Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Car Thread

Concept cars from the 64 World's Fair. I remember them being pretty cool, and they were.

Last edited by Kirby101; 12-29-2020 at 10:22 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

I don't understand why car companies do that; make the coolest concept cars that we all want for auto shows, then never offer them in reality. I'd love to have those cars...

Extraordinary Member

1974 Alfa Romeo Spider:

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I don't understand why car companies do that; make the coolest concept cars that we all want for auto shows, then never offer them in reality. I'd love to have those cars...
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    When in America I rented a Chevrolet Tahoe and a Dodge Ram. It was a dream for me to drive such big cars, but in Europe where I live the thought of buying an American car with 6 meters long and a 5.7 l motorists a bit insane. It cost too much insurance and taxes. But thanks to a new tax policy for pick up trucks (I pay 210 Euro a year taxes) and a good insurance company I bought a Dodge Ram 1500 V8 with a long bed (2020 Version Laramie) in black.

I know every American shrugs their shoulders about that, because cars like this Is common and I have seen so many when I was on vacation, but in my hometown people were gathering around the Ram and still people pointing their fingers when I drive along. I have to answer a lot of questions about the Ram for strangers. Once I parked next to a Porsche, and everybody was watching the Dodge. A Porsche is too common and uninteresting, you wouldn't look twice.

I still don't find a parking space here in the city, its almost impossible, and some streets are so narrow I have to put the mirrors in, but overall its okay. I am a good driver and love that big ************.

Mostly people like the Dodge, but here and there you get a middle finger or a shaking head for it, because in Germany many people want these cars, or any suv like cars gone. My wife got heat from a guy at the gas station why she was driving such a car, that's polluting the environment, stuffs the streets and taking two parking lots, is too loud and yada yada yada....
    I'd love a Ram 4x4 crew cab Laramie trim edition. I can see where they don't make as much sense in Europe, but out here they can be very useful. I still have to get over that Mercedes Benz aren't viewed quite the same in Europe as they are here, (sort of ultimate luxury cars short of a Rolls or Bentley). Kind of funny that way.

Extraordinary Member

These, (Plymouth Superbird (1970)), are probably in general the most expensive of all the old muscle cars AFAIK.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Yep, that's the reality!

These, (Plymouth Superbird (1970)), are probably in general the most expensive of all the old muscle cars AFAIK.

I remember in high school seeing one of those, and we all thought it looked pretty silly. The unadorned ones were cooler.

1970 Roadrunner

Boisterously Confused

As I understand it, most concept cars are completely unfeasible for mass production. Sometimes it's because of the design itself, and sometimes it's because of the factory retooling that would be necessary for production at scale. They usually contain some features that do make it to production models, and they concept car is strictly about drawing buzz and investment.

Extraordinary Member

I remember in high school seeing one of those, and we all thought it looked pretty silly. The unadorned ones were cooler.

1970 Roadrunner
    My parents had a Satellite, basically a budget version of a Roadrunner in the mid 80s. Nice car as I recall, as was their Plymouth Duster. Then they went and got a Chevy Citation..... My vote for worst car ever. The thing literally fell apart. The windshield and other glass delaminated, the headliner came off, it rusted...in a desert environment, which was quite a trick if you ask me, and everything else just broke. Plus, it was ugly.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    As I understand it, most concept cars are completely unfeasible for mass production. Sometimes it's because of the design itself, and sometimes it's because of the factory retooling that would be necessary for production at scale. They usually contain some features that do make it to production models, and they concept car is strictly about drawing buzz and investment.
    Ah, they just like teasing us...

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Toyota just launched the C+pod two-seater electric kei car on Christmas. It was supposed to be launched alongside other personal mobility vehicles during the Tokyo Olympics.

https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/toyota/34464305.html

As I drive myself just 6 km (3.7 mi) to work on one highway where heavy trucks can't go during daytime hours and it's flat and not hilly, this is ideal for me rather than the sedan I use, and turning and parking will be a breeze. It is pricey though, but electricity is reliable where I live.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

The legendary Shelby Cobra.

Astonishing Member

I'd love a Ram 4x4 crew cab Laramie trim edition. I can see where they don't make as much sense in Europe, but out here they can be very useful. I still have to get over that Mercedes Benz aren't viewed quite the same in Europe as they are here, (sort of ultimate luxury cars short of a Rolls or Bentley). Kind of funny that way.
    Oh, they are viewed like that, but a Mercedes is pretty common here. You see them everyday, like you see a pick up in Texas. But if you see an American car, its something special.

Boisterously Confused

The legendary Shelby Cobra.

Man! That bad boy looks like he's approaching Mach 1 even while sitting still. The look of it makes me wish for the days when auto racing was a competition between production models instead of the freak machines on the tracks now.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 12-30-2020 at 09:02 AM.