Page 19 of 54 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: The Car Thread

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I wonder what the over/under will be on crashes? A track that small is just begging for disaster.
    Maybe they'll use go-carts instead. Or do a very, very slow race.

Extraordinary Member

I'm watching this thing, the NASCAR race. It reminded me of the I-10 Northbound through downtown LA, at pretty much any time of day...

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I'm watching this thing, the NASCAR race. It reminded me of the I-10 Northbound through downtown LA, at pretty much any time of day...
    I am watching Olympic Curling, more exciting
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I am watching Olympic Curling, more exciting
    Come on, I think they got up to a massive 15 MPH!

Like watching the parking lot at Trader Joes.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 02-18-2022 at 07:45 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Was behind a mid 70s Ford F150, it was no bigger than my Honda CRV. How things have changed

Extraordinary Member

Was behind a mid 70s Ford F150, it was no bigger than my Honda CRV. How things have changed
    They have indeed. And in these days of $6.00 gas, I'll bet owners of newer F-150s wish they had a much smaller truck with much better mileage, or a diesel.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

1975 F-150:

Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    1975 F-150:

You know, I'd love one of those...

They have indeed. And in these days of $6.00 gas, I'll bet owners of newer F-150s wish they had a much smaller truck with much better mileage, or a diesel.
    Not if they get the F-150e electric truck.

Not if they get the F-150e electric truck.

But then again, how much do they save with electricity costs also shooting up, and how convenient is recharging them on the road?

Electric vehicles are cheaper to run and maintain. It never costs $50 to charge one. The other question is valid until we have a good electric vehicle infrastructure. But considering we have one Party that opposes spending on fixing the roads and bridges we do have, let alone build anything additional, that might not happen for a long time.

Extraordinary Member

Electric vehicles are cheaper to run and maintain. It never costs $50 to charge one. The other question is valid until we have a good electric vehicle infrastructure. But considering we have one Party that opposes spending on fixing the roads and bridges we do have, let alone build anything additional, that might not happen for a long time.
    Yes, they are cheaper, unless it's a Tesla, in which case you'll have to take it in after the weekly recall. Well, they are, right up until you have to replace the batteries. With typical driving patterns, that can work out to about five years of ownership. Then, you blow all the money you saved will all be blown at once, and then some. Those electric trucks are interesting, but even Ford itself acknowledges they're pretty useless for people who need a truck to haul or tow things, or in any rural areas, or indeed outside of California, which has the most charging stations in the nation.

Extraordinary Member

Which leads into another slight problem with EVs. And I suppose it's time to bring up the terrible tragedy at sea, the burning car transport off the coast of Portugal. It's carrying hundreds of VWs, Audis, 1000 Porches, and evidently nearly 200 Bentleys. It is being fueled by....yes, the batteries. Which of course as Richard Hammond found out after crashing a Rimac, continue to burn long after the crash, reigniting after seeming to be out. And of course, water and high voltage don't mix very well.

But the main story is the tragedy!

https://autos.yahoo.com/fire-cargo-s...200800436.html

Which leads into another slight problem with EVs. And I suppose it's time to bring up the terrible tragedy at sea, the burning car transport off the coast of Portugal. It's carrying hundreds of VWs, Audis, 1000 Porches, and evidently nearly 200 Bentleys. It is being fueled by....yes, the batteries. Which of course as Richard Hammond found out after crashing a Rimac, continue to burn long after the crash, reigniting after seeming to be out. And of course, water and high voltage don't mix very well.

But the main story is the tragedy!

https://autos.yahoo.com/fire-cargo-s...200800436.html
    Because we have never had a disaster with other tankers.