Page 91 of 108 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192939495101 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 1610

" Wait Celine Dion, like in the singer? My granduncle listens to her own on those old-timey record players that use big black plastic discs," Boris said.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    "For the sake of those unaware of what you're referring to, I will not go into detail. Just be aware that this room is secure from the outside as of right now."

Pocketing his watch, the boy seemed to be satisfied with whatever preparations he was waiting on.

"If that is the last of the questions, I will proceed with the reading of Mr. Joestar's final will and testament."

Turning to the side and nodding, two members of the staff rolled over a tall stand with a large black box on it. It appeared to be made of plastic, save for the one convex pane of glass facing them, its surface reflecting a distorted view of those in its sight. One of the staff plugged in a cord to the wall outlet, causing the screen to come to life, although it was only static, a faint buzzing noise coming from it.

Placing a briefcase on the table, Hironobu popped opened and lock and produced a rectangular piece of plastic.

"Mr. Joestar was always a fan of the classics, although I suspect he chose this medium due to it being all but forgotten in this day and age."

Beneath the large, buzzing box, was a smaller one in which Hironobu inserted the rectangle into, causing the screen above to cease with its static. In its place was the face of the man who had fathered most of those in the room, Johannes Joestar.

Hironobu audibly groaned, "Two Amons? How inconvenient."

The emperor penguin stood up on his chair, although it was uncertain whether this was an act of victory or just responding to the sound of his own name.
    Jamie stared at the video of the man who had been one-half of the pairing that had been instrumental in her coming into existence. She'd seen pictures and clips of him before, but this was the first time she saw him with the knowledge that he was her father.

He seemed a happy, jovial fellow from what she had read and seen of him, and she knew she would have been happy for him to be her father. Though she did wonder if he would accept her for who she was. Her mother and stepfather hadn't, disowning her for it.

Frowning, she continued watching the video as the thoughts and concerns swirled inside her mind, mixing with everything else already troubling and creating an emotional hurricane.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post
    Jamie stared at the video of the man who had been one-half of the pairing that had been instrumental in her coming into existence. She'd seen pictures and clips of him before, but this was the first time she saw him with the knowledge that he was her father.

He seemed a happy, jovial fellow from what she had read and seen of him, and she knew she would have been happy for him to be her father. Though she did wonder if he would accept her for who she was. Her mother and stepfather hadn't, disowning her for it.

Frowning, she continued watching the video as the thoughts and concerns swirled inside her mind, mixing with everything else already troubling and creating an emotional hurricane.
    Jinny looked over at Jamie with some concern. From her expression, it looked like her Half-Sister was not taking this too well, almost like she was about to explode emotionally. Then again, Jinny thought to herself, maybe she was reading too much into it. She thought about talking to her, but now wasn't the time, not when they were in the middle of the will reading.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

" I say our father has one excellent beard, I wonder what grooming products did he use to keep such a well maintained beard?" Boris said.
    My Forum check it out

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

"Don't underestimate Amon. He's saved my life more times than I would like," Johannes said as if replying to the outbursts, "The Foundation will be well taken care of with his wisdom."

Glancing at his notes, he continued, "As of assets, I have already sold off most of the properties I owned in order to prepare for this, leaving only the estate all of y'all are currently in. To Hironobu Higashikata, Lars Ulrich, and Shizuka Joestar, I bequeath this to you on the condition that no child of mine will be turned away should they need a place to stay. Mr. Ulrich will continue to be provided funds by the Speedwagon Foundation for his research, as previously established."
    With this pause, Hironobu picked up an envelope and approached Debra,

"And to my beloved Debra, I leave to you the contents of the envelope provided to you. I truly wished things had been different," Johannes chuckled to himself, appearing to go off track, "I remember you had a habit of changing your hair color, I can only wonder what color it is now. I think blonde suited you the most."
    Debra visible blanched in color, the half-opened envelope clenched tightly in her hands.

