Page 36 of 108 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    In the span of the second, the dog was nearly upon Suzie; however, at the last moment, the dog juked the young photographer, spinning a full rotation before running through her legs.

Those watching the animal would find its path headed directly to the hospital.
    She saw the dog draw near...then run about her perimeter before speeding back away. Suzie's lethargic eyes followed the dust trail as it head off towards the hospital.

A long, dry yawn escaped Suzie, and briefly shook the ill feeling from her head, enough to bring her to her feet.

Besides, if it had meant to do her harm, it would have. Often, she found it the case that animals had made their intentions plainly, so by the logic of her tired, let-lagged brain, it made some sort of sense.

If you were running away, you'd have kept on going. But you're after something else, aren't you mate?

Dragging her roller behind her, she followed after it.

It's too damn hot out here anyway...

In the span of the second, the dog was nearly upon Suzie; however, at the last moment, the dog juked the young photographer, spinning a full rotation before running through her legs.

Those watching the animal would find its path headed directly to the hospital.
    Jamie skidded to a stop, staring in shock as the dog spun 360 degrees before slipping between her legs and continuing on its run.

"I-I guess the dog wasn't running to attack Suzie then." Jamie muttered as she watched it head toward the hospital. Though as she watched, a question wormed its way into her mind: 'Why exactly is the dog running toward the hospital?'

Remembering Toby Keith's bus, the apparent death cloud hanging over there heads, and that at least three members of her newly-discovered family were at the hospital, Jamie slipped the thumper back into her back and hurried after the dog to see if it was a threat to them, or if she was just being paranoid.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    Jamie skidded to a stop, staring in shock as the dog spun 360 degrees before slipping between her legs and continuing on its run.

"I-I guess the dog wasn't running to attack Suzie then." Jamie muttered as she watched it head toward the hospital. Though as she watched, a question wormed its way into her mind: 'Why exactly is the dog running toward the hospital?'

Remembering Toby Keith's bus, the apparent death cloud hanging over there heads, and that at least three members of her newly-discovered family were at the hospital, Jamie slipped the thumper back into her back and hurried after the dog to see if it was a threat to them, or if she was just being paranoid.
    "Perhaps he's looking for help."

Suzie walked perhaps a few paces behind Jamie. Her ghastly pale complexion could hardly be dscribed as looking well at the best of times, but every fibre of her being rather disagreed with the Texan heat. Something about her slouched and exhausted manner at the moment carried the deathly bearing; dead tired, she'd had about enough of this day by the afternoon.

"Shan't be long until we see what's the matter, I expect," she said, her bright voice worn with doldrums. "Maybe there's a chance it'll be something brilliant."

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post

Suzie walked perhaps a few paces behind Jamie. Her ghastly pale complexion could hardly be dscribed as looking well at the best of times, but every fibre of her being rather disagreed with the Texan heat. Something about her slouched and exhausted manner at the moment carried the deathly bearing; dead tired, she'd had about enough of this day by the afternoon.

"Shan't be long until we see what's the matter, I expect," she said, her bright voice worn with doldrums. "Maybe there's a chance it'll be something brilliant."
    "Maybe, but considering our luck today I wouldn't hold out hope." Jamie answered.

Turning to take a proper look at Suzie, a look of deep concern crossed her face as she slowed down so she was walking next to the woman as she asked "How are you feeling? Queasy? Light-headed? Dizzy? Do you need to lie down? Should we get you checked out at the hospital?"
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

"Maybe, but considering our luck today I wouldn't hold out hope." Jamie answered.

Turning to take a proper look at Suzie, a look of deep concern crossed her face as she slowed down so she was walking next to the woman as she asked "How are you feeling? Queasy? Light-headed? Dizzy? Do you need to lie down? Should we get you checked out at the hospital?"
    A faint smile briefly thinned her dark lips, and Jamie could see Suzie's eyes were uncannily dark from between the brows to below the waterline.

