Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default [SPOILERS] Wonder Woman 1984: What you LOVED!

As I was awed and inspired by this AWESOME WW film, and once again blown away by Gal and Patty, I figured I'd start a ❤LOVE❤ thread to be a counter to all the complaints and hyperbole flooding aome of the other threads. Please only reply with things you found to LIKE/LOVE about WW84. There are plenty of other threads for you if you didn't like the movie.

For me, I loved every moment, and they had me at Amazons. I will go in further at a later time, but some specifics I found awesome were;

Diana pushing an armored truck SIDEWAYS with enough speed and force to crash into another armered truck that was speeding away.

Diana being concerned for the lives and safety of EVERYONE around her. I point to the mall and to the White House, and to the Cairo toad scene. That is PURE WONDER WOMAN.

And OF COURSE, seeing Diana joyously soar through the clouds!

How about you guys? I've definitely seen some positive reactions, and that's what this thread is all about!

Spectacular Member

I don’t want to give away spoilers, so I’ll say seeing a certain iconic element of her mythos that I was SURE would never be brought to the silver screen made my year! I may have actually shed a tear in the theater!

The opening scene with the Amazons was great. I enjoyed seeing some form of a contest/tournament as I felt that was missing from the first film.

I LOVED that there was no sword or shield in sight, just the lasso and bracelets!!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

- Opening scenes with the Amazons. Especially great to see Antiope again
    - Screw it, corny as it was I liked the mall scene. Especially that cheesy/cute wink at the end <3
    - Gadot has limited range as an actress, but she improved in this one and is still Diana come to life. It's hard not to love her even with her limitations.
    - Chemistry between Gadot and Pine was great again
    - All the lasso and tiara action!
    - The bond between Diana and Barbara was sweet. Kristen Wiig in general was a highlight. The arc was a bit of a cliche, but she showed her range and sold it. I'm hoping for more.
    - The emotional flight scene
    - Cheetah's design and make up. Less so the CGI bouncing around and there is room for improvement, but she looked good in stationary shots.
    - Pascal's hammy performance is somehow both a drawback but also kind of delightful?
    - The way Diana resolved the conflict. Schmaltzy in execution, but love the intent. It's 100% in character for her.

Overall, despite its many flaws it leaves Diana as a character still in a good place so that we can pivot in a new film without needing to do damage control.

Fantastic Member

The whole film .
    Also: spoilers:
    Lynda Carter's appearance in the end credits!
    end of spoilers

-Lasso action, no sword and shield
    -Certain decisions aside, Diana is characterized very well here
    -Max Lord still has no business being a Wonder Woman villain and his boring comic counterpart needs to go asap but I enjoyed Pascal's performance.
    -Lynda Carter's cameo
    Last edited by Gaius; 12-29-2020 at 09:05 PM.

I like complex plots with multiple themes at play. But I love how Patty Jenkins both in this film and in the previous one found one single truth that Diana had to contend with, and the rest of the story was all about that. This one felt even more focused on that theme than the previous one. The way they used the stone and in particular how they gradually ramped up the end of the world with it was also really exciting. You really felt the various steps in how people came to create absolute chaos, instead of it just happening from one moment to the other.

Also, I love how Cheetah ran. Even after she started having powers she kept running like a super intense jogger. It was so fun.
    Last edited by Alpha; 12-29-2020 at 05:45 PM.

Oh and the lasso of course. Gotta love that lasso.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Oh and the lasso of course. Gotta love that lasso.
    Speaking of Wonder Woman's lasso of truth (& also how it relates to her character in general) I felt like the entire plot of the film about not keeping something that was based on the foundation of a lie was an absolutely perfect story line for a character who is known for the truth.

