Page 31 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 465 of 822
  1. #451
    Invincible Jersey Girl Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    26,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    She would find the store was a liquor "party store", manned by an old man. Glancing up from his magazine, he gave a small cackle, "Shit, you must be desperate with a line like that. Yeah I got some, what type you looking for?"



    "What type and what temperature?" The barkeep was a stoic looking man whose features wouldn't be out of place in a biker gang.



    Within the first ring, Jinny found herself listening to an automated message, "Thank you for calling the Plains County Human Resources line. Due to heavy call traffic, the current wait time is [45 minutes]..."
    Hanging up the phone, she held it in such a way as to be studying it. She then dialed another number, a number that began with the area code 212. After a few rings, a male voice answered, "It's your dime."

    "Brian, it's Jinny. I need a favor."

    "Hey, Jinny, you know you still owe me for the last one." The tone of his voice was teasing, "What is it this time?"

    "Brian, I'm going to read you off a phone number. I need you to call it and stay on the line until you get some info, then call me back. Oh, and if you are feeling especially frisky, feel free to dig a little deeper."

    "What's going on?" Now sounding a little concerned.

    "I'll explain later. Right now I'm in a small town in Texas called Driftwood. Check the news and any other sources you can, perhaps you can fill me in on what's going on."

    "Sure, it's not like I have a job or anything."

    "I'm sure Greg will understand."

    "Okay, ready."

    Jinny then read off the phone number to her friend.

    After that, she gave him a warning, "Watch your back, online and off."

    "You too."

    With that they hung up and she placed her phone back in her bag and went back to the receptionist.

    "Sorry to bother you, but is there anyway to know how long it will be before I can see a doctor?"
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.

  2. #452
    The Tentacle God Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dead City of R'lyeh
    Posts
    20,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    "What type and what temperature?" The barkeep was a stoic looking man whose features wouldn't be out of place in a biker gang.
    "Medium rare, prefer a steak but I'm not picky: meat is meat. Whisky if you got it, too." Vivian said, before asking. "It safe to smoke in here, or I gotta go outside?"
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

    Arxiros "Arx" Inosaan | Inanna

  3. #453
    This Isn't Home Yun Lao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    Sandra sighed as she pulled her wallet out. "I had a fucking shitty day, so yeah, I'm desperate. Three packs of Miburo, mild."
    "You can say that again. Fucking mad man ran through town in a tour bus. Shit was wild," Grabbing the packs off the wall, he placed them on the counter, "That'll be $19.73."

    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    "Medium rare, prefer a steak but I'm not picky: meat is meat. Whisky if you got it, too." Vivian said, before asking. "It safe to smoke in here, or I gotta go outside?"
    "You're the only customer right now, so feel free to smoke," With that said, the barkeep poured her a glass of whisky before stepping into the back.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    With that they hung up and she placed her phone back in her bag and went back to the receptionist.

    "Sorry to bother you, but is there anyway to know how long it will be before I can see a doctor?"
    "I'm afraid I can't say," The receptionist replied, "As you can see, we're a bit stretched thin. We'll try to get to you as soon as we can, dear."

  4. #454
    Invincible Jersey Girl Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    26,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    "You can say that again. Fucking mad man ran through town in a tour bus. Shit was wild," Grabbing the packs off the wall, he placed them on the counter, "That'll be $19.73."



    "You're the only customer right now, so feel free to smoke," With that said, the barkeep poured her a glass of whisky before stepping into the back.



    "I'm afraid I can't say," The receptionist replied, "As you can see, we're a bit stretched thin. We'll try to get to you as soon as we can, dear."
    "I came here with a friend, Boris. Anyway I can find out how he is doing?"
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.

  5. #455
    The Tentacle God Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dead City of R'lyeh
    Posts
    20,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    "You're the only customer right now, so feel free to smoke," With that said, the barkeep poured her a glass of whisky before stepping into the back.
    Walls were a bit crusty, seats smelled like old ass on a hot day... but she could smoke, and there was meat and booze. "Heaven, or close enough..." Vivian muttered, before snapping her finger several times, to produce a spark enough to light her Miburoô Brand cigarettes. She preferred her handrolled, but Miburoô Brand cigarettes were the next best thing.

    "Ah..."

    Last thing she did before pulling the brim of her hat down over her eyes to doze and smoke, until the meat came, was make sure to pull out some cash and set it on the bar counter.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

    Arxiros "Arx" Inosaan | Inanna

  6. #456
    Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Earthrealm
    Posts
    15,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    "You can say that again. Fucking mad man ran through town in a tour bus. Shit was wild," Grabbing the packs off the wall, he placed them on the counter, "That'll be $19.73."
    She pulled out a crisp 20 and handed it to him. "Was anyone hurt?" she asked as she pocketed the packs in one of her jacket's inner pockets.