"I haven't slept since I'd left Heathrow," she said, blinking hard as her mind struggled with something. "...that was about twenty three hours ago, I was rather hoping to get some rest on the way in."

The tread marks in the middle of the square punctuated the disruption to that plan.

"Suppose we'll see if I can get a vending machine cuppa in the lobby if it isn't too expensive, yeah? But priorities've shifted a touch..."

A faint smile briefly thinned her dark lips, and Jamie could see Suzie's eyes were uncannily dark from between the brows to below the waterline.

"I haven't slept since I'd left Heathrow," she said, blinking hard as her mind struggled with something. "...that was about twenty three hours ago, I was rather hoping to get some rest on the way in."

The tread marks in the middle of the square punctuated the disruption to that plan.

"Suppose we'll see if I can get a vending machine cuppa in the lobby if it isn't too expensive, yeah? But priorities've shifted a touch..."
    Her frown only deepened as Jamie replied "It isn't healthy to stay up for long periods like this, because your body needs to sleep. And I don't think that a 'cuppa' is a substitute for sleep."
    - C.S. Lewis

Her frown only deepened as Jamie replied "It isn't healthy to stay up for long periods like this, because your body needs to sleep. And I don't think that a 'cuppa' is a substitute for sleep."
    "Like I've said, priorities have shifted, haven't they?"

Tracing the path of the Rottie as he scampered off at its alarming pace, Suzie's steps quickened.

"More like, I don't think there's been much opportunity to nod off, like? Considering everything that's gone on, life simply won't allow," she said. "...and therefore, life, is cuppa."

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    "What I want is to not turn the hospital into the highway after Toby's wild bus ride." Jinny looked past the girl and to the shut door of room 214, "We can leave, but I need to know that those people inside are alright."

"You leave first, I need to speak with the people inside that room." Jinny had already decided that she was not going to be scared off by a child, even a creepy one.
    An explosion of pain bloomed in Jinny's gut and something struck her with enough force to send her careening down the hallway.

"The only thing you need to do is shut up and go back home." The little girl turned to John, "The same goes for you..." The same unknown force that had struck Jinny smashed him in the jaw, threatening to dislodge the lower mandible.

"You're nothing but a little fish in a vast ocean, snooping around where you don't belong. Maybe you'll behave if I go after Brian instead?"

She saw the dog draw near...then run about her perimeter before speeding back away. Suzie's lethargic eyes followed the dust trail as it head off towards the hospital.

A long, dry yawn escaped Suzie, and briefly shook the ill feeling from her head, enough to bring her to her feet.

Besides, if it had meant to do her harm, it would have. Often, she found it the case that animals had made their intentions plainly, so by the logic of her tired, let-lagged brain, it made some sort of sense.

If you were running away, you'd have kept on going. But you're after something else, aren't you mate?

Dragging her roller behind her, she followed after it.

It's too damn hot out here anyway...

Sure enough, they spot the dog in the distance, heading towards the hospital's entrance. Whatever the animal sought, it was in there.

An explosion of pain bloomed in Jinny's gut and something struck her with enough force to send her careening down the hallway.

"The only thing you need to do is shut up and go back home." The little girl turned to John, "The same goes for you..." The same unknown force that had struck Jinny smashed him in the jaw, threatening to dislodge the lower mandible.

"You're nothing but a little fish in a vast ocean, snooping around where you don't belong. Maybe you'll behave if I go after Brian instead?"
    Landing within inches of a back wall, Jinny curled up in a near fetal position, her eyes, shut tight and wet from the pain. Cursing in Cantonese under her breath, she didn't know how badly she was injured, only that she needed to get back up.

Pushing with her right hand, she struggled to stand up, stubbornly fighting against the pain.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Landing within inches of a back wall, Jinny curled up in a near fetal position, her eyes, shut tight and wet from the pain. Cursing in Cantonese under her breath, she didn't know how badly she was injured, only that she needed to get back up.

