Page 9 of 54 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: The Car Thread

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I saw one of these in my neighborhood yesterday afternoon. It's the Mach-E all electric Ford Mustang, and, I have to say it's odd as hell, nothing like the old pony car people have grown up with for decades:

I look at that and can't help but think that it's just not what I consider to be a Mustang.
    I kind of like the look of it, but have to agree with achilles: don't look like a mustang.

Didn't think that one through, did they? Most of truly major truck country has few to no charging stations, and that truck has essentially no range, especially once you put any load in the bed or try to tow something.
    The F-150 is a big truck for business that would have their own charging. And a 200+ mile range should suit most owners. Yahoos who buy truck with no need for them will stick with gas until they are forced to go electric.

The President approved of the performance.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The F-150 is a big truck for business that would have their own charging. And a 200+ mile range should suit most owners. Yahoos who buy truck with no need for them will stick with gas until they are forced to go electric.

The President approved of the performance.

Don't get me wrong; that truck would suit me just fine. Okay, it would if my house had an electrical system capable of charging at least a cell phone, which it almost doesn't. Just not going to work in the wilds of Texas land, or say in much of the rural South or Midwest. Fine here on the coast, though. Plus, I'll probably never haul anything heavier than groceries and a couple of people. And the Lightning is just an F-150 like a zillion others out on the road. Most business would be better served by the bigger Fords like the F-250 Heavy Duty or bigger. That, or just a Transit van. Those things are seriously good value, though they are ugly.
    Last edited by achilles; 05-27-2021 at 11:56 AM.

Here in New York, you mostly see vans. Pick ups leave to much stuff exposed on the street. I am sure an electric Transit will be here soon. But the E F-150 is more a proof of concept than a serious contender to the gas truck. It will show the way for working vehicles to be electric.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Incredible Member

I saw one of these on a local street last week. It's an electric three-wheeler with handlebars instead of a steering wheel.

--
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    I saw one of these on a local street last week. It's an electric three-wheeler with handlebars instead of a steering wheel.

Is there any advantage to handlebars over a steering wheel, or is just this "it looks nifty?"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post

Change the fairing, and adjust the riding position, well to a riding position, and you've kind of got a Can Am Spyder. Which is a vehicle I never understood. Also, why that and not say a Smart or even a Fiat 500. Those things are tiny---about that size, and completely out of the weather, and would work anywhere that thing can.

Edit: I looked this thing up, and it's interesting. It's electric. All of their models. This one seems to start at $25,000. I can't help but think that's a pretty good chunk of a used Smart or one of the other cars that size. And while not electric, they get crazy good gas mileage.
    Last edited by achilles; 05-27-2021 at 01:28 PM.

. . . I can't help but think that's a pretty good chunk of a used Smart or one of the other cars that size. And while not electric, they get crazy good gas mileage.
    And I can't help thinking that if you take one of "Smart Cars" on any roads / highways where 18-wheelers are driving at a good clip, you're just asking for trouble!

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I kind of like the look of it, but have to agree with achilles: don't look like a mustang.
    Actually, it kind of reminds me of how Mustangs looked in the 80's and 90's, before they changed the look to more reflect the Mustangs of the 60's and 70's.

Change the fairing, and adjust the riding position, well to a riding position, and you've kind of got a Can Am Spyder. Which is a vehicle I never understood. Also, why that and not say a Smart or even a Fiat 500. Those things are tiny---about that size, and completely out of the weather, and would work anywhere that thing can.

Edit: I looked this thing up, and it's interesting. It's electric. All of their models. This one seems to start at $25,000. I can't help but think that's a pretty good chunk of a used Smart or one of the other cars that size. And while not electric, they get crazy good gas mileage.
    So does my Chevy Spark, and it comes with 4 doors.

Only has electric locks on the driver's door and hatchback, though...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And I can't help thinking that if you take one of "Smart Cars" on any roads / highways where 18-wheelers are driving at a good clip, you're just asking for trouble!
    No, you're asking to die. I would only ever use something like that in the inner city of whichever European cities haven't yet blocked that bit off to traffic.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Actually, it kind of reminds me of how Mustangs looked in the 80's and 90's, before they changed the look to more reflect the Mustangs of the 60's and 70's.
    I prefer to forget those existed. Straight from 60s to the current design for me.

Incredible Member

re: Arcimoto

The base price is currently $17,900; depending on options (like doors, which are available) that goes up to around $20,000. When they ramp up manufacturing, they plan to get the base price down to $12,000.
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

I prefer to forget those existed. Straight from 60s to the current design for me.
    Back when I was in high school, one of my sisters use to have a Mustang II with a hatchback. It was a fun little car.

Extraordinary Member

Jeep of course has done up one of its Rubicon Wranglers with a 392 cubic inch developing some 470 hp and ft pounds of torque. We know a few things about it without even looking at it. First, it's probably going to be a hit of sorts; it will attract a certain type I'm thinking. The second thing we know is that it will be totally ridiculous, and not in a good way. It will get around 12-16 mpg, which is way too few to be practical, it will be horrible on the road, and it will break down often. Also, that engine should be more powerful for that size. Damn, if that's all they wanted to do, I would have used an AMG engine instead. It would weigh less for more power. And it would be reliable. Evidently, this version is LESS capable off road than ones with the lesser engines. Mostly because they sacrificed the ultra-low range rock crawling gearing in favor of...ugh...full time AWD.

Oh...it's north of $70 grand. I don't know if Jeep does what the German companies do---charge you thousand beyond the base price for optional extras like wheels, and engine, brakes, and air con for cars sold in Arizona. If they do, that price could add up very quickly.