  7. #457
    This Isn't Home Yun Lao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    "I came here with a friend, Boris. Anyway I can find out how he is doing?"
    "I'll see if I can get an update for you, dear. In the meanwhile, there's some tea and coffee over there at that counter if you'd like some."

    Although she didn't outright say it, it was clear that the receptionist was trying to keep Jinny from holding up the small line that was forming behind her.

  8. #458
    This Isn't Home Yun Lao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    She pulled out a crisp 20 and handed it to him. "Was anyone hurt?" she asked as she pocketed the packs in one of her jacket's inner pockets.
    He gestured outside, "It'd be a miracle if no one died from that. Hospital's full last time I've heard, but the police have been acting shady... well, shadier than usual."

  9. #459
    Retired Overlord
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    [Driftwood]

    It had been difficult to get a grasp on just how dangerous Toby Keith's driving had been within that tour bus, but upon taking to the streets of the town, one could start to get a feel for it. Power poles and street signs had knocked off and the wreckage of other vehicles had been cleared aside for the time being, with handfuls of people taking pictures or searching the twisted mounds of metal and plastic for something. Local shop owners stood outside their establishments, some conversing with others while some helped customers navigate inside buildings without power.

    Needless to say, any transactions made in Driftwood right now would have to be cash only.
    After exiting the building following her heart to heart with Suzie, Lucy put off reporting to the diner right away....instead opting to explore the town a little and look for something she could do to earn some quick pocket change...maybe enough to afford something to eat.

    A new bag of jerky would be nice.

    In any event, there was a lot of damage...which made it rather simple to pitch in here and there with assisting others, in sorting the debris, helping find items buried, getting a cat out of a tree. All the while the small solider kept an ear to the ground as she worked.

  10. #460
    Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Earthrealm
    Posts
    15,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    He gestured outside, "It'd be a miracle if no one died from that. Hospital's full last time I've heard, but the police have been acting shady... well, shadier than usual."
    Shit. Figures that asshole couldn't avoid getting people caught up. "Shit, that's a real shame."

    It seemed the police couldn't keep the fact that they were being forced to seal their lips about the entire affair a secret. People were suspicious, or at least this old man was. If he was, then other people were too. She knew that this so-called Speedwagon Foundation had something to do with it, whatever that was. Maybe I can get some answers out of these people.

    "Think they're hiding something about all this?" She looked around, as if making sure no one else was listening. Then, she leaned in and kept her voice low, "Like a for real cover-up?"

  11. #461
    So very happy! The Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Darkest recesses of my mind
    Posts
    3,402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    [Driftwood]

    It had been difficult to get a grasp on just how dangerous Toby Keith's driving had been within that tour bus, but upon taking to the streets of the town, one could start to get a feel for it. Power poles and street signs had knocked off and the wreckage of other vehicles had been cleared aside for the time being, with handfuls of people taking pictures or searching the twisted mounds of metal and plastic for something. Local shop owners stood outside their establishments, some conversing with others while some helped customers navigate inside buildings without power.

    Needless to say, any transactions made in Driftwood right now would have to be cash only.
    Jamie looked around at the damage done by Toby Keith's maniac drive through the town, a small frown crossing her face at the sight. 'How could he do something like that, harming all these innocent people pointlessly?' Jamie wondered mentally, shaking her head sadly.

    Sighing, she looked for a proper store to either buy a pre-made first-aid kit, or items to make one herself. Maybe they'd have shirts, a self-defense item, and rope as well. But she wasn't going to get her hopes up in regards to that.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

  12. #462
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    "I'll see if I can get an update for you, dear. In the meanwhile, there's some tea and coffee over there at that counter if you'd like some."

    Although she didn't outright say it, it was clear that the receptionist was trying to keep Jinny from holding up the small line that was forming behind her.
    John, having turned his own paperwork in earlier, was already partaking.

  13. #463
    Astonishing Member KingofPie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    "It's a loan, though there is no rush to pay me back." Jinny gave him a sly smile before boarding the ambulance heading to the Medical Center.
    "..." Miguel raised an eyebrow and decided to move on. He was aware of where the diner was so that'd be his first stop. After that he figured, perhaps, it'd be better to get the lay of the land...what was left of it anyway. After all, depending on how long the hospital visit was, all of them could be there for at least an hour. Might as well find some entertainment. But first...some grub.