Pushing with her right hand, she struggled to stand up, stubbornly fighting against the pain.
    Managing to get to her knees, she pushed herself back up to a slightly shaky standing position, her hand on the wall for support. She then opened her eyes to look down the hallway, trying to see what it was that hit her.
    Last edited by Tami; 01-30-2021 at 12:49 PM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Extraordinary Member

The force of the blow knocked John to the ground. On one hand, that was a bad thing because he was still in range to be attacked.

On the other hand: So was she.

During the conflict on the bus, John had procured a can of hairspray. He never got the chance to use it for his plan then, but he'd never gotten rid of it. Because of that, he was able to suddenly spray her directly in the eyes!

Immediately after doing so, he scrambled away, towards Jinny

"Like I've said, priorities have shifted, haven't they?"

Tracing the path of the Rottie as he scampered off at its alarming pace, Suzie's steps quickened.

"More like, I don't think there's been much opportunity to nod off, like? Considering everything that's gone on, life simply won't allow," she said. "...and therefore, life, is cuppa."
    Jamie frowned as she listened to Suzie before answering "You have apoint, but I still don't think that's a healthy way of living. You should get some sleep as soon as you possibly can."

Sure enough, they spot the dog in the distance, heading towards the hospital's entrance. Whatever the animal sought, it was in there.
    Watching the dog head toward the hospital's entrance, Jamie sped up as she said "Come on Suzie, let's hurry! We can't let that dog get a lead in the hospital, or else it'll be near-impossible to find it again!"
    - C.S. Lewis

Jamie frowned as she listened to Suzie before answering "You have apoint, but I still don't think that's a healthy way of living. You should get some sleep as soon as you possibly can."

Watching the dog head toward the hospital's entrance, Jamie sped up as she said "Come on Suzie, let's hurry! We can't let that dog get a lead in the hospital, or else it'll be near-impossible to find it again!"
    "...well I'd hardly need a professional opinion to square that away," Suzie mumbled. Had she any real choice in the matter, she'd have checked in at the local motel posthaste, but the dangers, potential and incidental alike, surrounding the Joestars had more than spoken for themselves under the circumstances.

And now there were these things in the ether. Best be awares of that as well...

So...what was the dog after, anyways?

"...I don't quite believe he wants to get a lead," she said, "I've a hunch he was looking for help."

After all, he'd sped off until he found them, then dashed off. He was a big Rottie, and that seemed to be enough to put most everyone in town off.

"Off-leash, perhaps he's something of a pack-leader, like?" Suzie mused, her spacy thought bleeding into her speech. As she and Jamie closed in near the entrance, she pursed her dark lips to a soft whistle.

"Aye, boy," she called out, "What're you after, mate?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    The force of the blow knocked John to the ground. On one hand, that was a bad thing because he was still in range to be attacked.

On the other hand: So was she.

During the conflict on the bus, John had procured a can of hairspray. He never got the chance to use it for his plan then, but he'd never gotten rid of it. Because of that, he was able to suddenly spray her directly in the eyes!

Immediately after doing so, he scrambled away, towards Jinny
    John's quick thinking would save his jaw some pain as the can of hairspray he produced was at the right place and the right time to intercept the impact of whatever was attacking them. The sheer force would knock it out of his hands, launching it straight into a nearby wall where it would crack open, spinning rapidly on the floor as its contents were violently expended.

This would give him enough time to scramble over to Jinny.

Managing to get to her knees, she pushed herself back up to a slightly shaky standing position, her hand on the wall for support. She then opened her eyes to look down the hallway, trying to see what it was that hit her.
    [Jinny WIL:01, PER:00]
    As Jinny struggled to regain her standing, she finds that she cannot see anything, but her body is screaming at her as if it knows something she doesn't. Despite herself, Jinny finds that her body is acting strangely as her heartbeat quickens and her skin grows flush.

"Are either of you familiar with the human acute stress response?" The girl asked, before tapping her head, "It all begins in the amygdala, yanno?"
    [John WIL:01, PER:01
    As the girl speaks, John is once again able to catch a glimpse of something. Roughly the same size of the child, the shadowy haze was animalistic.