Page 8 of 53 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: The Car Thread

Extraordinary Member

That last post saddened me enough to forget there is news on new Grand Tour episodes. According to Clarkson, a new Scotland episode is in the can and due for release soon, likely this year, and another one will soon shoot in Wales.....both due to travel restrictions, but after that, Clarkson reckons they'll go back to other areas of the world, assuming travel restrictions are lifted. I know, it seems....petty after that news. I never saw her on the new Top Gear, but I did see her tear a van around the Nurburgring, scaring the hell out of passenger Richard Hammond. And I watched her try to teach the Nurburgring to Clarkson. She seemed very nice, and was an awesome driver

Sunday's episode of Top Gear will be dedicated to her. She suffered from cancer since 2017. All of the Grand Tour and some of the Top Gear eulogized her in tweets.
    Last edited by achilles; 03-17-2021 at 06:43 AM.

It's coming on April and no NY Auto Show for a second year. Have to wait another year for my cool car fix.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    It's coming on April and no NY Auto Show for a second year. Have to wait another year for my cool car fix.
    Looks like the Los Angeles and Anaheim ones are still on, thought LA was moved to November. So...hopefully my own fix will get done this year.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Looks like the Los Angeles and Anaheim ones are still on, thought LA was moved to November. So...hopefully my own fix will get done this year.
    No Auto Show here in Philly this year. There had been talk a few months ago about holding the show OUTSIDE in May or June, but nothing ever materialized, so I'll have to wait for 2022.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I think the last time I went to the New York Auto Show was . . . sometime back in the 1980s or possibly the early 1990s.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I think the last time I went to the New York Auto Show was . . . sometime back in the 1980s or possibly the early 1990s.
    You should go again when you can, it's great! My first time I had no idea they'd let you actually sit in the Astons or other exotics....but some manufacturers do..., not to mention the sweet Alfa Guilia or whatever it's called, sundry Range Rovers, and others. I figured to sit in things like the Ram, (nice, BTW), or the Mustang, (didn't like it as much as the Challenger, I felt....too cramped in the Mustang for some reason, and I actually hated the latest Jag, with my head practically sticking through the roof), but not the exotics. And there's test drives, off road stuff....it's a nice half day or so.

Hey, if we are still around posting the next time the show is here in NY, maybe we could go as a group?

I agree with a lot of what achilles says. You can sit in a lot of high end luxury cars. And even if you can't get into a million dollar super car, there is nothing like seeing them up close in person.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

The NY Auto Show is coming back in August

https://www.autoshowny.com/

Boisterously Confused

The NY Auto Show is coming back in August

https://www.autoshowny.com/

One thing about this pandemic, it's taught us to appreciate some of the small things we've been missing.

I saw one of these in my neighborhood yesterday afternoon. It's the Mach-E all electric Ford Mustang, and, I have to say it's odd as hell, nothing like the old pony car people have grown up with for decades:

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I saw one of these in my neighborhood yesterday afternoon. It's the Mach-E all electric Ford Mustang, and, I have to say it's odd as hell, nothing like the old pony car people have grown up with for decades:

I look at that and can't help but think that it's just not what I consider to be a Mustang.

From what I have heard, the Mustang tag was added to make it a sporty EV. It was never designed to be anything like a Mustang. It was corporate branding as an after thought. I bet the design team didn't like it.
    Still, better than calling it an Electric Pinto.

Not even like the old Mustang II, but maybe a little like the third generation?

From what I have heard, the Mustang tag was added to make it a sporty EV. It was never designed to be anything like a Mustang. It was corporate branding as an after thought. I bet the design team didn't like it.
    Still, better than calling it an Electric Pinto.
    Why not? Calling it the Pinto would've been funny as heck. Meanwhile, an all-electric F-150 truck is on the way. Saw a commercial for that on TV a few minutes ago while eating lunch.

Extraordinary Member

Why not? Calling it the Pinto would've been funny as heck. Meanwhile, an all-electric F-150 truck is on the way. Saw a commercial for that on TV a few minutes ago while eating lunch.
    Didn't think that one through, did they? Most of truly major truck country has few to no charging stations, and that truck has essentially no range, especially once you put any load in the bed or try to tow something.