Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Anyone agree or disagree that there too much Diana Prince and less Wonder Woman in the movie?

Was the golden armor really needed to battle Cheetah?

Quote Originally Posted by Zahina View Post
    Anyone agree or disagree that there too much Diana Prince and less Wonder Woman in the movie?

Was the golden armor really needed to battle Cheetah?
    The golden armor was random and had no story relevance. Especially considering how uninteresting that last fight turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

I never complained about the action. It was just fine. The script offers certain challenges, since for a lot of the movie Diana is not on her game--that's part of the story. So that means there can't be a No-Man's Land scene at the middle of the movie--the heroic Wonder Woman action has to happen at the beginning and end of the movie. So if the first movie went up a mountain and climbed down the other side, the second movie goes down a valley and arrives at the crest of a hill.
    Pretty much agree with this. The action was different intentionally for storytelling purposes. This was not a war movie. There is action, but it’s not violent action. When people say it was dull I interpret that as “Diana didn’t hit enough people.”

The imaginative use of the lasso and other strategies Diana employed were exciting to me.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Action doesn't just mean hitting people. Even just moments that drove the story forward or actually revealed something that felt new would have been nice. The plane is the only thing that comes close for a whole hour and even that was fairly tame.

Too much of the film is Lord descending further into madness making a hundred wishes, and Diana trying to figure out a mystery the audience already knows the answer to. It's not compelling or engaging.

I don't know how you arrive at the conclusion that Patty cannot do action. The Themysciran Games sequence, the mall sequence, the carvan chase sequence, and the White House battle were all very strong action sequences. The only sequence that was weak/awkward was the part of the Cheetah battle where they are oddly flailing aboush the power lines. Which scenes were bad for you from the perspective of direction?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I don't know how you arrive at the conclusion that Patty cannot do action. The Themysciran Games sequence, the mall sequence, the carvan chase sequence, and the White House battle were all very strong action sequences. The only sequence that was weak/awkward was the part of the Cheetah battle where they are oddly flailing aboush the power lines. Which scenes were bad for you from the perspective of direction?
    Is this question for me or someone else?

I think Jenkins can direct action well. I started the thread to find out if people who think she didn’t deliver with WW84 felt the same way about the first movie, and if not, why.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Does Patty direct all of the action sequences, or is it a second unit director or assistant director in tandem with the action designer and stunt coordinator/team handling all of it? From what I understand in most blockbuster films it's usually the latter. Unless you're Christopher Nolan.

That aside, I always thought the first film had good action, but it wasn't exceptional. I never liked the use of slow motion in the film, especially in regards to when decided to use it and how much was used. Lots of moments felt lacking in impact because of these choices, which was obviously not the desired effect. The action in the sequel is definitely meant to be campier on purpose and that's not something I think I liked, but I guess it's a preference thing. It still had some of the problems the first film had in that regard.

My biggest gripe with the film is by far the final confrontation with Cheetah though. Now I'm no Wonder Woman expert or whatever, but IIRC Cheetah is a speedster, right? The moment I saw the obstacle course sequence in the film I thought to myself Right, surely there will be some kind of chase sequence with Diana and Cheetah. But nope, there wasn't, and Cheetah felt more like Big Cat Lady than anything else. Was pretty disappointed by that personally.

Retired

I really can't comment on C.G.I. until I get a chance to see the movie on a big screen (maybe in IMAX). With a computer screen, I have no way of knowing. But also even when I see movies on the big screen--most of the time I'm not seeing what's so bad with the C.G.I. that everyone complains about. To me this is just an easy target for critics--rather than analyzing the movie as a work of cinema--they can just say the C.G.I. is bad and who can say they're wrong--maybe they have powers of observation far beyond those of mortal beings.

