one maker. Hopefully the others do or will do so as well. Back to the overall point though, using all that complicated software that both needs and allows updates enables car makers to try this stuff. It's up to consumers to firmly reject it. Also, you know there's going to be a cottage industry of people willing and able to crack that software, so it's possibly not even a viable business model.

One time fees for software upgrades might be more acceptable to people though, as they already pay for hardware upgrades when they buy cars.

Good, but that's one maker. Hopefully the others do or will do so as well. Back to the overall point though, using all that complicated software that both needs and allows updates enables car makers to try this stuff. It's up to consumers to firmly reject it. Also, you know there's going to be a cottage industry of people willing and able to crack that software, so it's possibly not even a viable business model.

One time fees for software upgrades might be more acceptable to people though, as they already pay for hardware upgrades when they buy cars.
    It's every makerthat uses a fob. They ALL have low battery warnings.
    As for the pay for service. Utterly ridiculous.

Extraordinary Member

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/pini...220000192.html

Well, that's a name I'm sure you're all familiar with. Hopefully, The Grand Tour doesn't let Richard Hammond drive THIS one.

It's going to get some drivers killed. I love the looks of these things, but who needs THAT kind of performance?

Boisterously Confused

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/pini...220000192.html

Well, that's a name I'm sure you're all familiar with. Hopefully, The Grand Tour doesn't let Richard Hammond drive THIS one.

It's going to get some drivers killed. I love the looks of these things, but who needs THAT kind of performance?

Yikes! The acceleration alone would be a beast

Boisterously Confused

The 56 Bel Air had a sweet look.

FB_IMG_1669474303537.jpg

I guess the dynamics of an electric engine just make them able to accelerate more quickly than a gas engine. Makes sense, because the cylinders in a gas engine still have to get up to full speed, while an electric can start at full.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    The 56 Bel Air had a sweet look.

FB_IMG_1669474303537.jpg
    They modified the front end.