Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default WB To Release 4 DC Movies A Year In Theaters And 2 On HBO Max

Here are some links if you want to read more on it

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/27/b...es-movies.html

https://collider.com/dc-movies-theat...ng%20in%202022.

https://www.***************.com/dc-t...movies-2020-12

In a new report in the New York Times about DC Films executive Walter Hamada, it’s revealed that Warner Bros. plans to release up to four DC movies in theaters a year starting in 2022. The report discusses the 2021 HBO Max strategy and stresses that the studio’s most expensive superhero movies are being saved for big theatrical releases, but that doesn’t mean they’re abandoning HBO Max entirely. The goal is to also release two DC movies directly to HBO Max per year, with the NY Times speculating these might be focused on “riskier” characters.

As for which DC movies will be released in 2022, The Batman is slated for release in March of that year, The Flash is set to (finally) premiere in November, and Aquaman 2 is planned to arrive in December. What could that fourth movie be? Shazam! 2 is currently set to be released in June 2023, but I imagine Warner Bros. is waiting to see how quickly production can ramp up on Flash, Aquaman 2, Shazam! 2, and Black Adam to see if they want to shuffle their 2022 calendar around a bit. The Dwayne Johnson-fronted Black Adam was originally supposed to start filming this summer but was interrupted by COVID, and is now eyeing a Q1 2021 production start.
    My quick thoughts

- It doesn't make sense in the fact that many DC movies aren't generally well-received but with exception of Justice League(and Green Lantern way back) most DC movies haven't been box office bombs so it makes sense business-wise they still feel confident about releasing 4 movies.

-4 Movies feel like a bit much to me, I am doubting the four theatrical movies a year is going to work but it is going to be interesting how fast the plan adjust, I am betting HBO max is going to get more stuff in the long run.

- CW era is over, I mean the shows were already coming to a close but there is no way they want this level of production and don't tightly control its characters. Don't expect long runs for the remaining stuff

In order to give this anything like actual serious thought?...

I'd have to buy that it was something that was actually more solid than "Wishful Thinking..."

Right now?

I tend not to buy into that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post

I'd have to buy that it was something that was actually more solid than "Wishful Thinking..."

Right now?

they are taking their moves from Max Lord.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post

My quick thoughts

- It doesn't make sense in the fact that many DC movies aren't generally well-received but with exception of Justice League(and Green Lantern way back) most DC movies haven't been box office bombs so it makes sense business-wise they still feel confident about releasing 4 movies.

-4 Movies feel like a bit much to me, I am doubting the four theatrical movies a year is going to work but it is going to be interesting how fast the plan adjust, I am betting HBO max is going to get more stuff in the long run.

- CW era is over, I mean the shows were already coming to a close but there is no way they want this level of production and don't tightly control its characters. Don't expect long runs for the remaining stuff
    They need to get Shazam 2 out as soon as they can, before the kids age out of the roles.

I'm not sure the CW era is quite over yet. Yes, we've lost Arrow, and both Supergirl and Black Lightning are ending after this season. But we've also got Stargirl, Superman and Lois, as well the new Wonder Girl show, along with Legends and The Flash. The big question mark will be how the new Batwoman is received- will it keep it's audience and draw in new fans, or will it bleed viewership until they cancel it? But still, they do have a healthy lineup to carry them through a few years.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    They need to get Shazam 2 out as soon as they can, before the kids age out of the roles.
    Pretty sure the kids can be recast without effort.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post

Right now?

It is not wishful thinking it is business, Basically Marvel movie slate is the Popeyes chicken sandwich, and what that means is when that sandwich blew up you don't think every fast food restaurant of similar sizes like Wendys and McDonalds was going hey we can do that. This is the same thing WB knows it has the resources and IP to do the same exact thing as Marvel. It is just a matter if they can make a good chicken sandwich. They got investors and higher up going why can't that be us and they got a couple of recent big success in Joker and Aquaman that has increased their confidence.

I'm not sure the CW era is quite over yet. Yes, we've lost Arrow, and both Supergirl and Black Lightning are ending after this season. But we've also got Stargirl, Superman and Lois, as well the new Wonder Girl show, along with Legends and The Flash. The big question mark will be how the new Batwoman is received- will it keep it's audience and draw in new fans, or will it bleed viewership until they cancel it? But still, they do have a healthy lineup to carry them through a few years.
    The only thing that has guarantee longevity is the Superman show and that is because they don't have clue what to do with supes on the big screen, Everything else can eat axe quick for the sake of some new project on HBO max and the big screen. Basically, look at it this way why would they put out a Wonder Woman show on CW when they can put out a Wonder Woman show on HBOmax?

It is similar to Marvel and Netflix without the hostility unless DC embraces fully the multiverse concept I can't see the CW stuff last long. Flash and Legends is about done, Batwoman and Stargirl aren't real strong shows. I think having a place where you can exclusively see DC content is going to win out.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 12-28-2020 at 06:15 PM.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

They seriously need to get HBO sorted internationally before they can do this, otherwise it will be a big screw you to international audiences if they can’t see Batgirl legally in their country. Plus they can’t even be certain with stuff now staying around, let alone this. Why even do a Green Lantern series without Hal, John or Kyle if you could just do a exclusive movie with them instead?