But I was glad that this part of the movie was relatively short. An animated sequence is not a real life scene--so I don't feel as involved with those parts of any movie. I would rather see fights with the actors and with their stunt doubles. If they had just had Barbara wear a cat suit, like Priscilla Rich or Deborah Domaine, I would have been perfectly happy. I didn't need for her to transform into an animal. Animal Man and Vixen don't change into animals when they use their animal powers. I feel like the C.G.I. scene was just thrown in there because the producers knew some fans were going to expect it.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Theo View Post
    Magic lasso or not, it requires special SKILLED handling, not like an amateurish cartoon. There were SOME great shots, but glowing disco light ruined it for me. Golden not GLOWING.
    LOL ^^^ So you want a modern multimillion dollar movie about Wonder Woman to give her a rope covered with some golden glitter like the ridiculous string they gave Lynda Carter in the TV show?
    I was ecstatic when I watched the first film because her lasso glowed like it was supposed to glow. It glowed just like a lasso powered by the hearth of the goddess Hestia should.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    My biggest gripe with the film is by far the final confrontation with Cheetah though. Now I'm no Wonder Woman expert or whatever, but IIRC Cheetah is a speedster, right? The moment I saw the obstacle course sequence in the film I thought to myself Right, surely there will be some kind of chase sequence with Diana and Cheetah. But nope, there wasn't, and Cheetah felt more like Big Cat Lady than anything else. Was pretty disappointed by that personally.
    Remember when that behind the scenes cellphone footage from the movie was released that showed Diana strapped on to some sort of contraption that made her look like she was running on air, running real fast? I was convinced that it was for a chase scene in which Diana was running after Cheetah. The thought made me happy because I thought that thanks to including Cheetah, the filmmakers were going to clearly showcase Diana's own super speed. But alas, that scene was not a chase scene (it ended up being Diana running real fast after letting go of Steve and just before she flies for the first time.
    Last edited by FutureWonder; 12-31-2020 at 02:36 PM.

Retired

I like that when it's not in use, the lariat is just a rope hanging from her belt, but when she employs it then it glows.

"There's a love-knot in my lariat . . ." (by Canada's own Wilf Carter, one of my dear old Dad's favourites from days gone by--sniff ).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Yup. And they are wrong
    I disagree, the action itself was fine, but this film had baffling plot choices and too much meandering.

Fantastic Member

[QUOTE=FutureWonder;5304361]LOL ^^^ So you want a modern multimillion dollar movie about Wonder Woman to give her a rope covered with some golden glitter like the ridiculous string they gave Lynda Carter in the TV show?
    I was ecstatic when I watched the first film because her lasso glowed like it was supposed to glow. It glowed just like a lasso powered by the hearth of the goddess Hestia should.

No, I want something that is Golden with a bit of glam but not disco neon lights. I will bet my life on it WW action scenes and actin scenes aitno going to be garnering awards. The mere fact that the reviews are so heavily divided says a lot as it is.

Amazing Member

I did not think the action in the first WW film was particularly good. There was too much usage of slow motion and other than the scenes on Themyscira, you never saw any skilled fighting. The No Man's Land scene was powerful, less because of the actual action and more for what it represented. There is nothing wrong with that btw and Patty did a great job there.

WW84 was worse. The final fight with Cheetah was laughably bad and I did not dislike the movie nearly as much as some people. The mall scene was nothing spectacular, just more of her knee sliding into people. The caravan chase seen was fine, but not spectacular. The plot point of her losing her powers was not done well because her power levels kept fluctuating. At the end when she should have been back to full strength, we didn't see her do anything really remarkable. The golden armor was a total letdown, given how easily Cheetah tore through it.

My biggest issue with the fights in WW are that they do not showcase her skill. Whether she is being the aggressor or protecting others, it should be apparent that she has mastered dozens of forms of armed and unarmed combat. Gal and the stunt team hasn't brought that to any of the fight scenes in either movie really. I appreciated the way Diana was protecting others during the White House fight, but it came across a little comical.

WW's fight scenes should lie somewhere between the Batman warehouse fight in BvS (much less brutal of course) and Superman vs Faora in MoS. In other words, she should clearly be superpowered, but also show a lot of fighting skill. A fight against a superpowered foe should really showcase this. Seeing her fend of more dudes with guns is a bit of a letdown.

Again, I enjoyed the film overall. It was pretty average to me and no worse than any of the recent Marvel movies I watched or Aquaman. The performances in WW84 really saved it for me.

Amazing Member

[QUOTE=Titan Theo;5304931]
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    LOL ^^^ So you want a modern multimillion dollar movie about Wonder Woman to give her a rope covered with some golden glitter like the ridiculous string they gave Lynda Carter in the TV show?

No, I want something that is Golden with a bit of glam but not disco neon lights. I will bet my life on it WW action scenes and actin scenes aitno going to be garnering awards. The mere fact that the reviews are so heavily divided says a lot as it is.
    I rather like the glow. I just wish the lasso was used less comically. The animated films tend to showcase it well.

Fantastic Member

The animation fight scenes with WW far outclasses I've seen in both PJ's movies, and to think they have such talented people in DC working for them who can direct these fight choreographies and yet come up with average fight scenes for DC's ultimate warrior is really sad...