Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default [SPOILERS] If You Think Jenkins Doesn’t Do Action Very Well...

...Whom do you credit for the action in Wonder Woman 2017? Or did you find the action lacking in that movie also?

Anyone want to share their thoughts?
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

It's hard to give a single person blame in a community driven product like a major motion picture, but SOME wires must keep getting crossed for DC films, because the quality of action scenes + CGI is so inconsistent. The first WW was mostly fine except for the 3rd act, but 84 had no good action scenes because the wires were obvious and/or the CGI was janky. It was also generally uninspired.

Uninspired? I was overjoyed by how she used the lasso in the film (with one minor exception). This was the best used of Wonder Woman in action yet because she really felt like Diana, instead of the generic way they used her in Justice League and BVS. Even the first film felt like it didn't really give her a unique identity as Wonder Woman in action. I liked how she used the shield, but then again, that's not really a Wonder Woman thing. The most egregious example is when she jumped into a building and smacked people around. That's not what WW should be. I hope they start using her like they did in this film

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Uninspired? I was overjoyed by how she used the lasso in the film (with one minor exception). This was the best used of Wonder Woman in action yet because she really felt like Diana, instead of the generic way they used her in Justice League and BVS. Even the first film felt like it didn't really give her a unique identity as Wonder Woman in action. I liked how she used the shield, but then again, that's not really a Wonder Woman thing. The most egregious example is when she jumped into a building and smacked people around. That's not what WW should be. I hope they start using her like they did in this film
    Real WW is also supposed to have great physical power you know. It is very possible to have great and powerful action moments without turning her into a generic warrior that only cares about fighting. I have seen comic Duana be both a diplomat and a powerhouse at the same time. So i do not see a reason why both sides can not be shownon film.

Practically every person that has seen the film has complained about the lack of and uninspired action in the film.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

I agree, but someone in a review video said Wonder Woman played defense too much and I agree with that too. As for the action except for the shoddy cgi rescue of the kids it was great, but there probably was too little of it. A whole hour between action scenes is too long for a comic book movie, despite how good it was.

Hell I was won over by the flying, the tiara toss, the lasso tricks and especially when she used the lasso to flick the bullet away from Steve. The open was better than anything in the first film, but my favorite depiction of the Amazons is still the one from Justice League. That rugby scene was truly awe inspiring.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 12-28-2020 at 10:15 PM.

Astonishing Member

The pacing and the action scenes are better in the first film. WW84 doesn't have its own "No Man's Land" scene.

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Practically every person that has seen the film has complained about the lack of and uninspired action in the film.
    Yup. And they are wrong

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

They had a different stunt coordinator for the first film, I believe they used one of Snyders go to's. That is the difference. Patty basically used brand new everyone for this film.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I agree, but someone in a review video said Wonder Woman played defense too much and I agree with that too. As for the action except for the shoddy cgi rescue of the kids it was great, but there probably was too little of it. A whole hour between action scenes is too long for a comic book movie, despite how good it was.

Hell I was won over by the flying, the tiara toss, the lasso tricks and especially when she used the lasso to flick the bullet away from Steve. The open was better than anything in the first film, but my favorite depiction of the Amazons is still the one from Justice League. That rugby scene was truly awe inspiring.
    She 100% used defensive mode to often in this film. Everything she did was to not cause harm to someone and it was overblown.

Fantastic Member

WW 1 action scenes were good, but NOT exceptional. I honestly don't think you need a Patty Jenkins to deliver that choreography, although I do credit her for the pacing of the fight scenes, and again, to those who think WW used her lasso well in both movies, I really have to disagree. It was almost comical to me, even worse in the 2nd movie. The amazons doing some lasso tricks on the beginning of the 2nd movie showed a lot more that WW's use in the entire movie, and the over glowing noodle is way OTT. She does not even hold the base of the lasso properly, and not stylish at all.

As for the Cheetah action scene, nothing unique either except for her running. Give this movie to DC animation choreographers and you'll see a REAL choreography fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Theo View Post
    WW 1 action scenes were good, but NOT exceptional. I honestly don't think you need a Patty Jenkins to deliver that choreography, although I do credit her for the pacing of the fight scenes, and again, to those who think WW used her lasso well in both movies, I really have to disagree. It was almost comical to me, even worse in the 2nd movie. The amazons doing some lasso tricks on the beginning of the 2nd movie showed a lot more that WW's use in the entire movie, and the over glowing noodle is way OTT. She does not even hold the base of the lasso properly, and not stylish at all.

As for the Cheetah action scene, nothing unique either except for her running. Give this movie to DC animation choreographers and you'll see a REAL choreography fight.
    This is a magic lasso in a super hero film. It should have all the use it had in this film. The sole exception being what it did during the flight sequence.

I have no idea what you meant by "The amazons doing some lasso tricks on the beginning of the 2nd movie showed a lot more that WW's use in the entire movie". It's not even debateable that Diana showed off it's variety and usefullness a lot more.

Fantastic Member

Magic lasso or not, it requires special SKILLED handling, not like an amateurish cartoon. There were SOME great shots, but glowing disco light ruined it for me. Golden not GLOWING.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Yup. And they are wrong
    No they aren't. Action scenes look uninterested and with inconsistent CGI.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Well that's obviously an overstatement, since it's near impossible to track that and to prove it one way or another.

I think, unless a director is a Chad Stahelski, once a stunt coordinator becomes involved that puts the director at one remove from controlling the production. Add in computer graphics, that's even less in the hands of the director and relies on the post-production graphics team.

So if Jenkins wanted more control--then she was probably better off having less fights that involved complex choreography and graphics. It's a good thing that we see more of Barbara as a physical human being, rather than a cat, because directing people is in Patty's wheelhouse.

I never complained about the action. It was just fine. The script offers certain challenges, since for a lot of the movie Diana is not on her game--that's part of the story. So that means there can't be a No-Man's Land scene at the middle of the movie--the heroic Wonder Woman action has to happen at the beginning and end of the movie. So if the first movie went up a mountain and climbed down the other side, the second movie goes down a valley and arrives at the crest of a hill.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    No they aren't. Action scenes look uninterested and with inconsistent CGI.
    No they don't. I mean clearly they were to you, but not to me. I loved the truck scene, the mall scene, the entire white house sequence. All these scenes showed Diana doing things in ways no other super hero could've. It was awesome. Although I didn't love the cheetah scene, I still thought it was fine