    Then there was the other thought coursing through his head. If that reporter was right and misfortune befell the inheritors to the Joestar fortune...was that insane bus ride just the start? Perhaps those three maniacs were the ones offing everybody and that was the end of it, but if this was part of a larger scheme...


    Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    [Cattail Grill]

    With its logo being a modern-looking wooden sign depicting a cattail reed and a branding iron, one would expect the restaurant to be a modern-day steakhouse, but instead, they would find that the building was a refurbished hole in the wall bar. Stepping in, the dimness of the interior seemed to suck away at the sunlight itself, and while it might have lacked in curb appeal, it did definitely help with air conditioning. The host's podium was a simple blackboard sandwich board sign that said to seat yourself, from which the visitors could take a seat at the rustic-looking bar, or false leather table booths.
    "Place could use a couple more lights," Miguel whistled as he walked in. Didn't matter much so long as the food was good, he supposed. "Buenas!" he greeted raising a hand to the proprietor, before taking a seat, next to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Walls were a bit crusty, seats smelled like old ass on a hot day... but she could smoke, and there was meat and booze. "Heaven, or close enough..." Vivian muttered, before snapping her finger several times, to produce a spark enough to light her Miburo™ Brand cigarettes. She preferred her handrolled, but Miburo™ Brand cigarettes were the next best thing.

    "Ah..."

    Last thing she did before pulling the brim of her hat down over her eyes to doze and smoke, until the meat came, was make sure to pull out some cash and set it on the bar counter.
    "You and food are just inseparable, huh?" he asked his sibling as he pulled over a menu. With 20, he couldn't get something too heavy but there was always something delicious on the cheap. "Lemme get a Monte Cristo, por fa!" he informed the barkeep, pulling out the twenty Jinny had lent him.

  14. #464
    Invincible Jersey Girl Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    26,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    "I'll see if I can get an update for you, dear. In the meanwhile, there's some tea and coffee over there at that counter if you'd like some."

    Although she didn't outright say it, it was clear that the receptionist was trying to keep Jinny from holding up the small line that was forming behind her.
    "Thank you." She then stepped off to the side the let the next person in line go ahead of her.

    Walking back, she noticed a random pile of magazines on a small table. Moving some around from one side to another, she pulled out a wear-worn December issue of Entertainment Monthly. Placing it on the top of the pile, she used her good hand to flip through the pages, her body tensed slightly as she did. She had already read this issue once before, and she knew what she was looking for.

    Sure enough, there it was on page 24. A picture of her mother, and Jinny standing next to her. It was from several years back, the Tony Awards. One of the few times she had accompanied her mother, mostly because her mother had been nominated for one.

    Below the picture was a headline, "Broadway morns the death of one of their own."

    Closing up the issue, she walks over to the place where the Waiting Room meets the hallway into the hospital. Looking down the hallway, she watches the medical professionals moving patients around and dealing with other issues.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn or imaginatively created.

  15. #465
    The Tentacle God Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dead City of R'lyeh
    Posts
    20,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KingofPie View Post
    "..." Miguel raised an eyebrow and decided to move on. He was aware of where the diner was so that'd be his first stop. After that he figured, perhaps, it'd be better to get the lay of the land...what was left of it anyway. After all, depending on how long the hospital visit was, all of them could be there for at least an hour. Might as well find some entertainment. But first...some grub.

    Then there was the other thought coursing through his head. If that reporter was right and misfortune befell the inheritors to the Joestar fortune...was that insane bus ride just the start? Perhaps those three maniacs were the ones offing everybody and that was the end of it, but if this was part of a larger scheme...




    "Place could use a couple more lights," Miguel whistled as he walked in. Didn't matter much so long as the food was good, he supposed. "Buenas!" he greeted raising a hand to the proprietor, before taking a seat, next to...



    "You and food are just inseparable, huh?" he asked his sibling as he pulled over a menu. With 20, he couldn't get something too heavy but there was always something delicious on the cheap. "Lemme get a Monte Cristo, por fa!" he informed the barkeep, pulling out the twenty Jinny had lent him.
    Vivian seemed tobe ignoring him for the moment... until a single finger pushed up the brim of her big hat and a smoky eye regarded him coldly. "This here bar ain't big 'nuff fur th' two'vus." Came the ominous rumble, before the soft cackle set in. "Heh... always wanted to say that."

    She'd be surprised if this bar knew what a Monte Cristo was but hey, Magician could dream. As for that other thing.

    "Takes a lot out of me, Witchcraft. Requires energy; which means food."
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

    Arxiros "Arx" Inosaan | Inanna

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •