Page 2 of 87 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 1291
  1. #16
    This Isn't Home Yun Lao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bruceleegreyhulk View Post
    Boris looks at the main cashier." Yes, I would like a glass of ice tea, thank you," Boris said.
    "There's some bottled tea in the cases nearby. If you want the homemade stuff, you'll hafta wait for Nancy to get back."

  2. #17
    The Tentacle God Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dead City of R'lyeh
    Posts
    20,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    "You'll have to wait for Nancy to get back from her break. She's really the only one qualified to cook anything here," The cashier stated, deciding he was going to ignore the fact he thought he saw a lit cigarette in her mouth.
    The woman nodded.

    "Just so long as Nancy understands I want all of the eggs and bacon. I'll even pay up front."
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

    Arxiros "Arx" Inosaan | Inanna

  3. #18
    Invincible Jersey Girl Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    27,497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    Lenny squinted a bit, and one could see the older man's mind at work as he tried to decipher her words, "All right then, keep your secrets," He concluded, "We can't offer much, but I hope you enjoy your time here."



    "Oh! You must be related to Mr. Joestar!" Carla began, the older lady's eyes lighting up excitement, "Leave her be Carla," Lenny retorted, "You can't be scaring away visitors with your incessant need to fuel your gossip." "Don't you be tellin' me what to do, you miserable old goat!" Carla snapped back, but it appeared the old man was used to such things as he promptly ignored her and turned back to Suzie, "Don't say things too loudly. We got reporters out here like vultures, they're almost as bad as Carla here."
    Looking over at the older lady, "You know of Mr. Joestar? Perhaps I underestimated how well known he was." Jinny leaned over slightly, "Is there anything you can share about him?"
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

  4. #19
    Astonishing Member KingofPie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,275

    Default

    Texas wasn't so bad. Heat was something Miguel was quite accustomed to, but there was a degree of aridness to the air, that kept him from getting completely comfortable. The ride there was far worse. Walking from the airport along the road until he was able to make it to the train was perhaps the least optimal method of travel the magician could've chosen, but he was determined to be as frugal as could be. He'd basically used all he had to get to this point. He wasn't entirely sure how the invite had found him anyway. He was staying in a hotel far, far too expensive for his budget, barely clinging on to a job as the entertainment. But no one there had an appreciation for magicians, really. Maybe this state would be different. Locals didn't seem to have much in the way of interesting topics of conversation. They could use a little magic in their lives!

    But for now, Miguel was parched. He was beginning to take back all his nice thoughts about the weather. What use was a hot day without a cool breeze to balance things out? Luckily, he bought a lemonade to go along with his lunch from the sandwich shop. Meaning, he should have just enough money for...Oh. Miguel frowned heavily as he dug around in his pocket, only finding a handful of loose change. He audibly slapped his forehead and shook his head. Was it enough for this next bus? He'd have to hope so. If not, perhaps a bit of smooth talking will pave the way for the next.

    "Estar salado..." he muttered under his breath. Perhaps a better way to spend the time would be by people watching. If he were to assuem they were all here for the same reason as he, could they also have gotten the invite. The thought seemed absurd, they all seemed so...different. He listned in, hoping to get the gist of the conversations happening around him, hoping to get a semblance of confirmation and soon enough...

    Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    "Oh! You must be related to Mr. Joestar!" Carla began, the older lady's eyes lighting up excitement, "Leave her be Carla," Lenny retorted, "You can't be scaring away visitors with your incessant need to fuel your gossip." "Don't you be tellin' me what to do, you miserable old goat!" Carla snapped back, but it appeared the old man was used to such things as he promptly ignored her and turned back to Suzie, "Don't say things too loudly. We got reporters out here like vultures, they're almost as bad as Carla here."
    There it was. Wild. It'd be even more wild if EVERYONE here was a part of the Joestar will. Just what would the odds be of them all being related somewhat? He would contemplate this further, he SHOULD have contemplated this further. But something else caught his attention.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    The woman nodded.

    "Just so long as Nancy understands I want all of the eggs and bacon. I'll even pay up front."
    Pay? Up front? What was this lack of poverty?

    "You musta skipped breakfast today, huh?" Miguel chimed in at towards the woman's direction. "Sure you don't wanna throw some pancakes in there for good measure?"

  5. #20
    The Tentacle God Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dead City of R'lyeh
    Posts
    20,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KingofPie View Post
    Pay? Up front? What was this lack of poverty?

    "You musta skipped breakfast today, huh?" Miguel chimed in at towards the woman's direction. "Sure you don't wanna throw some pancakes in there for good measure?"
    "What? No." Came the response. "And I don't want pancakes. Just meat."
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

    Arxiros "Arx" Inosaan | Inanna

  6. #21
    Retired Overlord
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,170

    Default

    Slowly, surely, more and more "travelers" arrived in the small spit of a truck stop. Busy location for the middle of nowhere....The Bus was looking to be less and less of a favorable option.

    Crowded in an enclosed space with dozens of others was a strategically unfavorable situation.....perhaps the bus driver would allow her to sit on the roof.....?

    Lucy mused through multiple scenarios as she eyed each new arrival....from the obnoxiously loud trucker woman, to the undercover lady with too much cover, and someone with a thumb lighter built into their thumb.

    Strange. Very Strange.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Then he walked over to where the girl was sitting, and dropped the wrapped burger into her lap. After setting the eater bottle down next to her, he returned to his seat and began to eat.

    John Goode loved tackling the complex questions of quantum physics, but he was also well aware of the basics of life. If a person was hungry, feed them.
    Lucys observations were stalled momentarily when she felt something landed on her guitar case with a thump, its deliverer leaving without saying a word. Several possibilities flashed through her head even before her eyes fell on the object in question, including incendiary explosives, a grenade, or something equally deadly.

    But before all that.....years of conditioned training kicked in.

    With a quick jerk of her guitar case, the hamburger was tossed airborne and then backhanded with enough force to fling the burger across the room....in the sudden violent flurry of movement the water bottle was knocked from its perch and splashed over the floor at her feet.

    Perhaps her stomach realized too late what she had done, for it let out a wail of sorrow the likes of which had never been heard before.

  7. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    "Oh! You must be related to Mr. Joestar!" Carla began, the older lady's eyes lighting up excitement, "Leave her be Carla," Lenny retorted, "You can't be scaring away visitors with your incessant need to fuel your gossip." "Don't you be tellin' me what to do, you miserable old goat!" Carla snapped back, but it appeared the old man was used to such things as he promptly ignored her and turned back to Suzie, "Don't say things too loudly. We got reporters out here like vultures, they're almost as bad as Carla here."
    The corners of Suzie's mouth curled, and one hand suddenly began to busy itself with plucking a teased end of her hair into place over and over. Seems this'd cause a bit of a row...

    A mention of that man's name got even these people in the middle of nowhere all excited, and she couldn't help but wonder; this Johannes man, just what had Mama gotten herself involved with? And had Papa known when she'd remarried?

    "No, nothin' quite like that, mind," she mumbled. Plucking the edges of her newly purchased magazine, her eyes wrinkled at the sign of a pastel chemise-tube-top-board-short combination. "Suppose the tabloid press'd be a right pain on this side as well."

    Her lips pursed like a dark, split cherry as she pondered how to phrase her next question.

    "But...just who is Mr. Joestar...?"

  8. #23
    Astonishing Member KingofPie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    "What? No." Came the response. "And I don't want pancakes. Just meat."
    "Looking to build up protein?" Miguel inquired. "Guess you do look kinda lanky..." he laughed. "Uh...no offense, of course."

  9. #24
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post
    Slowly, surely, more and more "travelers" arrived in the small spit of a truck stop. Busy location for the middle of nowhere....The Bus was looking to be less and less of a favorable option.

    Crowded in an enclosed space with dozens of others was a strategically unfavorable situation.....perhaps the bus driver would allow her to sit on the roof.....?

    Lucy mused through multiple scenarios as she eyed each new arrival....from the obnoxiously loud trucker woman, to the undercover lady with too much cover, and someone with a thumb lighter built into their thumb.

    Strange. Very Strange.



    Lucys observations were stalled momentarily when she felt something landed on her guitar case with a thump, its deliverer leaving without saying a word. Several possibilities flashed through her head even before her eyes fell on the object in question, including incendiary explosives, a grenade, or something equally deadly.

    But before all that.....years of conditioned training kicked in.

    With a quick jerk of her guitar case, the hamburger was tossed airborne and then backhanded with enough force to fling the burger across the room....in the sudden violent flurry of movement the water bottle was knocked from its perch and splashed over the floor at her feet.

    Perhaps her stomach realized too late what she had done, for it let out a wail of sorrow the likes of which had never been heard before.
    John was surprised by her actions, and developed several theories as to why she had behaved as she did. He could not be sure of any of them, but he could be sure that eating in front of a starving person was an asshole thing to do. So he grabbed hold of the biggest piece of chicken in his meal, and walked back over to her.