Also that Trench project is definitely spinning out of Aquaman 2 here as a horror mini series.

It is not wishful thinking it is business, Basically Marvel movie slate is Popeyes chicken sandwich, and what that means is when that sandwich blew up you don't think every fast food restaurant of similar size like Wendys and McDonalds was going hey we can do that. This is the same thing WB knows it has the resources and IP to do the same exact thing as Marvel. It is just a matter if they can make a good chicken sandwich. They got investors and higher up going why can't that be us and they got a couple of recent big success in Joker and Aquaman that has increased their confidence.
    Politely, that feels like a bit of a stretch.

I haven't really come across anything that makes me even get close to believing that what he said is even remotely solid.

That they might believe that they can?

That's got nothing to do with being in an actual position to do so.

To me, the IDEA is great. The more comic book movies, the better. That goes not just for DC, but Marvel, Archie, Harvey, Valiant, Dark Horse, etc. etc. However, Warners doesn't have a great track record in terms of bringing everything to fruition everything they announce regarding DC.

I know some CBMs can be pretty divisive, but that comes with the territory when there's a passionate fanbase involved. Glad to see we're not scaring Hollywood off with our craziness.

I like the idea of developing MOVIES for HBO Max, not just streaming series like Disney+ is doing for Marvel. Yes, I want series on HBO Max, also, but I like the idea of mid-budget movies developed for the streaming platforms.

Not everything can support a $200 million dollar budget with the hope of making a billion dollars -- especially at DC where the results will ALWAYS be unpredictable given how Warner as a studio gives more latitude to its filmmakers than Disney does.

However, the HBO Max deal allows properties that are more niche in nature to get developed.

What are some niche properties that could work great on HBO Max? Let's see...

How about:

- Challengers of the Unknown
    - Sea Devils
    - Metamorpho
    - Green Arrow and Black Canary (although this has theatrical potential if cast right and with the right director/vision)
    - Hawk and Dove
    - Shade, the Changing Man
    - Checkmate
    - Batgirl (maybe theatrical)
    - Nightwing (maybe theatrical)
    - Starman (Prince Gavyn - the Jack Knight version should be a series)
    - Blue Beetle
    - The Question (maybe a series with a season long conspiracy arc that he unravels)
    - Booster Gold
    - Vixen (maybe theatrical)

really, the possibilities are endless as DC has such a deep bench of cool B & C listers. I just hope that if the HBO Max stuff turns out to be successful, they might do 4 of THOSE a year. The stakes are lower, and we could get a lot of interesting and even idiosyncratic projects made.

Incredible Member

This is actually smart. The perception of these films not being received well at all is false, the reality is they have not been received well in comparison to Marvel, those are two different things.

I would argue that after Marvel, DC films have grossed probably second most in terms of franchise and property over the past decade. This means they are making quite a bit of money from DC films. If I recall correctly, DC content does extremely well in dvd and bluray sales considering the climate

One thing that I would like to know is what their churn rate of DC fans, I bet its not high. The general audience is fluid which is fine generally and companies still market to get as much as possible but for HBO Max or any streaming service, you want the loyal customers and try to convert general audience to permanent or more consistent customers. I think if we were able to get the DC Universe numbers that probably would give a good indication on how many consistent customers were subscribed and probably bring a bit more visability to their current subscriber base.

But unfortunately HBO Max is badly mismanaged. They need to realize what they are and who their true competitors are and stop chasing rainbows. Disney is not a comparable competitor for them or anyone imo. Disney is a family child friendly app, ask most parents and they'll tell you that they only have it for their kids and its nice to turn it on and know that it's safe content. Hulu and YouTube Tv, not really comparable because of the live tv aspect. Netflix, apple tv, prime, and peacock are competitors. Outside of Netflix (due to longevity) how bad are HBO Max numbers in comparison? Not too bad but they want to move too fast.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 12-28-2020 at 07:07 PM.

Ever since Aquaman, I don't hear major criticisms of DC movies. I hear mostly about MoS, B v S and JL. Ironically, they get complained about far more than DC movies that made far less money.

My quick thoughts

Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    This is actually smart. The perception of these films not being received well at all is false, the reality is they have not been received well in comparison to Marvel, those are two different things.
    It is fair to say they(a lot) haven't been well received and it is fair to say they(some) have underperformed but it also fair to say they haven't been bombs. Wonder Woman 1 is the only film from DCEU that has been well received and perform well at box office. Suicide Squad, BvS, Harley Quinn, Man of Steel weren't well-received but they did good or adequate at the box office, Shazam was well received but wasn't a box office Juggernaut. Joker performed well at the box office and crazy as this sound wasn't completely well received. Aquaman performed well at Box office but again was completely well received. Justice League was just a nightmare.

