Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Default Will Large Ongoing Threads Rebooted this year?

I was just curious because it seems like that has become an annual task. I'd just like to be prepared! There are a couple on the Marvel Comics side that are over a million replies. So maybe it's not an issue anymore??

Yes, we'll be closing large threads again.

If by "be prepared" you intend to start 2021 versions of threads before the new year, please don't.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 12-29-2020 at 01:04 PM.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Don't worry I won't. But last year someone jumped the gun and hijacked my Doctor Doom thread. The poster Reviresco and I had some things prepared for the opening page but someone else's went in before it was OK to do it. Different time zones I guess. Do you know what time zone we should go by?

EST.

I can appreciate that you had some things prepared for last year, but what you've described is exactly the kind of entitlement/thread ownership stuff I don't like to see. It's not your Doctor Doom thread, it's everyone's Doctor Doom thread. Nothing was "hijacked."

That said, if it was a bare-minimum "Hey, this is the new Doctor Doom appreciation thread" with no first post content that was started just for the sake of starting it, I would have no problem replacing it with something better and with more effort put into it.
    Conn Seanery

Understood. It's just that I started it a long time ago and it did grow quite a bit before it was decided that the large threads might be causing some performance issues on the forum. I have no issues other that sentimentality I guess. I did notice that the LGBT Marvel Characters thread must not have ever been rebooted. It was started in 2014 and has 2 million posts! I don't have anything against it but it must have slipped by the other reboots. I just liked to see the Doom thread get a lot of hits.

I went back and checked when the current thread was started and it is time stamped 12/31/2019 at 6:17pm and my settings are for GMT Central. So it got started way too soon. I guess there is no way to stop that.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    Yes, we'll be closing large threads again.

If by "be prepared" you intend to start 2021 versions of threads before the new year, please don't.

There's already at least one, maybe two, 2021 Appreciation Threads in the Marvel forum.

EST.

I can appreciate that you had some things prepared for last year, but what you've described is exactly the kind of entitlement/thread ownership stuff I don't like to see. It's not your Doctor Doom thread, it's everyone's Doctor Doom thread. Nothing was "hijacked."

That said, if it was a bare-minimum "Hey, this is the new Doctor Doom appreciation thread" with no first post content that was started just for the sake of starting it, I would have no problem replacing it with something better and with more effort put into it.

I don't think it was about that. Before the old thread was shut down in 2019, folks discussed it and agreed that Iron Maiden should start the thread as she had done great opening posts before and was going to be around to update the FAQ that usually start the Doom Appreciation thread. Instead, because Admin let people open threads on 12/31, someone else, who did basically what you said, and who has never posted again in the thread, started it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I went back and checked when the current thread was started and it is time stamped 12/31/2019 at 6:17pm and my settings are for GMT Central. So it got started way too soon. I guess there is no way to stop that.

Yes, IIRC, we were told the Admin's New Year started like six hours before EST, so they went that?
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

No offense, but whatever arrangements you have/make don't mean much to me. 2020 appreciation threads are getting shut down in the new year, everyone's free to start new ones then. If someone starts a very crappy Doom AT before Iron Maiden has a chance to you can bring it to me and I'll review the situation, but I can't stress enough to you how little of a priority this is.
    Conn Seanery

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I'm sure this will impact the Wrestling thread in TV/Film at some point. Hopefully we get a little warning like , in a day/hour etc someone can tell us when thread will be locked that way folks can finish their conversations in it. (I also don't care who starts the new one there)
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Are wrestling conversations so deep that one can't handle the transfer from one thread to another? One thread closes, you start a new one and keep talking. It's not a big deal.
    Conn Seanery

Are wrestling conversations so deep that one can't handle the transfer from one thread to another? One thread closes, you start a new one and keep talking. It's not a big deal.
    They will be locked from new posts not deleted correct? If so, it should be fine.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    They will be locked from new posts not deleted correct? If so, it should be fine.
    Exactly. We're closing threads, not deleting them. That's how we've done this in past years.
    Conn Seanery

Retired

Does this apply to all threads or just those over a certain length?

For appreciation threads it doesn't matter, if they're from 2020 they're getting closed. Other mega-threads will be judged case by case.
    Conn Seanery