"Now it is the time I would like to speak to my children..."
    Pausing the video with a remote controller, Hironobu nodded to the staff who began to usher out certain members of the guests, giving the others time to digest everything so far.

Boris looks over at Amon." You know he seems pretty cool, not like a swan or a goose. Swans and geese are damn jerks," Boris said.
    My Forum check it out

Debra visible blanched in color, the half-opened envelope clenched tightly in her hands.

Pausing the video with a remote controller, Hironobu nodded to the staff who began to usher out certain members of the guests, giving the others time to digest everything so far.
    It almost surprised her that, out of all the emotions and reactions she could have had at this time, as she stared at the video, despite his kind voice and fatherly appearance, she suddenly felt unnerved. Perhaps is was from watching some attendees being ushered out, or seeing Debra's reaction, or how it seemed that the Johannes in the video was too aware of what was happening now, despite no longer being among the living.

Jinny tried to shake off this feeling, turning away from the video and trying to remain calm and focused. Hopefully, her intuition would turn out to be incorrect.

Retired Overlord

It was one thing to see a picture of the man, but to see him move, to hear his voice as he spoke with that rustic drawl, on the surface it seemed he was very much Debra's big, sweet puppy-dog of a man. The moment the spectacles went on and listed the names of the board members, Suzie surveyed the head table at the front of the room, glossing over each of the names in turn.

Celine Dion. What a strange name.

Seeing the penguin stand tall turned her head his way. Perhaps there was some subtle intelligence behind those glassy bird-eyes of Amon?

"He certainly was a man of peculiar vision, wasn't he," she remarked to Lucy in a whisper, folding the fingers escaping her netted gloves and listened to the further proceedings.
    "....Maybe if that vision extended to his own actions I wouldn't feel half as inclined to break his nose." Lucy whispered back, not betraying her stoic stare. "....I've no memory of ever seeing his face in person...or hearing his voice....its strange that I only get to hear him now that I can't tell him....." Lucy paused.

".....what a lousy father....you could have at least lived long enough to tell it to my face...."

Quote Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post
    "....Maybe if that vision extended to his own actions I wouldn't feel half as inclined to break his nose." Lucy whispered back, not betraying her stoic stare. "....I've no memory of ever seeing his face in person...or hearing his voice....its strange that I only get to hear him now that I can't tell him....." Lucy paused.

".....what a lousy father....you could have at least lived long enough to tell it to my face...."
    For a moment, Suzie's shadowed eyes froze, stuck and quickened to the whites as she silently processed the smoldering undercurrent in Lucy's words. For the moment, she had found herself quite short for a reply as the picture in her mind slowly formed.

For most of them, Johannes and the Speedwagon Foundation had been largely separate from them, intersecting with the background radiation of their lives; only now had there been this eruption the moment they'd received their letters. For the most part they'd been living in ignorance and living their lives in whatsoever manner they chose.

Not so with Lucy.

Maman had remarried and moved on. I can't imagine what it'd be like if I'd attracted the special attentions of Sergeant Starr and the OSS...

A small sip of the house dark roast, and Suzie found the courage to say something.

"It's not much, but there must have been a reason for it. I don't like this any more than you do, and it's certainly no excuse, but let's try to hear him out first."

||"Don't underestimate Amon. He's saved my life more times than I would like," Johannes said as if replying to the outbursts, "The Foundation will be well taken care of with his wisdom."||

Glancing at his notes, he continued, "As of assets, I have already sold off most of the properties I owned in order to prepare for this, leaving only the estate all of y'all are currently in. To Hironobu Higashikata, Lars Ulrich, and Shizuka Joestar, I bequeath this to you on the condition that no child of mine will be turned away should they need a place to stay. Mr. Ulrich will continue to be provided funds by the Speedwagon Foundation for his research, as previously established."||

||"And to my beloved Debra, I leave to you the contents of the envelope provided to you. I truly wished things had been different," Johannes chuckled to himself, appearing to go off track, "I remember you had a habit of changing your hair color, I can only wonder what color it is now. I think blonde suited you the most."||

||"Now it is the time I would like to speak to my children..."||

As the board and Foundation officials shuffled out of the room, Suzie's view followed Debra's path out of the room as hollow uncertainty began to well up inside of her. For all the danger they'd encountered, she'd still been the first to reach out to them at great personal peril to herself. Leaving their group alone, a handful of very distant relations, it was almost like being cast off again.