There is nothing false, You don't change your plans like how DC did if things were being well-received, Obviously, if these films are producing financially then it is the reception that is the issue. Again the only film that is clear financial loss is Justice League, one bad movie wouldn't have made them panic. There is no reason to take offense to this I can say the last trilogy of Star Wars films wasn't well-received those effers made 2 billion,1 billion, and 1 billion.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 12-28-2020 at 08:30 PM.

Retired

I think they've come close to releasing four movies in the space of a year, a few times, but because of delays it didn't work out. However, if you figure on two to three movies that are loosely connected (like BIRDS OF PREY and SUICIDE SQUAD) and one to two outsider movies (like JOKER)--then it's very possible. And, of course, if an outsider movie hits big (like JOKER) then it could spawn its own mini franchise.

It is not wishful thinking it is business, Basically Marvel movie slate is the Popeyes chicken sandwich, and what that means is when that sandwich blew up you don't think every fast food restaurant of similar sizes like Wendys and McDonalds was going hey we can do that. This is the same thing WB knows it has the resources and IP to do the same exact thing as Marvel. It is just a matter if they can make a good chicken sandwich. They got investors and higher up going why can't that be us and they got a couple of recent big success in Joker and Aquaman that has increased their confidence.

The only thing that has guarantee longevity is the Superman show and that is because they don't have clue what to do with supes on the big screen, Everything else can eat axe quick for the sake of some new project on HBO max and the big screen. Basically, look at it this way why would they put out a Wonder Woman show on CW when they can put out a Wonder Woman show on HBOmax?

It is similar to Marvel and Netflix without the hostility unless DC embraces fully the multiverse concept I can't see the CW stuff last long. Flash and Legends is about done, Batwoman and Stargirl aren't real strong shows. I think having a place where you can exclusively see DC content is going to win out.
    Um.... Ezra Miller's Flash cameoed in Crisis on Infinite Earths, right next to Grant Gustin's Flash, a cameo that was asked for by the studio at the 11th hour. There are now two Bruce Wayne's on TV (ok, one of them is really Tommy Elliot, but you get my point), and there will be THREE different Batmen on the big screen in the next few years. Themyscira has already been mentioned and briefly seen in Legends of Tomorrow, and they got a Wonder Girl show in the works based off the new character that's going to be Wonder Woman in the comics. Hell, Even Ryan Wilder is going to be the new Batwoman in both the comics and TV show. Meanwhile over in Marvel, while the TV side desperately tried to include the movies in their universe, the movies never once mentioned anything from the TV side (until now, when both Movie and TV are under the same umbrella finally).

The point is, DC has been embracing the multiverse, both on TV and now in the films. Flash will go at least two more seasons and Stargirl is coming off of a pretty good first season and is building their fanbase. Batwoman right now is a huge question mark, and I'll give you that Legends is on it's last legs (and I've heard rumors that it will be ending after Season 6). I can't say anything about Superman and Lois- on one hand, that should work. On the other hand, it's already sounding like Superman and Lois will be supporting characters in a show about their kids and those kid's love triangle with Lana Lang's daughter, or some such nonsense. The point being they're falling firmly into the pattern of EVERY DC CW show, which makes me wary (god help them if they try that **** with Wonder Girl). But at the very least, it looks like we're getting a few more years out of the Arrowverse.

Um.... Ezra Miller's Flash cameoed in Crisis on Infinite Earths, right next to Grant Gustin's Flash, a cameo that was asked for by the studio at the 11th hour. There are now two Bruce Wayne's on TV (ok, one of them is really Tommy Elliot, but you get my point), and there will be THREE different Batmen on the big screen in the next few years. Themyscira has already been mentioned and briefly seen in Legends of Tomorrow, and they got a Wonder Girl show in the works based off the new character that's going to be Wonder Woman in the comics. Hell, Even Ryan Wilder is going to be the new Batwoman in both the comics and TV show. Meanwhile over in Marvel, while the TV side desperately tried to include the movies in their universe, the movies never once mentioned anything from the TV side (until now, when both Movie and TV are under the same umbrella finally).

The point is, DC has been embracing the multiverse, both on TV and now in the films. Flash will go at least two more seasons and Stargirl is coming off of a pretty good first season and is building their fanbase. Batwoman right now is a huge question mark, and I'll give you that Legends is on it's last legs (and I've heard rumors that it will be ending after Season 6). I can't say anything about Superman and Lois- on one hand, that should work. On the other hand, it's already sounding like Superman and Lois will be supporting characters in a show about their kids and those kid's love triangle with Lana Lang's daughter, or some such nonsense. The point being they're falling firmly into the pattern of EVERY DC CW show, which makes me wary (god help them if they try that **** with Wonder Girl). But at the very least, it looks like we're getting a few more years out of the Arrowverse.
    That hasn't actually been confirmed, she just randomly popped up in the last issue of Batgirl's comic.