Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New Costume

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Not enough red but we will see how long to last
    If they added red in with all that silver it would probably look too similar to Iron Man's 1980's costume (the "transformers"-looking one).

To me, the problem is not with what the costume looks like.

The problem is that it exists at all.

Another cynical gimmick to boost sales for a hot minute. It's a shame Marvel and DC keep having to do things like this.

At this point in comics history, I don't think it's gonna have the same long term effect that the black costume did. I don't think fan demand will be there to anywhere near the same extent, and long term, I don't think the first appearance will be worth anything.

Nothing there for me to like.
    Ugh!

Astonishing Member

I'm generally not a fan of alternative costumes just because I think the original one is pretty much perfect. It's got the right balance of red and blue, silly and creepy-looking. There is a reason it stood the test of time, IMO.

There are certain suits that I think work better in certain contexts. The black suit arguably works better in somber stories, the Iron Spider suit worked better when Spider-Man worked under Iron Man, and the Last Stand suit worked for what JMS was doing.

Even then, those suits work because they don't work, if that makes any sense? Each of one of those suits is typically used to signal to the reader that something is off with Spider-Man. The black suit usually signals that Peter isn't in the best state of mind, the Iron Spider suit signaled that Peter turned into Tony's lackey during Civil War, and the Last Stand suit was JMS' way of saying Spider-Man was old & worn out. They're cool in small doses and have thematic relevance, but I wouldn't want them forever.

I think the only alternative suit that I like just as much as the original one is the Insomniac suit. I don't know what it is about it, but it fits Spider-Man perfectly. I wouldn't want 616 Peter to wear it but I don't want Insomniac Peter to go back to his classic suit either. And even after the Insomniacverse is over, I'm hoping that suit sticks around in some form.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 12-30-2020 at 04:22 PM.

Amazing Member

A recolor. How disappointing.

He had to design a new suit to protect him from the shark he's about to jump over.....

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeweasel View Post
    He had to design a new suit to protect him from the shark he's about to jump over.....
    This made me laugh out loud. Well played.

Words can’t describe how awful that suit looks.

From Last Remains to this.....Spencer trying hard to get me to jump off this ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    This made me laugh out loud. Well played.
    Me too, thanks for the Grapeweasel.

Edit - I'm not going to lie, I'll be a bit disappointed if this new suit alone is the next big change that "alters everything" they've been pushing. I mean c'mon man, Spidey gets a new suit every few years (or so it seems).
    Last edited by Celgress; 12-31-2020 at 01:35 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeweasel View Post
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Me too, thanks for the Grapeweasel.

Edit - I'm not going to lie, I'll be a bit disappointed if this new suit alone is the next big change that "alters everything" they've been pushing. I mean c'mon man, Spidey gets a new suit every few years (or so it seems).
    It's just marketing hype. It's not really intended by the writer to be a big change for Spidey. It's just a new suit he will need for a battle most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    It's just marketing hype. It's not really intended by the writer to be a big change for Spidey. It's just a new suit he will need for a battle most likely.
    *sigh* No doubt, I hate editorial interference.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    I'm generally not a fan of alternative costumes just because I think the original one is pretty much perfect. It's got the right balance of red and blue, silly and creepy-looking. There is a reason it stood the test of time, IMO.

There are certain suits that I think work better in certain contexts. The black suit arguably works better in somber stories, the Iron Spider suit worked better when Spider-Man worked under Iron Man, and the Last Stand suit worked for what JMS was doing.

Even then, those suits work because they don't work, if that makes any sense? Each of one of those suits is typically used to signal to the reader that something is off with Spider-Man. The black suit usually signals that Peter isn't in the best state of mind, the Iron Spider suit signaled that Peter turned into Tony's lackey during Civil War, and the Last Stand suit was JMS' way of saying Spider-Man was old & worn out. They're cool in small doses and have thematic relevance, but I wouldn't want them forever.

I think the only alternative suit that I like just as much as the original one is the Insomniac suit. I don't know what it is about it, but it fits Spider-Man perfectly. I wouldn't want 616 Peter to wear it but I don't want Insomniac Peter to go back to his classic suit either. And even after the Insomniacverse is over, I'm hoping that suit sticks around in some form.
    Who's the cynical one here? Why can't Peter change his costume without there being something wrong? It's annoying as is that they always find excuses to get rid of the new suits, especially considering how useful they could be.

I'm still mad that Peter got rid of that unstable molecule suit.

It's basically wanting "the true Spider-Man" to stay the same forever.

The glowing eyes just makes me think the artist was really amused by the MCU's Spider-Man Stark suit when "kill mode" was activated.

It's just kind of bland looking, imo.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Not crazy about the color scheme but other than that it’s not bad. I like tech suits. All characters should have some type of tech incorporated into their suits. It’s just part of life. A straight spandex suit isn’t very realistic.