Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Car Thread

Volkswagen Beetle
    DeLorean

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Volkswagen Beetle
    DeLorean
    Only if it has a flux capacitor.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Boisterously Confused

I've always had a soft spot for the classic roadsters, like the 1930 Packard Speedster

890751edaa6e6be1759416031a48c673--vintage-classic-cars-vintage-cars.jpg

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I've always had a soft spot for the classic roadsters, like the 1930 Packard Speedster

I'm guessing because it's beautiful?

Extraordinary Member

One of the Kray twin's cars, the Jaguar 420 G:

And another wonderfully evil car, fit for any supervillain, the Hongqi L5:

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I don't know about the most beautiful cars but our family had a 1970s charger. It had a glittery plum paint and smooth black interior. We had a red duster with a white stripe and with a white roof too that also had a sun roof. I think it was a 1980 one. I was a kid then so... They were really cool cars and nice to look at to me. But my father ended up selling them and we ended up with a more family car which was a mid 80s light metalic blue buick skylark with velvety darker blue interior.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 12-31-2020 at 01:12 AM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I've always loved the late 1970's Pontiac Trans Am, complete with the infamous "Screaming Chicken" on the hood!

Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 12-31-2020 at 02:29 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

Here's what most people regard as the car of 2020, such as the year was, the 2020 mid-engined Corvette Stingray:

I've seen it close up in person at a car show last year, and briefly one on the road. It's...interesting. It certainly doesn't scream Corvette...any of the previous models. In fact, it looks to me like what would happen if your average MacLaren got together with say a Ferrari 458 and had a kid; very European supercarish.

Extraordinary Member

Here's the Maclaren P1, which I've been lucky enough to have seen two examples on the road, both stunning. Lucky, because there were like 10 imported into the US. It's about a $2.1 million dollar car.

And here's that Ferrari 458:

See how the Stingray echoes elements of each?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post

I'm guessing because it's beautiful?
    That too, but more than. There was an elegance to them that's bound up in the time they were created.

The thing about the Corvette is, yes it is a plastic piece of shite as the guys on Top Gear would say. On the other hand it is a slick looking supercar for under $100,000 that can go 180 mph. That is a small fraction of the big name supercars. The base price is $60,000, compared to the Ferrari which starts at $250,000. And many of them are $1 million and more.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

The official stats on the 'Vette are 495 HP, 470 foot pounds of torque, 0-60 in a rather astonishing 2.9 seconds, and top speed of 194 MPH. It will very soon be available in the traditional power packages, expect well above 700 HP when those come out.

Oh, and Grand Tour fans can check out the newly released latest episode in Madagascar and somewhere else on Amazon Prime. It's the second episode of season 4, likely the last IMO, given the pandemic and the age of those guys; it can't be easy on them to do those sorts of things.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I've always loved the late 1970's Pontiac Trans Am, complete with the infamous "Screaming Chicken" on the hood!

My aunt's husband had either a firebird/thunderbird or trans am in the 70's and when they were dating he let her drive it just for the experience.

ETA: We have some classic car shows in this area every year. Perhaps I can take pictures.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 12-31-2020 at 02:02 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    My aunt's husband had either a firebird/thunderbird or trans am in the 70's and when they were dating he let her drive it just for the experience.

ETA: We have some classic car shows in this area every year. Perhaps I can take pictures.
    Please do, car shows of any kind are great. Got to sit in several Astons at last years current model show, they were...nice, but cramped. Classic car shows are great because you never know what's going to show up. Well, assuming it's not model specific.

Extraordinary Member

So Aston's gone and done it; made itself an SUV. Has....anyone ever told Aston what its customers actually want?