Page 17 of 53 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: The Car Thread

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Anybody remember Slot Cars, they ran on the electricity from the track. The just need to scale that up.
    Now you got me looking at those on Amazon. I had one of those as a kid and loved it. I used to drool over the even better ones in the toy store window. Think I might get one just for laughs, if I can find a place to put it. The funny thing is that I'd forgotten all about it until that post reminded me, thanks! Nice memories there...

I still think it's more fun than any video racing game. No matter how good the graphics.

Apparently there is an "arms race" for slot cars.

Last edited by Kirby101; 01-16-2022 at 08:24 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I still think it's more fun than any video racing game. No matter how good the graphics.

Well now, that was impressive. That bad boys were a LOT faster than the slot cars I owned as a kid.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

I want that one! Yeah, some of them can handle up to six cars and change lanes, keep track of the leader board, the amount of "gas" in your car's "tank", (they slow down and stop if you don't go to pit lane for example). Amazing stuff I would have killed for as a kid. And now I want one again...maybe with a nice model railroad. And one of those live steam engine that ran on fuel tablets I had as a kid. And that nice big cannon I also had, (well, it weighed a few pounds and shot bang cartridges). Cool stuff.

Extraordinary Member

The Bloodhound is designed to go faster. But so far...

https://www.bloodhoundlsr.com/

The big problems I see are pricing, the MSRP is just way too high for the segment; and features. The interior is a cheap plastic that feels like it will crumble in your hands, it doesn't have Bluetooth, a self driving feature, cruise control, the suspension is made of bricks, the steering is a bit twitchy at high speeds, the rear visibility is terrible unless a motorcyclist comes up from behind you and you gun it, in which case you'll at least be able to see the glow of the burning dentist on his burning Harley. So city driving is a bit difficult. And it is fairly hard to park, so you might have to find the upper deck of the parking structure and hope it's largely empty. Two out of five stars, mostly saved by the brisk 0-60 time.

Honestly, I can't recommend it until they fix up the ride and interior.

But how did it do on the track?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

But how did it do on the track?
    I don't know, strangely, it only had GT mode, not a Track mode. And no launch control either. I suspect a Nissan GTR will smoke it around say Willow Springs.

Extraordinary Member

Sad when institutions die. COVID, eh? Figures. A shame the son couldn't make it work.

Extraordinary Member

Saw a sweet Mclaren 720 in green today. A dachshund could easily leap over it. Or a snake. Also saw a Bentley Bentega, stupid looking thing. And the one that again had me scratching my head, another Peugeot, which isn't officially imported to the US or Canada. It's the second one I've seen recently.

Here's the Mclaren 720s; though the one I saw was a bright, flourescent green.

It is much lower to the ground than this picture seems. I'd say it barely comes up to my waist, and I'm not certain it even manages that. Yours for about $411, 000, depending on options.

This is the best angle to view the Bentley Bentayga from; all others make it look worse.

Last edited by achilles; 01-20-2022 at 07:27 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Almost forgot that I also saw my first Volkswagen id4, their flagship electric SUV. My impressions? Nice looking car but for one thing that's an unfortunate trend in some circles; a squashed roof. Obviously, the anticipated that most VW drivers are drunken sots likely to immediately roll their car over, squashing the roof, so VW thoughtfully pre-squashed the roof so you'd be used to it when the time comes. Of course now you really need those back up cameras since you can't see out the rear windshield, which is the size of a postage stamp.

Here's the cars butt, and you can see what I'm on about. The one I saw was white, which actually worked on this car. Again though, all the usual caveats apply with electric only cars, especially in states other than California, which has the vast majority of the nation's charging infrastructure. But yes, all that aside, I'd happily take one, if I could put up a level three commercial fast charger in my house.

Consumer Reports said the new Tesla S could be a great car, but the "yoke style" steering wheel makes it hard to drive and dangerous when a driver needs to steer hand over hand or one handed turns (like backing up.
    A massive failure of style over function.

Extraordinary Member

Consumer Reports said the new Tesla S could be a great car, but the "yoke style" steering wheel makes it hard to drive and dangerous when a driver needs to steer hand over hand or one handed turns (like backing up.
    A massive failure of style over function.

Of course the other problem with Teslas that would make me not choose them is quality. JD Power and several others rate them as near last among all makers. Principly, it's what you'd expect, software issues, and other high tech problems, but there are also problems with things like panel gaps, welds....that sort of thing which IMO comes from Tesla being more of a high tech company than a car company, if you get what I'm on about. They don't know how to manufacture cars as well as the companies who have done that for decades longer, no surprise. They should have hired manufacturing experts from some of the German or Japanese car makers. Also, I'm not sure how I'd like that Jetsons interior long term. Short term---there's no denying I find it pretty awesome though.

And that overly large media center where all the controls are is a distraction to drivers.

Extraordinary Member

And that overly large media center where all the controls are is a distraction to drivers.
    Presumably, you'll be safely on autopilot when you run over that pedestrian while watching "Finding Nemo" on the screen...and as I wrote that, I just remembered that you can actually do that on some models...that is, the driver can. A software glitch, IIRC.

The Range Rover has a nice solution to that...okay, it's mostly just a gimmick solution in search of a problem, but it allows the front passenger to watch a movie from that screen while the driver is seeing all his usual speed, tach, and other information from the same screen, which depends on the viewing angle.