Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Default (SPOILER) Cheetah in WW84, could she return??

Was it geoff? Was it Patty? Why was Cheetah thrown under the bus like that in her debut film? She is Diana's most well known foe. She already has to deal with bad writing in the comics. And now this carried into the silver screen. Who was the one that decided it was a good look for WW, to have her biggest name villain treated as almost total fodder? All while a guy that isn't even a WW foe got the center of the stage. Could we hope for Cheetah to redeem herself. Or is this character doomed to be treated like this forever? Please Gods help us. Whi is it so hard these days to portray WW and her vilains as powerhouses?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    Was it geoff? Was it Patty? Why was Cheetah thrown under the bus like that in her debut film? She is Diana's most well known foe. She already has to deal with bad writing in the comics. And now this carried into the silver screen. Who was the one that decided it was a good look for WW, to have her biggest name villain treated as almost total fodder? All while a guy that isn't even a WW foe got the center of the stage. Could we hope for Cheetah to redeem herself. Or is this character doomed to be treated like this forever? Please Gods help us. Whi is it so hard these days to portray WW and her vilains as powerhouses?
    I think it was Patty, but this will be more forgivable if this was intended to be her origin movie instead of a one and done. Patty's been hinting that Barbara's story isn't over.

https://www.republicworld.com/entert...y-jenkins.html

I'd be a lot more pissed if her being Max's glorified bodyguard was intended to be the beginning and end of her story, but it doesn't seem the case. If the trilogy is planned to have her play a part in the third chapter and part 2 was just the setup, I will be more forgiving. Because I loved Wiig's performance for what she was given and she has the potential to do more. So I want Patty's broad story to play out, but maybe some other input on the action scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think it was Patty, but this will be more forgivable if this was intended to be her origin movie instead of a one and done. Patty's been hinting that Barbara's story isn't over.

I'd be a lot more pissed if her being Max's glorified bodyguard was intended to be the beginning and end of her story, but it doesn't seem the case. If the trilogy is planned to have her play a part in the third chapter and part 2 was just the setup, I will be more forgiving. Because I loved Wiig's performance for what she was given and she has the potential to do more. So I want Patty's broad story to play out, but maybe some other input on the action scenes.
    She was Max's bodyguard in the sense that he was giving her the thing she desired and in order to keep what she desired she had to protect him. But she wasn't a servant to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    She was Max's bodyguard in the sense that he was giving her the thing she desired and in order to keep what she desired she had to protect him. But she wasn't a servant to him.
    She's not subservient to him, but she gets her power from him and doesn't have a plot of her own.

Which again, will be fine for this movie as long as she's a recurring foe going forward, which has a distinct possibility now.

She's not subservient to him, but she gets her power from him and doesn't have a plot of her own.

Which again, will be fine for this movie as long as she's a recurring foe going forward, which has a distinct possibility now.
    Doesn't have a plot of her own? That's one of the best things about the film. The film is about one thing and it keeps the focus of the story fully on that theme. She is still a character with complete agency and she is developed as much as the rest of the character (although I think no character was well written in the first act)
    Last edited by Alpha; 12-28-2020 at 07:39 PM.

Like it or not us WW fans are stuck with Max in the WW villain gallery. He was actually likeable in WW84, more akin to his original portrayal in JLI.

Cheetah didn't get her power from Max, she got it from the source the same way he did. And she totally did have a plot of her own it just wasn't the central one.

She was far more powerful than she is in the comics. Wonder Woman was losing even with the golden armor until Cheetah got electrocuted.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Cheetah didn't get her power from Max, she got it from the source the same way he did. And she totally did have a plot of her own it just wasn't the central one.

She was far more powerful than she is in the comics. Wonder Woman was losing even with the golden armor until Cheetah got electrocuted.
    True, on both accounts

I'm sorry but that is not true. WW was on deffensive mode the whole time and still wasable to restrain her. And going down by getting electrocuted is anything but powerful.

Her mutant cat form was 100% the result of Max giving it to her, that was the more powerful form for the climax.

She wasn't the central antagonist, which I repeat will not be the end of the world as long as she shows up again in WW3. But one of Diana's arch enemies playing second fiddle to a non-WW baddie in a movie is far from ideal if this is where her story ends.

I can see her return being similar to how she returned in War of the Gods. In that story, Diana had already defeated Cheetah and she was in human form and locked in Arkham Asylum. She still had the Cheetah spirit within her but was unable to become Cheetah because she couldn't preform the ritual necessary to become Cheetah. Circe sneaks Barbara a potion that makes her permanently transform into Cheetah, but it comes at the cost of being a servant to Circe, which Cheetah was not pleased with at all. Cheetah ends up betraying Circe and helping Wonder Woman.

The situation that Barbra was in at the end of WW84 already lines up in certain aspects. She became Cheetah because of a boost in "rage and prowess" that Max gave to her from other people. I think her first wish did most of the heavy lifting for the transformation and the "rage and prowess" just got her over the finish line. She could still have the Cheetah powers but they are just dormant for now and she needs some help activating them again like in War of the Gods. In WW3, I could see her making a deal with Circe but Circe lies about certain aspects of the deal causing Cheetah to ultimately betray her. Or maybe she just needs to be angry enough to turn into Cheetah, I don't know, the movie doesn't explain it very well.

If Cheetah is going to be in WW3 and the rumors are true that Circe will be the main villain, I have no doubt she will play more of an anti-hero roll and help Diana out. Cheetah and Circe working together would make quick work of Diana honestly.

I really feel like you are over reacting. You had certain expectations for what she should be like, doesn't mean she was treated badly. Max Lord was the central villain for two reasons, first because thes tory Patty had in mind made more sense with him as the enemy that precipitates the conflict, second, because Barbara was treated at first like an ally and later on as a sympathetic opponent. She was more and more acitng out of her own self interest and became the person that directly parallaled Diana's journey. Barbara, even as a villain, had more scenes as an opponent to Diana than Max did, so she was the most direct embodiment of what Diana was pleading against.

I really feel like you are over reacting. You had certain expectations for what she should be like, doesn't mean she was treated badly. Max Lord was the central villain for two reasons, first because thes tory Patty had in mind made more sense with him as the enemy that precipitates the conflict, second, because Barbara was treated at first like an ally and later on as a sympathetic opponent. She was more and more acitng out of her own self interest and became the person that directly parallaled Diana's journey. Barbara, even as a villain, had more scenes as an opponent to Diana than Max did, so she was the most direct embodiment of what Diana was pleading against.
    Diana even while holding back was able to contain her. And just some electricity and water was enough to take Cheetah out. So yes, pretty fooder treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    Diana even while holding back was able to contain her. And just some electricity and water was enough to take Cheetah out. So yes, pretty fooder treatment.
    Thank god we didn't have one of those drawn out fight scenes. DCEU and MCU have been plagued by this.

Thank god we didn't have one of those drawn out fight scenes. DCEU and MCU have been plagued by this.
    WW still hasn't had a proper battle moment in dcu that shows her power in a big way. And character that is ww's most known foe, supposed to be powerful enough to face ww went down because of some electrocution. This is beyond tragic.