Seated there before the flickering visage on that old TV and the whirring sound of the tape, she knotted her fingers around her coffee cup and leaned backward.

"Here it comes," she whispered to Lucy, silently dreading that the old man would somehow make her eat her previous words to her half-sister.

With the others taken outside, the doors were locked once more and Hironobu resumed with the video.

For someone who was seemingly so full of confidence in everything else in his life, Johannes seemed at a loss for words, visibly struggling before he spoke.

"I... I understand there is nothing I could possibly say that could make up for everything you all have gone through. No excuse in the world could make what I did sound good nor sane. To apologize through this tape and not face-to-face would be belittling your intelligence and dignity, so I will spare you my pleas. I have asked you all to come here not to relieve the lingering demons of regret and remorse I might feel at the time of this recording, but to ensure a better future and perhaps... and understanding."
    It was with those words that each one of them was handed an envelope and a file folder. The latter was filled with every document associated with them: birth certificates, social security, photos, letters, signs that he had been keeping tabs on them. Lucy's folder, in particular, was quite thick, and within she would find countless reports detailing attempts to find her exact location after she had been taken.

The envelope held only a check, each worth one.billion.dollars.

"This is not an attempt to buy back any wrongdoings," Johannes said, the recording starting up again, "This was what you would have gotten regardless of upbringing. Still, should you chose to reject it and wash your hands of this, I understand."

He paused, as if allowing them to recollect their thoughts, and proceeded, "What I am proposing next is entirely your decision. I have little room to ask any requests, nonetheless demand participation. Consider this an invitation to join your old man's legacy, but before I will get to the nitty-gritty, I must warn you; by accepting this, you'll be throwing away any chance of safety you might have."
    Pausing the video once more, Hironobu addressed the crowd, "As of this point, you have reached the point of no return; your last chance to go back to your current lives with your inheritance. As Mr. Joestar said, you have no obligation to continue on and are free to opt out without any questions asked. Do not let curiosity put you into any unneeded risk, the ordeals you endured getting to the estate is nothing compare to what waits for you once you accept this invitation. Think long and hard about your decision."

Silence fell over the room for but just a moment before several people rose from their seats, some sheepish, others apathetic; among them were the two familiar faces of laid-back King and anxious Sonny. Gently guided by the staff, the doors were unlocked, only to be locked once more once they left.

Now was the time to choose.

With the others taken outside, the doors were locked once more and Hironobu resumed with the video.

It was with those words that each one of them was handed an envelope and a file folder. The latter was filled with every document associated with them: birth certificates, social security, photos, letters, signs that he had been keeping tabs on them. Lucy's folder, in particular, was quite thick, and within she would find countless reports detailing attempts to find her exact location after she had been taken.

Pausing the video once more, Hironobu addressed the crowd, "As of this point, you have reached the point of no return; your last chance to go back to your current lives with your inheritance. As Mr. Joestar said, you have no obligation to continue on and are free to opt out without any questions asked. Do not let curiosity put you into any unneeded risk, the ordeals you endured getting to the estate is nothing compare to what waits for you once you accept this invitation. Think long and hard about your decision."

Silence fell over the room for but just a moment before several people rose from their seats, some sheepish, others apathetic; among them were the two familiar faces of laid-back King and anxious Sonny. Gently guided by the staff, the doors were unlocked, only to be locked once more once they left.

