Page 21 of 53 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: The Car Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    As long as there's not a new variant outbreak . . .
    It feels like Adams is opening things up, no matter what.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Cool, it's in NY in April. I'm going.
    I know I’m going to the show here. Bank on that.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

As promised, I went to the Philadelphia Auto Show yesterday and had a great time. With indoor mask mandates here having been lifted several days earlier, there was a good crowd at the venue in downtown Philly where the event was held. Here's some observations of mine about the show:

1) Several brands, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Jaguar, Porsche, Range Rover, Infiniti, Mazda and Cadillac weren’t there

2) There was a clear and evident emphasis on SUV’s and pickup trucks, the current flavor of the last several years

3) Just about every brand either had an all electric model (in the case of Ford, two) on the floor, or one in the pipeline

Below is the Mustang Mach-E, I sat in one and it wasn't too terribly bad, save for the starting price of $56,000:

If you want to see more pics, check out my Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/My-Philly-P...84287401808851

Thanks for sharing WPP. Loved the pics.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    . . . 2) There was a clear and evident emphasis on SUV’s and pickup trucks, the current flavor of the last several years . . .
    I wonder if people will start regretting the move away from sedans if the price of gasoline stays too high in the near-future?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Thanks for sharing WPP. Loved the pics.
    I’m glad you liked them. I used a Nikon DSLR to take those pics.

I wonder if people will start regretting the move away from sedans if the price of gasoline stays too high in the near-future?
    Probably not, given how gas prices fluctuate wildly. $4.50 today could be $3.50 next week. There’s just no way to predict how prices can and will change.

Extraordinary Member

Well, car production is now being hurt. The Lada, which as you all know is a by-word for quality, has been forced to stop production due to...er. As has Porsche, some middling German car maker from what I hear, much worse than Lada, no doubt, with that typical horrible German quality control and sloppy engineering. That last is because they import a bit over 20% of their wiring harnesses from Ukraine.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Well, car production is now being hurt. The Lada, which as you all know is a by-word for quality, has been forced to stop production due to...er.
    Do they meet the high quality standards of the late, lamented Yugo?

Extraordinary Member

Almost certainly not, though it does take at least three days for them to melt when parked out in the weather, rather than the two I've heard reported. Lada will be missed.

I remember riding in a Yugo once. After that ride ended, I muttered two words to myself….never again.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Funny thing about Yugo. One cold winter when it was blowing and zero degrees, I couldn't get my Chevy started. My neighbor also happened to work at the same place on the same shift (about 6am) and I hitched a ride to work in her Yugo.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    As promised, I went to the Philadelphia Auto Show yesterday and had a great time…

If you want to see more pics, check out my Facebook page:
    Thanks for the pictures! Sidebar: we had the chance to drop by Philadelphia during the '98 family vacation in the US. At one point my uncle drove us (parents, sister and myself) from Detroit to Washington DC, then a few days later to New York. I was his navigator and I saw in the map that that we could take a turnpike to go to Philly instead of straight to NY and I suggested it, wanting to see an important part of the American Revolution. But in the end we went straight to NY.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member

There's a start-up called Sparkcharge that will for a monthly fee come to you at roadside with a portable charger to give you a 50 mile charge when you run out in the middle of Texas Chainsaw Massacre country. That should help a tiny bit with range anxiety for those who subscribe. Assuming no one eats your face in the 2 hours you're going to wait there.

I plan on going to the NY Auto Show on April 20 or 21. Anyone else going?

Extraordinary Member

Somebody has been watching The Empire Strikes back quite a bit, I should think! Good! I want one! Plus whatever Luke was wearing when he rode this. It IS an Imperial speeder bike thing, or about as close as you're going to get.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-60333565

Sign me up for whenever they get it on sale.