This film was a love letter to us Wonder Woman fans in many ways & I hope that others eventually see that too.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

I love the tone, the colours, it’s not everyone’s cup of tea but personally I think it’s lovely. I love the Wonder Woman-ness of it. I loved the opening scene, I think the cast absolutely knocked it out of the park, the hair and makeup were on point. I think I liked the style more than the substance tbh

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

While the movie wasn't perfect, there were quite a few things I loved about it:

1.) The brighter colors on Diana's costume.

2.) Cheetah's appearance and power-level. She was able to give Diana a good run for her money power-wise.

3.) The mall. Seriously - they nailed the 80s theme.

4.) Diana's flight scene. It was downright gorgeous.

5.) The special effects for the lasso were really good.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

• Gal Gadot was a delight as always.
    • Kristen Wiig as Cheetah was fantastic. The writing may have let her down, but her performance was a standout, and I was surprised at just how gorgeous she managed to get. Like Siege said, when Barbara goes full Cheetah, the CGI battle looks a mess but her close-up and stationary shots are amazing.
    • I loved that the Duke of Deception was the creator of the Dreamstone. A great way to tie a classic WW villain into the film's universe, even if we never see him.
    • Wonder Woman using the lasso instead of a sword is preferable for me.
    • Saving the day with compassion and love? Yes, please!

Retired

--Christopher Reeve/Superman visual references
    --Elements of the Lynda Carter T.V. show
    --Comic book easter eggs, like Bialya, Simon Stagg, Duke of Deception and others
    --Flying in its many forms
    --Clouds
    --Children
    --Comedy
    --Cat vs. Bird
    --Non-violence
    --Holidays
    --Language studies
    --Diana's message to the world
    --Amazons
    --"Voi Che Sapete"
    --Trying to catch all the details in Diana's apartment

Quote Originally Posted by rayray1127 View Post
    As I was awed and inspired by this AWESOME WW film, and once again blown away by Gal and Patty, I figured I'd start a ❤LOVE❤ thread to be a counter to all the complaints and hyperbole flooding aome of the other threads. Please only reply with things you found to LIKE/LOVE about WW84. There are plenty of other threads for you if you didn't like the movie.

For me, I loved every moment, and they had me at Amazons. I will go in further at a later time, but some specifics I found awesome were;

Diana pushing an armored truck SIDEWAYS with enough speed and force to crash into another armered truck that was speeding away.

Diana being concerned for the lives and safety of EVERYONE around her. I point to the mall and to the White House, and to the Cairo toad scene. That is PURE WONDER WOMAN.

And OF COURSE, seeing Diana joyously soar through the clouds!

How about you guys? I've definitely seen some positive reactions, and that's what this thread is all about!
    I really enjoyed the scoring of the film, especially the opening games, the caravan chase, and the dramatic notes used for Cheetah's entrance. I also very much enjoyed the way Hal carried herself truly invoking Grace and regal bearing. I really enjoyed the movement art/choreography and the emphasis on arcs, sliding, grace, and economy of motion. I also really enjoyed the use of the Lasso. We do rarely see it used like this after the Crisis and it was nice to see it used to lasso things with its magical nature that can't otherwise be caught. It was especially nice to see her whirl it to protect people behind her (have only seen that twice in the books since the 85 reboot). The fact that she isn't carrying around a sword and shield as default was also nice. She finally gets her flight powers and the stunning effects for it.

- The color pallet of the film, mainly Diana's costume
    - Diana's core character was near perfect
    - Love Steve and Diana as a couple so that was nice
    - Pascal's performance
    - The chase action scene, knowing she was really depowered and still managed to do what she did was impressive
    - Everything with the Lasso, lasso over sword/shield any day
    - Diana using the tiara like she use to
    - Diana's flight
    - Letting go of Steve, really hit the emotion it needed to
    - Diana's new ability of cloaking things, surprised me
    - Duke of Deception nod was nice
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Pedro Pascal's performance is growing on me. I can't exactly put my finger on why but his performance is very memorable. Outside of the climax, his performance is the most memorable actually
    The J-man