Glancing briefly through the file folder, she closed it again and left it on top of the table in front of her. Jinny could tell that most of the information inside was already know to her, common knowledge easily found by any investigator. She also could tell that there was some information that she was not aware of, and perhaps this is what she was looking for. It would satisfy her enough to just pick up the folder and leave, but curiosity tended to be her worse falling. Regardless of what Hiro said, she had already decided to stay.

As for the check, she had opened the envelope and looked inside to confirm what it was and how much it was worth. Then she closed it again and laid it on top of the folder. She considered her options, starting with tearing the check up, followed by handing it back to Hiro. She considered which charities she might donate it to, without drawing too much attention to herself.

Looking back up to Hironobu, "Hironobu, I intend to stay, but I have a favor to ask. This check, I can't accept it. I'm sure that Mr. Joestar, Johannes, meant well, but I have no need for money, especially not this much. Can this foundation take the money and donate it to a charity or something similar? If I tried to do so, I would have swarms of reporters hunting me down, asking where I got the money from."
    Last edited by Tami; 05-19-2021 at 08:53 PM.

Extraordinary Member

John thought long and hard about the situation. "A man who has the ability to help people, must help them. I do not intend to leave. "

Boris looks at the envelope," Hmm, one billion dollars huh, I could use this money to give my mother a better life. This kind of money could pay for flying my mother to this country and pay to jump-start her ventriloquism career here in this country," Boris said.

Boris then looks through the documents in his file folder to find any source of his granduncle Nikola aka Tzar Koschei, in them. Boris was sure that if any investigator investigating him would have also run into his granduncle.

" Hironobu, I don't need this money, so I want this money to be used to give my mother a better life here in this country. I want it to be used to pay for a flight for my mother to this country. To pay for her to pursue her passion for ventriloquism," Boris said.
    My Forum check it out

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

The check felt heavy in Sandra's hand and it wasn't just because of the money. It was a lot, to be sure; much more than she had ever had in the totality of her entire life. Really, more than her and her entire family combined. The money wasn't the issue.

Every problem in her life could be led directly to that man. He didn't apologize because he knew that it would have been complete bullshit. No apology could make up for what she suffered through. Half of her wanted to burn the check right then and there as some vain, feeble attempt to get back at him, but she didn't. It would have been completely pointless and it was a lot of fucking money. Like, life-changing money. She hadn't really had much growing up; suddenly, she could start over, create a new life for herself anywhere in the world.

Eh?

Sandra had been about to stand up to leave, as her first thought was that whatever the old bastard was talking about had nothing to do with her. When Hironobu said that all the **** she endured just trying to get to the stupid estate was nothing, nothing compared to what she would have to go through if she decided to stay. Well, good thing I'm leaving. Right now.

Yet, her body didn't cooperate. She stayed rooted to the chair she was sitting in, stubbornly refusing to abide by her brain's commands to get up and leave. Or, maybe her brain wasn't sending those commands because there was something deep in her that knew that she should probably hear him out. But why?

She raised her hand. "I have a question. Does what he's about to talk about have anything to do with that... thing I got yesterday?" The answer to that question determined whether she was going to stay or not.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleegreyhulk View Post
    Boris looks at the envelope," Hmm, one billion dollars huh, I could use this money to give my mother a better life. This kind of money could pay for flying my mother to this country and pay to jump-start her ventriloquism career here in this country," Boris said.

Boris then looks through the documents in his file folder to find any source of his granduncle Nikola aka Tzar Koschei, in them. Boris was sure that if any investigator investigating him would have also run into his granduncle.

" Hironobu, I don't need this money, so I want this money to be used to give my mother a better life here in this country. I want it to be used to pay for a flight for my mother to this country. To pay for her to pursue her passion for ventriloquism," Boris said.
    "Boris," Jinny reflexively turned her attention to him, "a plane ticket shouldn't cost too much. I can help you with that if you want. When your mother arrives, I'd suggest setting up a bank account in her name with the money. Then make sure to hire a financial advisor to help her mange it. I know of someone I would recommend highly."
    Last edited by Tami; 05-19-2021 at 10:43 PM.