Page 25 of 53 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: The Car Thread

And there's also the rise of thefts of Kia and Hyundai models blamed in part on a Tik Tok challenge where somebody has posted how easy it is to start the cars without the key?
    (Something about the cars don't have an engine immobilizer device that would require the key to start them? And, of course, if something gets posted on TikTok these days, . . . )

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    . . . As I've pointed out time and again, there just isn't the infrastructure or grid capacity to handle many more electric cars, (and as I've pointed out, Gov. Newsom in CA has begged electric car owners not to charge their cars---an entirely seperate issue to the unfortunate tendency of some electrics to bust into flame if charged, thus making doing so indoors a very bad idea). It should be a mix until and unless we can fix the huge problems facing the large scale deployment of electric cars. . .
    I thought I saw something recently about California having a problem with older solar panels reaching the end of their useful lifespan and needing to be replaced / upgraded, but there's a problem with a lack of proper disposal places in place for getting rid of those outdated older solar panels?

The recently passed climate change bill will help with some of those problems. Also, capitalism, the more electric cars, the more infrastructure for them will be built. We are going through a transitional period from gas to electric, it will take a couple of decades and won't be without bumps in the proverbial road. But it is necessary and will happen.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I thought I saw something recently about California having a problem with older solar panels reaching the end of their useful lifespan and needing to be replaced / upgraded, but there's a problem with a lack of proper disposal places in place for getting rid of those outdated older solar panels?
    Yes, all true.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The recently passed climate change bill will help with some of those problems. Also, capitalism, the more electric cars, the more infrastructure for them will be built. We are going through a transitional period from gas to electric, it will take a couple of decades and won't be without bumps in the proverbial road. But it is necessary and will happen.
    But in the meantime, I'd like a workable solution to high gas prices and other issues. Hybrids are the only one I know of that's ready right now for business.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

And there's also the rise of thefts of Kia and Hyundai models blamed in part on a Tik Tok challenge where somebody has posted how easy it is to start the cars without the key?
    (Something about the cars don't have an engine immobilizer device that would require the key to start them? And, of course, if something gets posted on TikTok these days, . . . )
    Really? I didn’t know about that! And I’ve been thinking about upgrading my current ten year old Hyundai Sonata. Guess I might have to rethink that plan.

Which is why car companies should focus in the interim on hybrids which, in my opinion, could be seen as a bridge from gas to electric.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I agree. There should be interim steps. Renewable energy and public transportation are also part of the solution. If we had listened to Jimmy Carter over 40 years ago, or Al Gore over 20 years ago, we would be in a much better position, but we like to break bad and shoot ourselves, sometimes in the foot, sometimes in a more harmful place. Let's hope we are making enough progress now.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Yes, that's an exciting new feature in those cars. However, now I have the sad duty of reminding you, and everyone else here, to take your Ferrari back to the dealers, they've recalled them all. Yes, every single car they've made since I think 2006. So be sure to see your Italian symbol of a car that NEVER breaks down back to the place you bought it, (after they vetted you to decide whether you're worthy of buying their now recalled car---Jay Leno isn't, evidently).

I just don't know how I'll get along without my Ferrari. I suppose I'll have to switch to the Lambo or the RR Phantom, or maybe the Bugatti. I'll be sure to remind Alfred of that when he brings the car around.

I agree. There should be interim steps. Renewable energy and public transportation are also part of the solution. If we had listened to Jimmy Carter over 40 years ago, or Al Gore over 20 years ago, we would be in a much better position, but we like to break bad and shoot ourselves, sometimes in the foot, sometimes in a more harmful place. Let's hope we are making enough progress now.
    Public transportation makes sense in cities and other areas with a decent population, but how about in places where people are more spread out?

In the town where I live, there are no public buses, and even if there were, I'm not sure how often they'd get used. The only options are a dial-a-ride service (which has to arranged for at least a day in advance) from the town, plus calling for a taxi (from another town) or I guess maybe Uber (I've never used one).

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Yes, that's an exciting new feature in those cars. However, now I have the sad duty of reminding you, and everyone else here, to take your Ferrari back to the dealers, they've recalled them all. Yes, every single car they've made since I think 2006. So be sure to see your Italian symbol of a car that NEVER breaks down back to the place you bought it, (after they vetted you to decide whether you're worthy of buying their now recalled car---Jay Leno isn't, evidently).

I just don't know how I'll get along without my Ferrari. I suppose I'll have to switch to the Lambo or the RR Phantom, or maybe the Bugatti. I'll be sure to remind Alfred of that when he brings the car around.
    Why the recall?

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Why the recall?
    "Ferrari Recalls 24,000 Cars for Potential Brake Failure"
    https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/f...brake-failure/

Public transportation makes sense in cities and other areas with a decent population, but how about in places where people are more spread out?

In the town where I live, there are no public buses, and even if there were, I'm not sure how often they'd get used. The only options are a dial-a-ride service (which has to arranged for at least a day in advance) from the town, plus calling for a taxi (from another town) or I guess maybe Uber (I've never used one).
    There is no one size fits all. But better rail between cities is a start. The urban areas have 80% of the population. So Public transportation is crucial. If the rural areas can move to hybrid and electric. Not to mention wind and solar, that is where we need to go.

Everybody in the country side having 15 mpg pick ups is not where we should be. To be over generalize.

Extraordinary Member

And I'm very put out by that. I shall have to have Jeeves take all my Ferraris back. From now on, it's Lambo or Bugatti for me. I'm sure all of you will be following that advice. Though I must say, going at 190 MPH on the I-10 through downtown I've never felt the need for brakes. Silly things, they should be optional. And on some German cars, I'm sure they are.

Ahh, I see, said the blind man!

There is no one size fits all. But better rail between cities is a start.
    The drawback to rail service is that if there's a problem, the trains can't detour around it.
    And I know there have constantly been problems with rail service in Connecticut and New York with downed lines, downed tree limbs, signal failures, etc.