    "I apologize for startling you." He said to her, "I can tell you are hungry, so you can have this chicken if you want it."

  10. #25
    Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Earthrealm
    Posts
    15,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    "It never is," Came the monotone voice of a girl barely in her twenty, sitting hunched over on a nearby bench. On the ground next to her feet lay an impressive pile of spent cigarette butts and judging by the paper hat and apron, she was the very sandwich counter girl who had left Sandra sandwichless.

    "Nothing really matters," She added, blowing out a cloud of second-hand smoke.
    A paper hat and a white apron were all the clues Sandra needed to sort out the mystery of who this woman was. The bitch who was supposed to be behind the counter making sandwiches was instead outside with Sandra chipping off years of her life with those cancerous poison sticks. If she wasn't so addicted, she would have been affronted. Instead, she just dropped the spent cig to the ground and lit up a new one.

    The smoldering remains of her first were smashed under the heel of her leather boots as she replied. "Your job sucks that much, huh?" she said, words colored by a thick German accent. "I can see you're busy regretting life choices, but can I bother you for some food. I'll even pay."

  11. #26
    The Tentacle God Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dead City of R'lyeh
    Posts
    20,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KingofPie View Post
    "Looking to build up protein?" Miguel inquired. "Guess you do look kinda lanky..." he laughed. "Uh...no offense, of course."
    The woman held up a finger to shoosh Miguel, before pulling away from the counter.

    "Sure. You smoke?" Question hanging in the air, Vivian plucked the thrown burger out of it. "Burger?"
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

    Arxiros "Arx" Inosaan | Inanna

  12. #27
    Astonishing Member KingofPie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    The woman held up a finger to shoosh Miguel, before pulling away from the counter.

    "Sure. You smoke?" Question hanging in the air, Vivian plucked the thrown burger out of it. "Burger?"
    "I..." Miguel cocked his head to the side, wondering why a burger was just suddenly flung out of nowhere. Sure it was truck stop food, but it wasn't THAT bad. Okay, it was, but food was food. "Uh, nah," he waved his hand after a moment. "To neither. Where did..." he shook his head. "Forget about it. What brings you out here anyway?"

  13. #28
    The Tentacle God Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dead City of R'lyeh
    Posts
    20,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KingofPie View Post
    "I..." Miguel cocked his head to the side, wondering why a burger was just suddenly flung out of nowhere. Sure it was truck stop food, but it wasn't THAT bad. Okay, it was, but food was food. "Uh, nah," he waved his hand after a moment. "To neither. Where did..." he shook his head. "Forget about it. What brings you out here anyway?"
    "Don't question the magic of Truck Stops, it doesn't like to be challenged." That's how Truck Stop bathrooms came into existence after all, someone got arrogant. Started poking around where they shouldn't have. Not that this... guy would know any of that.

    "I'm here for a funeral."
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

    Arxiros "Arx" Inosaan | Inanna

  14. #29
    Retired Overlord
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    John was surprised by her actions, and developed several theories as to why she had behaved as she did. He could not be sure of any of them, but he could be sure that eating in front of a starving person was an asshole thing to do. So he grabbed hold of the biggest piece of chicken in his meal, and walked back over to her.
    No sooner had she regained her composure following the hamburger crisis had the assailant returned armed with a chicken leg....an unorthodox assassination method to be sure, but not beyond the realm of possibility. As he neared, she reached for the clash on her guitar case...

    "I apologize for startling you." He said to her, "I can tell you are hungry, so you can have this chicken if you want it."
    "....Oh.....you were offering me food..." Lucy paused, thumb under the clasp. For a moment she eyed the chicken vendor, judging the validity of his words. Then slowly, she removed her thumb...

    "...Sorry....I must decline. I can't afford to buy food from you right now....." She stated as a matter of fact. It would be a tactical error to imply any measure of wealth given the situation and local behavior.....not that she needed to fabricate a lack of funds.

  15. #30
    Invincible Jersey Girl Tami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    27,497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    "Don't question the magic of Truck Stops, it doesn't like to be challenged." That's how Truck Stop bathrooms came into existence after all, someone got arrogant. Started poking around where they shouldn't have. Not that this... guy would know any of that.

    "I'm here for a funeral."
    "That's an interesting coincidence. I am on my way to a funeral and a will reading as well." Jinny then looked into her bag andn fished out a folded piece of paper. Opening it up, she reread the formal letter addressed to her as a potential heir, along with directions to the site.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •